Anyone else still use these so-called outdated slang terms?

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
I guess some are saying it's so 20th century.
Well, I am an old fart and I still use a lot of these.
Anyone else still use any of these top 100 relics?
Some I've never heard of (home skillet), lots I've never used, but many I still do.

I have never said to anyone, "do me a solid" though.
And it'd been awhile since I said "far out"
Seriously, "kick someone to the curb" is outdated?

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Most of them, at times. Man, I must be old. ofc, 'knuckle sandwich' was a favorite of my dad's when I got out of line.

Reactions: jameny5 and Pohemi

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I heard "do me a solid" in Final Fantasy Machinabridged. Tifa in that parody said it alot.

Lots of millennial voice actors in the cast.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Yes, a fairly large percentage of those are in my active vocabulary. Thankfully I don't talk to many people.

I also say howdy a lot.

Whoa...groovy, dude...I can dig it.
hey, twist me a J out of that nice fat lid you got.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I got a slang term that the article of the click bait used and should not:

"No one"

It never means "no one".
It means "I dont and I want everyone else to be like me".

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Yeah, i use quite a few of those fairly often. Probably "bummer" the most. Some of those i've never heard before though.

Is there a cloud i can yell at?

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I got about halfway through. Yes I use some of those, now get off my lawn!!

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I got down to shindig and knew the author is full of it. The use of shindig is currently at an all time high.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Clearly lots of folks are still using this outdated language!

Man, that article frustrates me. Going off on a tangent, so:

1. Someone used a word, not realizing it was a slur
2. They were called out on it, the situation was explained to them, and they subsequently changed their behavior
3. That website roasted him anyway

This is my problem with modern media (both news & social)...people do dumb stuff & refuse to change & get attacked for it, then other people do dumb stuff (including being late to the game about things) & realize they need to change & still get attacked for it. Lots of people have LOTS of wrong & bad ideas about stuff, but it seems pretty stupid to vilify people for changing. People aren't perfect & don't have a full set of knowledge or even a full stack of emotional maturity. Lots of people do lots of dumb stuff all the time, but articles like this create a no-win situation where people are always in the wrong no matter what their response is to course-correction, are required to be perfect, and are not allowed to change with new information presented to them without raking them over the coals. Daryl Davis is a much better example of how to create change using, well, friendship:

There's never any justification for bad behavior, but there are explanations, and as Davis demonstrates, people can catch more flies with honey than with creating a catch-22 where they can never be happy with anyone's personal progress. I've come to realize that withholding forgiveness is basically cancer for the soul (assuming people follow through & actually do what they say). I have a few friends who have gone through "militant" phases (vegan, crossfit, feminist, etc.) & were just angry at everyone all the time without realizing all they're doing is pushing people away with their anger & lack of forgiveness. It's a horribly unhappy world they create for themselves to live in, constantly being offended & being angry & holding grudges & never allowing people to get educated or to grow up, or even to just accept the fact that they simply can't always change other people & can choose to move on with their lives (fortunately most of my friends outgrew their "hardcore" anger phases lol). We can see this anger-driven, no-forgiveness attitude in P&N here on ATOT, on various subreddits, Facebook groups, etc. all the time, and even in the news media. I'd hate to be a celebrity & have everything scrutinized, analyzed, and critiqued on a regular basis...like, I try to be a pretty good person, but I absolutely stick my foot in my mouth on pretty much a daily basis lol. Remember the Dixie Chicks, the original cancel culture event?

Sometimes cancel culture is justified, sometimes not. There's been an amazing amount of CEO's who have killed their careers & even their companies based on what they said, and sometimes it's justified, and sometimes not. This article is a pretty interesting read on how online mobs have affected people's personal lives:

Also, this TED Talk by Monica Lewinsky is pretty eye-opening. She was the original global Internet cancel-culture victim back in the day:

Anyway, I just find it frustrating that someone was exposed to new information, decided to change, and was still vilified for it. This is one of those things about the Internet in particular that drive me a little mad, especially when it's completely unjustified, like this dude getting death threats over his truck:

Reactions: Zorba

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Remember Shindig and Hullabaloo?