Anyone else seeing their healthcare premiums skyrocket?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Petros_k

Jan 20, 2014
One of the most unfair aspects of the health care reform, whether it's the result of the legislation called the "Affordable" Care Act (but should have been called the Mandatory Care Act), or the result of how the Marketplace is actually run is this:

If your income falls within a certain range, 100% to 400% of the federal poverty level, and based on the number of people in the household, in general a person qualifies for a tax credit. This helps lower the annual cost of a premium.

*However--and this is often what most people either do not know or overlook-- a person who is offered employer sponsored health insurance is NOT eligible for tax credits, despite having the right income and household members for it, if the job-based insurance costs no more than 9.5% of the person's income (i.e., the ACA definition of "affordable" for job-based insurance), and if it pays for at least 60% of medical costs (the ACA definition for "quality"). It created a circumstance like this:

Person A needs health insurance. Living in a household of 2, he is the only person employed and his income is $32,000 annual. Because his income is between 100% and 400% of the federal poverty level ($15, 510 to $62, 040 for a household of 2), he goes to the Marketplace and finds he is eligible for a tax credit. He buys the lowest cost insurance that meets the federal standard (the so-called bronze plan) and ends up with a monthly premium of $200, with a tax credit lowering the cost to about $175.

Person B also needs health insurance. Living in a household of 2, he is the only person employed and his income is $32,000 annual. Because his income is between 100% and 400% of the federal poverty level ($15, 510 to $62, 040 for a household of 2), he goes to the Marketplace BUT -- when he is required to provide information asking if his employer is offering insurance, how much it costs, and if it meets the federal standard for quality, because this job-based insurance is not more than 9.5% of his income and it pays for at least 60% of medical costs, guess what? The results he gets do not indicate he qualifies for a tax credit. He can't get a Marketplace plan that is cheaper than his job-based insurance. The employer sponsored insurance has a monthly premium of $200, with no tax credit available.

Note the only difference between the two people above is one insurance plan is job-based and the other would be from the Marketplace. Anyone who is being offered job-based insurance is being denied the same opportunity for a tax credit as someone who can buy insurance through the Marketplace. The difference in cost depends on the case, but any way you look at it the person being offered employer sponsored health insurance is denied the chance of tax credits that could, based on the person's actual income, have lowered the cost of having to buy health insurance.

If the above doesn't convince you that something isn't quite fair, consider the numbers that are used to define "affordable" for an individual:

Job-based insurance: considered affordable as long as cost does not exceed 9.5% of the person's income

Private health insurance (including the Marketplace): considered affordable as long as cost does not exceed 8% of the person's income

So, 1) job-based insurance plans can cost an additional 1.5% of a person's annual income, PLUS 2) given it's job based insurance with a cost below 9.5% the person is disqualified for tax credits through the Marketplace, that's quite unfair for some people. In the case above, $200 is $200 whether you're paying for job-based insurance or a private/ Marketplace plan.

I'm not sure that correct, but it's nothing that Congress couldn't rectify. Well, if we had a sane Congress.

https://www.healthcare.gov/what-if-i-have-job-based-health-insurance/
"Options if you have job-based insurance"

If you decide to check out Marketplace plans, be aware that you may not qualify for lower costs on your monthly premiums and out-of-pocket costs, even if your income would qualify you otherwise...You won't be able to get lower costs if your job-based coverage is considered affordable and meets minimum value.
--the opportunity of finding a plan through the Marketplace that could, in some cases, cost less than the job-based insurance being offered is taken away from individuals as soon the employer sponsored insurance qualifies as a) a plan in which the premium does not exceed 9.5% of the individual's income, and b) the insurance pays at least 60% of all medical costs. If your employer offers you insurance that you don't like, but it qualifies, you instantly can't go to the Marketplace and get a better deal.

This is too much power being given to employers. There should be nothing taking away the opportunity for workers to find lower costing health insurance through the Marketplace.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Cause of all those families already shelling out like $800/mo for health insurance (family gold plan) surely they have $12,700 laying around for the out of pocket maximum?

Cause I'm sure thats totally do-able on $49,000/year. Just above the subsidy cut off.

Its not like making $49,000/year is uncommon, more like the norm.

To the list of things I think about the pro ACA people (didn't read their policy, haven't had to use it yet, don't understand how health insurance works if you got sick) I suppose I can add "Can't do a monthly budget to save their lives" as well.

Nice spin, switching seamlessly from families to singles in order to make a point, and an erroneous one at that. The subsidy cutoff for a family of 4 is $94K.

Budget minded $50K families won't usually buy gold plans & they'll be eligible for subsidies, as well. Max out of pocket is $6350 for one person, so in order to hit the $12K max a family would need to have extremely rare shit pile up in the same year. It's not like it has to be paid all at once, either, with providers often offering payment plans.

The rest? False attribution of denial, totally expected.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
You're not accounting for the out of pocket maximums of ACA plans-

http://www.medicoverage.com/health-...ng-exchange-plans-bronze-silver-gold-platinum

"They're just as bad!" isn't an argument but rather an excuse to maintain denial.
Yes cause $6,350 is affordable and cheaper than the before $300 FLAT I listed it was for almost 15 years.

All I ask in life is that you think and really read the details before you respond to anything I post.

Let's start, $300 is less than $500 + 10% up to a max of $6350 Does that basic math compute with you? or is that a denial number I posted cause you ASSume it's some denial so that it makes your pathetic argument seem valid?

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Yes cause $6,350 is affordable and cheaper than the before $300 FLAT I listed it was for almost 15 years.

All I ask in life is that you think and really read the details before you respond to anything I post.

Let's start, $300 is less than $500 + 10% up to a max of $6350 Does that basic math compute with you? or is that a denial number I posted cause you ASSume it's some denial so that it makes your pathetic argument seem valid?

I addressed the part you left out when you were going on about selling a kidney to be able to afford surgery should you need it. You know, the bullshit trying-to-make-a-dishonest-point part.

The rest? Is there some reason I should believe somebody so eager to apply false equivalency?

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Wife's premiums went down 18% for her and the kids for same coverage. My boss told me that he received a refund of premiums this year due to the ACA and said that next year's premiums would be going down but he would not tell me by how much (he provides 100% of my healthcare coverage).