Anyone else planning on going on getting in shape, starting Jan 1st? (any tips/predictions?)

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
I decided to wait until January for the following reasons:

1) Tradition, new years resolutions and such
2) Less temptation after the holidays... plus I havnt seen my mother in a year and she will want to coook for me :)
3) Schedule will change to a perfect one for regular working out (can do it every morning next semester, compared to my mangled schedule currently)

I plan on simply eating sensibly, but no way in hell starving myself. Cardio 5 days a week(I was thinking 3 days running, 2 days rowing), and light home lifting/calisthenics.. just to tone. I dont plan on putting on much muscle, just toning up and losing weight.

Currently:

215lbs
6'2"
BF % ~ 19% (using a scale, so we know how accurate that is).

I will be getting a lipid panel, and cvc (or something like that) beforehand, just to see how Im doing currently.

I'm procrastinating physics homework, hence this post.

Hoping to end up around 190'ish pounds, if I dont put on much muscle. Basically want to lose what I put on in college with the excellent cafeteria food :), and get back into exercising. I'm guessing it will take about 2-3 months to reach this goal, assuming it is attainable.

215lbs * .19 = 41 pounds of fat (yuck, seriously? that is disturbing)

at 190lbs I would only have 16 pounds of fat, IE 8% bodyfat.... so more than likely this scale is off a bit...

anyway...

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Why wait until January 1st? Being healthy should be a regular part of our lives - day in and day out. Best of luck with your plan, though. :)

Crazymofo

Platinum Member
May 14, 2003
So many goals so little time, patience, will power, money, ambition.... I tried to do all at once and failed miserably... I will start the weight loss and workout routine again but I put quiting smoking and getting out of debt above it. So far I'm doing quite well on both and should be able to start seriously working out and eating healthy in May next year.

crt1530

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2001
Well, he asked for predictions, and the fact that he is unwilling to start now does not bode well for his chance of succeeding. EVERYONE is capable of being fit, but it takes will power. He has said things which lead me to believe that he is lacking in this area..

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
He did ask and I agree with crt1530. Most people who try to get into shape fail miserably, and if you go in without a gungho I-hate-myself-now attitude it's just going to amplify your chances of failure. Putting it off for a full month shows that he's not really serious about it.

Also, he's partly blaming his current schedule and saying that next year it will be great. Well, what if it gets bad again? Quit? Yes. In dxkj's case if he truly appreciates what he's setting himself up for he'll be all the better off for it. I wish him luck, and perhaps reading such responses as this one will make him think on it more, and perhaps even put more effort in out of spite of answers like mine.

Eitherway goodluck man. You'r egonna need it.

I'm just being realistic and I'm a firm believing in going into something knowing as much as you can.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: crt1530
Well, he asked for predictions, and the fact that he is unwilling to start now does not bode well for his chance of succeeding. EVERYONE is capable of being fit, but it takes will power. He has said things which lead me to believe that he is lacking in this area..

definitely fair... between working a full time job, going to school full time, being tech support for my family and extended family, and having a wife, I have very little free time.... it's quite draining, and I would agree that lately what I've been lacking a lot of is will power...

I'm waiting until January first for the reasons I listed above...

Free time:

6-7pm Monday (night is supposed to be wife time, but this is when my free time would be)
10am-noon Tuesday
8-9pm Wednesday
9am-10:30am THursday
5-6pm Friday

It's kinda hard to get motivated when you jam workouts into your free time :)

free time next semester:

MTWRF 8am-9am

As for eating healthy, thats easy to do, but it takes planning (IE planning meals instead of just eating when it is convenient, and eating unhealth then)

marquee

Banned
Aug 25, 2003
Me too, I'm planning on getting into shape next year too. My excuse for waiting is hopefully by then I'll have a new job that isn't as stressful and leave me more time to exercise.

I'm 5'11", weight about 180. 5 months ago I was 165. I'd like to get back in that range.

dxkj, good luck with your plan! Hope you make it!

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: marquee
Me too, I'm planning on getting into shape next year too. My excuse for waiting is hopefully by then I'll have a new job that isn't as stressful and leave me more time to exercise.
I don't want to sound like an ass, but I'm telling you now that you need to get a better attitude. Tiles2Tech is right - this is part of one's lifestyle regardless of stress. There are MDs working 70 hours/week who look good with shirts off. You can do it and it will reduce stress from your job anyway.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
He did ask and I agree with crt1530. Most people who try to get into shape fail miserably, and if you go in without a gungho I-hate-myself-now attitude it's just going to amplify your chances of failure. Putting it off for a full month shows that he's not really serious about it.

Also, he's partly blaming his current schedule and saying that next year it will be great. Well, what if it gets bad again? Quit? Yes. In dxkj's case if he truly appreciates what he's setting himself up for he'll be all the better off for it. I wish him luck, and perhaps reading such responses as this one will make him think on it more, and perhaps even put more effort in out of spite of answers like mine.

Eitherway goodluck man. You'r egonna need it.

I'm just being realistic and I'm a firm believing in going into something knowing as much as you can.

No problem with reality here :) This is the first time I've actually tried getting into shape since I've never really been out of shape before.... was always super active until I got to college....

crt1530

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2001
Though I am a big proponent of weightlifting, going to the gym is not necessary to be in good health. You could run around your neighborhood (or buy a treadmill), buy or make dip bars and a pullup bar and you would be able to a fairly complete workout. Running, situps, pushups, pullups, and dips will give you an excellent start on the road to fitness. Throw in a good diet, and you can achieve a better body than 95+% of the general population. I mention all of these things because you can do them (for very little cost) in the privacy of your own home and with ZERO time spent travelling to and from the gym. You could even get your wife to join you. If you make it seem like a huge effort to go to the gym, it will be and you will not go. Stop making excuses. You don't need any more than 45 minutes for a workout (and that's including a shower).
It's kinda hard to get motivated when you jam workouts into your free time
It's always easy to be lazy and unmotivated.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
You can also try various times. currently I'm finding that after work I have absolutely no motivation to do anything besides surf the net and sit in front of the TV. Not sure why lately, but that's how it is. So, I was up at 4:30 this morning for a run and then weights in my garage. I absolutely love getting it done before starting the day, because it's not hanging over my head for the rest of the day. Sure, I have to go to bed at like 9:00 but that's ok :)

crt1530

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
You can also try various times. currently I'm finding that after work I have absolutely no motivation to do anything besides surf the net and sit in front of the TV. Not sure why lately, but that's how it is. So, I was up at 4:30 this morning for a run and then weights in my garage. I absolutely love getting it done before starting the day, because it's not hanging over my head for the rest of the day. Sure, I have to go to bed at like 9:00 but that's ok :)

This is not "finding time" to work out. This is called "making time." Also known as being in control of your own life. Maybe this isn't for everyone. Maybe some people would rather be fat and die early than wake up really early to work out. It's all about choice. Excuses are attempts to rationalize your choice of not exercising.