ANYONE ELSE P*SSED OFF WITH GEORGE LUCAS FOR DESTROYING STAR-WARS?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Richdog

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2003
Originally posted by: PatboyX
Originally posted by: 1YellowPeril
The first trilogy wasn't that good to begin with, except for the special effects. I admit that I loved those movies when I first saw them (as a child/teen). Watching them again made me realize that the story, characters, plots, dialogue were average and derivative at best, and laughably bad at their worst.

So--NO, I'm not made at Lucas. Star Wars didn't get worse, you and I just grew up and developed more sophisticated tastes.

true...
but also: han solo rocks.
i saw it when i was a kid, too and star wars had the same feel as the bible. sure, there may be bad writing, things that dont make sense and crappy dialouge but what is there has always been and that what made me go nuts for it as a kid. now, its like the book of mormon! how am i supposed to take this seriously, a new testament!?!!?

i know that sounds kind of fanatical, but i dont even own any star wars movies...i just really liked the first ones when a kid and have become disenchanted since.

Another comment I agree with entirely.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
I still like IV the best, but I think both I & II are great movies in their own right. I just want to pop them in to my DVD player...cmon.

Richdog

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2003
Originally posted by: conjur
Originally posted by: mpitts
Boo hoo.

If you don't like the new movies, go watch the old ones again.

You can't.

Can't see the *original* originals unless you're lucky enough to have them on VHS or LaserDisc before LucAss destroyed them with his *Special* Editions. Never will the *originals* see the light of day on DVD or beyond.

:frown:

That, and the chemistry in the first three movies between the actors was great. On par with Jaws. The acting in the new ones is so lame, dead-pan and monotone. There's no vivality to the characters.

LOL, I may keep keep posting repeatedly, but I just keep finding points I agree wholeheartedly on. :)

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Pissed, No. Disappointed, Yes.

He can do what he wants with his creation.

I'm pissed at myself for still paying to see them.

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
can someone explain how exactly he "ruined" the first three with the special editions? I don't see that at all.

I also don't think Lucas had really written the entire story, episodes 1-3, before episodes 3-6 were finished...I think he may have had a rough outline of the story, but I don't think he had all the details.

Why is Count Doku first mentioned in Ep2, and we never heard of him in Ep's 3-6?

Has anyone explained what a Sith Lord is, or a Sith for that matter?

Richdog

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2003
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
Calm down.. it's just movies.

Originally posted by: CheapArse
you can't say pissed?

edit seems as though you can... :Q

Star Wars fans don't like to use bad words.

lol, I am calm not as though Im about to hunt Lucas down (yet). And last time I used a bad word I got told off by some geeky, zit-infested moderator saying that Id be banned if I swore again. :p

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
Calm down.. it's just movies.

Originally posted by: CheapArse
you can't say pissed?

edit seems as though you can... :Q

Star Wars fans don't like to use bad words.

its just make-believe.

Encryptic

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
I thought the first 3 movies were great and that Lucas should have stopped there. Phantom Menace sucked mainly because of $#(*@*($#@ Jar Jar. Ugh. Thankfully they toned him down for Attack of the Clones, which was much better than the first one, although it still didn't measure up to the standards set by the first 3 movies.

There's just something about the first 3 that made them great, especially Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. The new movies are just too...."light", I guess. The first 3 were darker and not so special effected-out and over-produced.

Rogue

Banned
Jan 28, 2000
I think some of you are missing the entire back story to it. The Episodes I and II are supposed to be "enlightened" because there is no Empire yet. They are meant to show a prosperous, thriving galaxy that in Episodes IV, V, and VI have been ravaged by an evil Empire.

Oh yeah, and I would like to say that if George really wanted to make some money, he'd release a massive box set that included not only the newest additions to the franchise, but also the Special Editions of IV-VI as well as the originals for people to choose which one they want to watch. Granted, I have the VHS release of both the original and the SE versions, but damnit, I want them all on DVD now.