ANYONE ELSE P*SSED OFF WITH GEORGE LUCAS FOR DESTROYING STAR-WARS?

Richdog

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2003
Well this is the first time ive voiced my anger over it, but for anyone who was a fan of the original three, dont you find it hard to believe the new series of films are so god damn terrible? The originals were a masterpiece of storytelling, character and setting, with an atmosphere that in my opinion has never been rivalled since. The special effects, while clearly older, look 100 times better than the new films, most notably Yoda, and even Jabba The Hutt.

It seems that the things that made Star Wars so great, primarily the sense of character, depth, it's epic scale and just plain coolness have now been lost, replaced with a sewn-together plot and unrealistic effects, as well as terrible portrayal of characters, Anakin makes my skin crawl in both the new films. Ill never buy the new episodes, even though they are Star Wars, I get angry watching them. Anyway, rant over, I could probably write an essay on it, but all I have to say is that Mr George Lucas should be ashamed of himself, after watching the new ones its hard to believe theyre from the same drector. :disgust:

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
They're his, he can do what he likes with them.

The reason the effects were so much better in the old one's is because they were all done in real life via puppetry and miniatures. Today they depend too much on the CG.

amish

Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Richdog
Well this is the first time ive voiced my anger over it, but for anyone who was a fan of the original three, dont you find it hard to believe the new series of films are so god damn terrible? The originals were a masterpiece of storytelling, character and setting, with an atmosphere that in my opinion has never been rivalled since. The special effects, while clearly older, look 100 times better than the new films, most notably Yoda, and even Jabba The Hutt.

It seems that the things that made Star Wars so great, primarily the sense of character, depth, it's epic scale and just plain coolness have now been lost, replaced with a sewn-together plot and unrealistic effects, as well as terrible portrayal of characters, Anakin makes my skin crawl in both the new films. Ill never buy the new episodes, even though they are Star Wars, I get angry watching them. Anyway, rant over, I could probably write an essay on it, but all I have to say is that Mr George Lucas should be ashamed of himself, after watching the new ones its hard to believe theyre from the same drector. :disgust:

the arent from the same director

didnt lucas only direct IV?

ClueLis

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2003

I think you're a little late in getting angry. People got over the whole "Lucas is crap" thing years ago and have proceeded to simply ignoring him.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
The only thing that pisses me off about Lucas is his refusal to release the original three uneditted on DVD. I don't want the SE or anything he wants to push down my throat. I want the original theatrical releases on DVD.

Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Codewiz
The only thing that pisses me off about Lucas is his refusal to release the original three uneditted on DVD. I don't want the SE or anything he wants to push down my throat. I want the original theatrical releases on DVD.

yep same here...

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Greedo has always shot first!!
rolleye.gif
omg I hate that the most, it looks soooo bad.

DPK

Jan 10, 2000
Nothing has been destroyed. You can argue how good The Panntom Menace is but I was quite pleased with Attack of the Clones. Not sure what you mean by unrealistic effects? I think that there are far too many effect shots, and thus something is lost, but to complain about their quality is just plain stupid.

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
You forget that you saw the original 3 while much, much younger. They have given you a lasting impression that has stood the test of time. If youd have seen the new ones around the same time you would have much less of a bad opinion of them. I have friends that didn't watch the originals until the new ones came out (not the way they planned it, they just were around when we had the marathon). Their opinion of the movies: "eh, whatever. They were OK." Just enjoy them as a movie. SW is not a cult, it's a moneymaking enterprise by people looking to make a profit. If GL wasn't going to be raking in the cash, he wouldn't give a fvck about "telling an epic story." And you know what's funny? You'll probably have some lame excuse like wanting to complete the circle or something, but you're more than likely still going to pay to see the third one in the new series. If you hated the new ones so much, then don't see the new one coming out. And I'll call schenanigans in advance if you say you won't be paying for it cause I have to go to work. Unless you're going to get one of the crappy cam versions, in which case you'll be missing out on the kickass lightsaber scenes.

Banana

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2001
The first trilogy wasn't that good to begin with, except for the special effects. I admit that I loved those movies when I first saw them (as a child/teen). Watching them again made me realize that the story, characters, plots, dialogue were average and derivative at best, and laughably bad at their worst.

So--NO, I'm not made at Lucas. Star Wars didn't get worse, you and I just grew up and developed more sophisticated tastes.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I hear ya man. After the first two movies I can't help thinking, if he realized he can't direct (after he died Ep4), why not just get his buddy Spielberg to do the prequels??? Spielberg + Star Wars would have been an AWESOME, UNSTOPPABLE COMBO!!!

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
First off, I am a Star Wars fan, with Episodes V and IV being my favorite. However...
The special effects, while clearly older, look 100 times better than the new films, most notably Yoda, and even Jabba The Hutt.
I just got done watching Episodes IV, V, and VI... And there's no friggin' way the effects were better. Yoda was a muppet. No better effects than Kermit the Frog.

It's just obvious that this second triligy is getting way more scrutinized. If you want to (and are determined enough) pick any movie/series apart, it's not difficult at all. There were a lot of things wrong with the first trilogy. For example:
  • Stormtrooper armor... What's the point?
  • Did the Stormtroopers learn their firearm skills from the A-Team??? They didn't hit a single thing the entire movie!
  • When Luke and Leia swung across the broken bridge, there was a door half open behind them... Why did the Stormtroopers not fire on them?
  • Luke and Leia are brother/sister? Ewwww! (Btw, that seemed like an easy/cheap story "cop-out".)
  • When the Rebels had their base in the Hoth System, they had an impenatrable shield around the base, yet left the vulnerable "shield generators" outside of the shield.
  • Can you think of a less efficient battle machine than the AT-AT's?
  • I could go on and on... But I think you get my point.
Conversely, there are a ton of things that are great about the current trilogy. For example:
  • Battle Droids.
  • Watching Anakin turn to the Dark Side, along with the rest of the story come about.
  • Massive visuals.
  • Better creatures.
  • Etc...
And yes, I realize that there are plenty of things that just aren't good about Ep I and II.
Each new Episode gets hyped so much (especially by the fans) that it can never live up to the expectations. And the old triligy is such a favorite, that it doesn't get the same attention/scrutiny.

IMHO, Episode III has the potential to be the greatest of them all. It has all the "meat" of the story, thus far.

MegaloManiaK

Golden Member
May 27, 2003
Originally posted by: uncJIGGA
I hear ya man. After the first two movies I can't help thinking, if he realized he can't direct (after he died Ep4), why not just get his buddy Spielberg to do the prequels??? Spielberg + Star Wars would have been an AWESOME, UNSTOPPABLE COMBO!!!

I thought spielberg did episode IV? At least thats how it was told to me..

Friend: which star wars was the best
me: definately IV empire strikes back
Friend: you know why?
me: no
Friend: because lucas had the least to do with that one. Spielburg dirrected it.

I suppose i could google for an answer, but i dont feel like getting that stuipid web filter block message every other link i click on.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
When Luke and Leia swung across the broken bridge, there was a door half open behind them... Why did the Stormtroopers not fire on them?

I thought they did get fired on....maybe it's just my memory....

xyion

Jan 20, 2001
Irvin Kershner directed Empire Strikes Back, Lucas directed A New Hope, and the 2 New Ones. He produced/had a heavy influance on Return of the Jedi, which was directed by Richard Marquand. Lucas also wrote all of them.

Luagsch

Golden Member
Apr 25, 2003
after the first apperance of "we ah gonna die"-binks i lost hope in the episode 1-3. just seeing them for the sake of it (an for the birth of darthy boy)

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Codewiz
It's those re-released "special editions" that really pissed me off. I saw the re-released ep. 4 in the the theater and walked out. The new scenes, particularly the one where Han steps on Jabba's tail, ruin the whole story (remember that Han only took the job to fly Luke and Obi-Wan to Alderaan because he was running for his life and needed the money... stepping on Jabba's tail kinda took all that out of the story, didn't it?).

As far as Ep. 1 and 2 go, I'm long over those and how much they suck and ruin the story in the originals. On the grand scheme of things, Star Wars is pretty unimportant... and getting even more unimportant with every passing day.

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: 1YellowPeril
The first trilogy wasn't that good to begin with, except for the special effects. I admit that I loved those movies when I first saw them (as a child/teen). Watching them again made me realize that the story, characters, plots, dialogue were average and derivative at best, and laughably bad at their worst.

So--NO, I'm not made at Lucas. Star Wars didn't get worse, you and I just grew up and developed more sophisticated tastes.

true...
but also: han solo rocks.
i saw it when i was a kid, too and star wars had the same feel as the bible. sure, there may be bad writing, things that dont make sense and crappy dialouge but what is there has always been and that what made me go nuts for it as a kid. now, its like the book of mormon! how am i supposed to take this seriously, a new testament!?!!?

i know that sounds kind of fanatical, but i dont even own any star wars movies...i just really liked the first ones when a kid and have become disenchanted since.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: mpitts
Boo hoo.

If you don't like the new movies, go watch the old ones again.

You can't.

Can't see the *original* originals unless you're lucky enough to have them on VHS or LaserDisc before LucAss destroyed them with his *Special* Editions. Never will the *originals* see the light of day on DVD or beyond.

:frown:

That, and the chemistry in the first three movies between the actors was great. On par with Jaws. The acting in the new ones is so lame, dead-pan and monotone. There's no vivality to the characters.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Electric Amish
It'd be cool if when they are released someone went in and "Un-Special Edition-ed" them. :)

amish

Well they are the only movies that I have considered getting illegally. There are plenty of copies of DVD of the originals that were transfered from Laserdisc. I just want Lucas to wise up and give them to his dedicated fans that made him what he is today. Without the fans then he wouldn't have been able to do the SE versions.

Richdog

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2003
Originally posted by: Luagsch
after the first apperance of "we ah gonna die"-binks i lost hope in the episode 1-3. just seeing them for the sake of it (an for the birth of darthy boy)

Same here, obviously im gonna watch the new ones to see how the story pans out, but i dont enjoy em. And all these are but mere opinions, I still rate the original trilogy as bloody amazing no matter what their small plot inconsistencies are. :)