Anyone else tired of the word 'IPOD'?

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
This is how I feel about anything that is overly hyped and overly marketed. It just gets old. I felt the same way when I turned on the tv and was bombarded with 'EAT LOW FAT' commercials only to be bombarded some time later with 'EAT LOW CARB' commercials. Now it's reality television that has something to do with everything that is so completely unreal I can't even fathom how people can get conned into calling it 'reality'. But I digress...

Any electronic device I look at seems to have something to do with the IPOD. It screams 'buy me I have the word IPOD in me'. The sad thing about it is there really isn't anything special about the IPOD relative to some other brands such as Iriver. I can't fault Apple for milking their product for what it's worth due to the royalties I'm sure they see from the accessories on top of the money they rip from people on itunes.

Sorry just needed to rant a bit when I saw a hot deal that was for an Onkyo receiver WITH FREE IPOD DOCKING STATION. It's not like we really neede to know that a $900 receiver has inputs for pretty much any component out there or anything...

:p

*cliffs*

More cowbell, less ipod.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
word of the year: "podcast"
I can't remember which organization or dictionary chooses the word of the year, but they were talking about it on NPR this morning.

ChaoZ

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2000
Person A: OMG, dude! I just bought an ipod!

Person B: What, on purpose?

tRaptor

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
I'm sick of people calling it IPOD, its iPod FVCKERS! Some goes for IMAC, its iMac.

The J

Aug 30, 2004
It'd be nice to see Creative or some other player company to put some TV ads up. That could help create a bit of competition in the market since people will see that there's something different. The only thing I have against the word "podcast" is that it implies that it is something special to the iPod when in reality it is just a downloadable audio file any player could use.

When I got my Onkyo 502 refurb from eCost, in the box was a small ad for that iPod docking station. I don't get the difference between that and the normal iPod dock with a line-out to the receiver's audio inputs. Can you control the iPod with the Onkyo remote-beast or something?

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Great. Now the ad at the top of my forum page is for an iPod (thanks for the correction previous poster! :p).

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by: DivideBYZero
Originally posted by: tRaptor
I'm sick of people calling it IPOD, its iPod FVCKERS! Some goes for IMAC, its iMac.

IDON'TCARE.

I just noticed something about that guy's original post. It's not in the body but more in the name of the messenger: tRaptor.

Coincidence?

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
Not a bad rant, but the subject is over done... 7/10

What I find amazing is that on websites and in stores, "IPod" is considered a category of it its own. For example, on the Circuit City website, it says, "MP3 Players and iPods". Besides the video iPod, can someone please tell me what exactly an iPod is, if its not an MP3 player?

Tremulant

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
I'm tired of all the iWords.

ie: In one of the circulars in Sunday's paper, they were promoting a product called the "iRadio" It's a crappy AM/FM radio for your shower, and it even looks like some chinatown knockoff ipod.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
For one, people who make "reality" shows don't call them "reality" shows. It is people like you who hate them who call them "reality" shows.

Second, I think if Apple were to keep the IPOD MAC-only.. the haters would be happier.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Originally posted by: Xanis
Not a bad rant, but the subject is over done... 7/10

What I find amazing is that on websites and in stores, "IPod" is considered a category of it its own. For example, on the Circuit City website, it says, "MP3 Players and iPods". Besides the video iPod, can someone please tell me what exactly an iPod is, if its not an MP3 player?

Unfortunetely due to the stupidity of people, they don't come in and ask for a MP3 player, they ask specifically for a iPod and if you tell them MP3 players are over there... they look at you with complete confusion.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: goku

Wow, I had no idea there were so many funny comments about the iPod, all stored in one convient place for me to link to! ;)

Except some are retarded.
6. iPod link send redefine 230 up, 165 down
An Apple Computer branded mp3 player with a large capacity solid state hard drive.
Hey John... send me that new 1108 Thugz track so I can put it on my iPod.