Anyone else so busy at work they don't even have time to bathe?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Nobody knows if you work from home.

work-without-pants.jpg

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
It is insane. I get up at like 8:30, because I have a call at 9:00. Then I have a call at 10:00. And 11:30.

So, why even bother dressing up and driving in when I can't even escape my home until after noon? Why not just save the 30 mins to suit up and the 30 mins both driving to and from work? That is 1.5 hours otherwise wasted.

Then more calls in the afternoon, tons of people calling me and emailing me about their problems and how we need to talk right now. I try and put out fires, but I'm just now putting out today's fires here well after midnight central.

Have not bathed, smell like complete shit. Taking a shower here in a few.

But this shit is INSANE. Anyone else living this insane lifestyle, or do yall have sense enough to put a stop to the bullshit when it becomes to much?

I kind of feel that life is not worth living when basically every day is me killing myself to try and please other people all day every day with nothing for me to live for...

Well... now I know why your name here is SaltyNuts :)

Seriously, though... Don't forget that "No" is usually an acceptable answer to unreasonable requests for your time from a manager. Most managers that I've worked for are blissfully unaware of how overworked you can get, and will gladly keep assigning you the work of 2 or 3 people to complete until you tell them to cut it out.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Somewhere in South Asia, some poor sap toiling in 120F heat can only dream of having your job.*

*Equivalent to mother saying "There are starving children in Africa, so eat your dinner!"

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Somewhere in South Asia, some poor sap toiling in 120F heat can only dream of having your job.*

*Equivalent to mother saying "There are starving children in Africa, so eat your dinner!"

Yeah but they are mostly hairless and half our size.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Why can't you just tell people that you're not available outside of work hours? So what if their fires keep burning?

I bet OP works for one of those public accounting firms. Work Hours is all hours basically.

There will always be work waiting for you tomorrow. Are you paid for 12 hours of work or are you salaried?

Of course OP is salaried.

It's the best time in decades to get a new job. Quit asap, a headhunter will have you a new job in days.

If you are working that many hours it might be tough to prepare for an interview... let alone interview.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Are you in the US? That's very rare in the US.
Los Angeles, born and raised. Agreed it isn't very common but apparently in it the defense industry it happens
I never understood the idea of working OT without getting paid for it. How is that even legal?
The definition of being salaried. You're paid X to do Y "no matter how long it takes". That's the jist of it.

Reactions: nakedfrog

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The definition of being salaried. You're paid X to do Y "no matter how long it takes". That's the jist of it.

So they can just keep piling more work without paying you more? Seems like a system that would be easy to exploit.

I guess it's similar to being a manager, they don't really get OT pay here either, but they also don't tend to need to work past 5pm.