Anyone else own a Sony digital camcorder? (Update!)

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
I bought a digital camcorder off someone on the FS/FT board and it came this week. Great camera! Love it! But it didn't come with the driver CD.

I didn't think there would be a problem, just go get the drivers for the USB connection off Sony's website, right?

They want to charge me to ship me new CDs. That's just rediculous. Their customer "support" told me there are no driver downloads.

I need at least the drivers, and the software would be nice too, but not necessary.

UPDATE 2/18

ROTFLMAO!!!

Sony just replied to my query about ordering the software CD today, though I sent the e-mail before I originally posted this 10 days ago!

Thank you for contacting Sony's Direct Accessories and Parts Center (DAPC USA).
Your question was: I'm just looking for the software and driver cd(s) that shipped with my camera.

The items you requested are listed below.

Item 1 - software, 307265402 -- $55.95 ea.

Shipping charges and local taxes will be added to your order at checkout.

You may place your order using the link below or call 1-800-488-7669.
http://www.sony.com/accessories

Thank you for your interest in Sony.

WTF??!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
Maybe if you were a bit more specific in what you are looking for someone would have been able to send you the drivers or something.

SherEPunjab

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
okay, i have the TRV22 camera.

I ran into a similar problem. I lost my cd.

Download IMAGEMIXER from Emule. Their service DOES suck, i had to contact them too.

i'll tell ya what, if you still don't get it in 2 months, i'll mail ya a copy. i'll be getting mine from a friend in about 2 months. i couldn't download it properly from emule.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Iono about camcorders but for their cameras, I justplug it in and XP automatically installs it as a portable Hard drive.

EDIT: I don't know if the software is the same, but I can upload the image of the disk that came with my P7. I can't find the cd that came with the P10 I have.

It says SPVD-008 USB Driver 3-072-654-02. Also has Pixela imageMixer ver 1.0 for Sony.

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
:|:|
I just typed up a big ole message and hit "Off Topic" instead of "Reply". :|:|

Anyway, I'm retracting my request. I found my DV (FireWire) cable! Woot!!! Now I'm using Pinnacle 8 and no drivers needed!

So a big middle finger to Sony's stupid "let's milk a few more bucks from our customers by NOT having the software available for download" policies. :|

Thanks anyway everyone!

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah Sony sucks, but not the fvcktard who shipped it without the software.
rolleye.gif

Imdmn04

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
WTF does this have to do with Sony sucks, you bought it second hand, they are not obligated to send you jack. You are not their original customer. You should be pissed at the guy who sent u the camera not Sony.

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
He never said he had it. Not his problem. The camera works fine. Why would I think I wouldn't be able to get the drivers off Sony's site?

Sony sucks because I *AM* a current customer, every time I buy a Sony tape or battery for this thing.

I'm glad I'm not going to have to give them any more $$ for the CD though.

Also, I think I'll end up using Memorex or TDK tapes instead of Sony, and Duracell batteries instead of Sony, and when it's time to replace my Sony DVD burner I'll be looking at other brands instead, and when it's time to replace ANY OF MY ELECTRONICS I'll be looking at other brands.

If they can't support their products, I'm not interested in purchasing from them.

That is how they're obligated to me. Because they're losing me as a customer for any future purchases.

CFster

Golden Member
Oct 16, 1999
Drivers for the camcorder???

For what? To get your computer to recognize the camera? If you're using XP there's no need.

Or do you mean the lame ass capture software that comes with the camera.

You'd have much better results using any one of a multitude of progs out there that do the job much better.

Visit DVDRHelp for more info.

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Originally posted by: CFster

For what? To get your computer to recognize the camera? If you're using XP there's no need.

You'd have much better results using any one of a multitude of progs out there that do the job much better.

You mean like Pinnacle 8 with my FireWire cable?

There's a post by me half way down that talks about what I've come up with that doesn't require the Sony crapware.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
"I just typed up a big ole message and hit "Off Topic" instead of "Reply".

You ARE a putz, in every way!

CFster

Golden Member
Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: DurocShark
Originally posted by: CFster

You mean like Pinnacle 8 with my FireWire cable?

There's a post by me half way down that talks about what I've come up with that doesn't require the Sony crapware.

Actually, I use Scenalyzer to capture, VirtualDub to rip the audio out of the captured .avi into a .wav file, ffmpeggui to convert that .wav into dolby .ac3 format, then I use AviSynth2 to frameserve the captured .avi video into CinemaCraft Encoder where it is converted via multipass variable bitrate into DVD compliant MPEG2 format. Then the .ac3 audio and MPEG2 video are put together again and readied for DVD authoring and burning in TMPGenc DVD Author.

If you're going to be capturing a lot of video, better have a drive formatted in NTFS - no filesize restrictions. Two hours of video captured in raw DV (AVI) format is a good 20 gigs before MPEG2 encoding. I believe FAT32 has a 4 GB file limit?

I tried using "all in one" DVD authoring programs but got less than steller results. There are a lot of steps in the method above, but most of them go relatively quickly - except for the CCE encoding. That can take 4 to 6 hours. I just let my computer do it overnight.

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
I'll look into those. I want to get comfortable with an "all-in-one" and get familiar with the workflow before I start exploring other options.

Thanks for the info though... (BTW: Win2k with NTFS. Kinda weak machine for video though... AMD 2000+ rig with 512 ram. Need to up both...)

CFster

Golden Member
Oct 16, 1999
You don't need a mega fast machine for encoding. What you've got is plenty. It doesn't require a ton of RAM either - just hard drive space. I've got a second 120GB drive that is running at least three quarters full most of the time.

Like I said, the most time consuming part is the CCE encoding - what, are you going to lop an hour off the already 4 hour encoding time? You can't use your machine anyway while it's encoding, even if it's a P4 3.0+. A lot of people have a slower machine dedicated to this (a home theater PC of sorts) - they just let it churn away at the video while they use their main PC for other things.

I have thought about a dual processor system however...