Anyone else noticing bad FPS in Diablo 3?

swchoi89

Sep 9, 2013
Hi guys,

I got back into D3 since their new patch release. Things are going great except:

My FPS drops drastically, and varies so much that my mouse starts to stutter when there are many mobs.

I probably should not expect this to happen at all considering my specs below. I used to own a GTX 670 FTW version from eVGA, and it gave me 60FPS solid (occasional drop to 40), but now I soometimes get 20FPS. Is it because of the SLI setup?

Thanks and any feedback/comment would be helpful.

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
I'm pretty sure they added more eye candy with the new patch or at least they will when the next xpac hits.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
They added Reflexions mostly but your lag most certainly come from latency and server lag imo. Been rubberbanding since release and I blame online service.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Diablo 3 with the 2.0.1 patch got a big boost in graphics. Textures are much higher res, models are quite a bit better looking, reflections were added, and shadows are now more dynamic (they look quite good now on high). And all animations were completely redone (magical abilities and such).

My laptop barely runs it now, even with everything on low. But its using an old junky quadro. My desktop PC runs it just fine (average 90-150fps if I turn off vsync until I hit major battles, then I see 50ish). Although a friend commented his 5770 is having issues keeping up in big battles, where as before it was fine.

A 770 should be plenty to run it, thats a bit faster than my GPU. Maybe having two of them is causing an issue, I assume SLI is disabled for D3? Are you running an older driver by chance?

They added Reflexions mostly but your lag most certainly come from latency and server lag imo. Been rubberbanding since release and I blame online service.

Latency will not cause him to drop to 20fps.

Last edited:

swchoi89

Sep 9, 2013
Diablo 3 with the 2.0.1 patch got a big boost in graphics. Textures are much higher res, models are quite a bit better looking, reflections were added, and shadows are now more dynamic (they look quite good now on high). And all animations were completely redone (magical abilities and such).

My laptop barely runs it now, even with everything on low. But its using an old junky quadro. My desktop PC runs it just fine (average 90-150fps if I turn off vsync until I hit major battles, then I see 50ish). Although a friend commented his 5770 is having issues keeping up in big battles, where as before it was fine.

A 770 should be plenty to run it, thats a bit faster than my GPU. Maybe having two of them is causing an issue, I assume SLI is disabled for D3? Are you running an older driver by chance?

Latency will not cause him to drop to 20fps.

Thanks everyone for your responses. Didn't know that they upgraded the graphics with the new patch, but I seriously don't notice any difference :S

And the driver should be up to date. Also, what do you mean SLI is disabled for D3? Like, going into the NVIDIA control panel and disabling SLI on certain applications? Haven't done anything like that.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Thanks everyone for your responses. Didn't know that they upgraded the graphics with the new patch, but I seriously don't notice any difference :S

And the driver should be up to date. Also, what do you mean SLI is disabled for D3? Like, going into the NVIDIA control panel and disabling SLI on certain applications? Haven't done anything like that.

Yeah I am just wondering if they introduced some sort of SLI issue. Disabling it may resolve your issue? One card is plenty for that game.

swchoi89

Sep 9, 2013
Yeah I am just wondering if they introduced some sort of SLI issue. Disabling it may resolve your issue? One card is plenty for that game.

Okay I will give that a try. Didn't know that SLI can cause more harm than good in cases like these.

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
I have a 680 and a 920 at 3.8, and the game has major fps issues with big fights or a lot of spells going on at once. Turning down from 1600p down to 1200p made it slightly better but ya i have the same problem.

Pandora's Box

Apr 26, 2011
I run the game at 1080P locked 120fps with forced 4xSSAA through the nvidia driver. Only time framerate tanks is on the bridge of korsikk when there's 4 players in a game and tons of enemies on the screen. From what I have read this is a sound issue and not graphics. Everywhere else - locked 120fps

Nov 19, 2011
Make sure your not running raptr or amd gaming evolved app because there are problems with d3 and huge frame loss/stuttering.

swchoi89

Sep 9, 2013
I run the game at 1080P locked 120fps with forced 4xSSAA through the nvidia driver. Only time framerate tanks is on the bridge of korsikk when there's 4 players in a game and tons of enemies on the screen. From what I have read this is a sound issue and not graphics. Everywhere else - locked 120fps

Can you explain moer about the "locked 120FPS"? I too use 120Hz monitor and want to break the 60FPS cap... :( Where do I exactly go in the control panel?

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Can you explain moer about the "locked 120FPS"? I too use 120Hz monitor and want to break the 60FPS cap... :( Where do I exactly go in the control panel?

Go to settings and graphics. There are sliders there for max foreground and background frame rates, as well as a vsync check box. If you have a 120Hz display and can sustain 120fps, then just use vsync. Although its possible Blizzard has the vsync button just lock at 60, and not the actual refresh rate.

You can play with vsync off and it limited to 120. I really dislike playing the game with out vsync though, it has a weird jerky feel to it.

Mand

Jan 13, 2014
Keep in mind that in addition to the graphical overhaul, they've made some significant changes to monster density as well.

Pandora's Box

Apr 26, 2011
Go to settings and graphics. There are sliders there for max foreground and background frame rates, as well as a vsync check box. If you have a 120Hz display and can sustain 120fps, then just use vsync. Although its possible Blizzard has the vsync button just lock at 60, and not the actual refresh rate.

You can play with vsync off and it limited to 120. I really dislike playing the game with out vsync though, it has a weird jerky feel to it.

Vsync button forces 60fps, even if refresh rate is 120. You have to set the max foreground frame rate to around 130-135. If you set it to 120 it bounces around at 105-115.

apoe

Feb 3, 2014
There is little point in getting D3 to run above 60 fps.

Even if your frame rate counter or the ingame fps counter (ctrl+R) says you are getting 120 fps, the true frame rate from the game is still 60 fps.

E.g. if you record the game running at 120 fps and then play the video back frame-by-frame, you'll see everything is updated every other frame.

This makes me wonder where all the extra computational power goes, or why they even have fps cap sliders in the options menu. In any other game I can instantly see the difference between 60 or 100+, in D3 they are exactly the same. I almost feel like it's to trick people, if there was a hard 60 fps cap people might be up in arms, so instead you make it possible for fps counters to show >60 fps even if the game never actually goes above 60.

Also, occasional lag is normal, even if you have the best PC in the world. Rakkis crossing in Act3 is especially bad in that regard.

Although its possible Blizzard has the vsync button just lock at 60, and not the actual refresh rate.

Ingame vsync option does indeed limit it to 60 fps. And yes, I notice the jerkiness with vsync off too, it's the only game where I keep vsync turned on. The jerkiness with vsync off is probably related to what I posted above, the game is just very strange in that regard.

Last edited:

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
It was fun before the patch. Now it is really fun. Its like a whole new game in many regards.

I'm planning on picking up the expansion Reaper of Souls. Will it too use the new graphics additions??

Xarick

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
Moving diablo 3 to an SSD was one of the best things I did. It likes to do a lot of loading. This helps a lot with the hitches that look like FPS drops, but are infact not.

swchoi89

Sep 9, 2013
There is little point in getting D3 to run above 60 fps.

Even if your frame rate counter or the ingame fps counter (ctrl+R) says you are getting 120 fps, the true frame rate from the game is still 60 fps.

E.g. if you record the game running at 120 fps and then play the video back frame-by-frame, you'll see everything is updated every other frame.

This makes me wonder where all the extra computational power goes, or why they even have fps cap sliders in the options menu. In any other game I can instantly see the difference between 60 or 100+, in D3 they are exactly the same. I almost feel like it's to trick people, if there was a hard 60 fps cap people might be up in arms, so instead you make it possible for fps counters to show >60 fps even if the game never actually goes above 60.

Also, occasional lag is normal, even if you have the best PC in the world. Rakkis crossing in Act3 is especially bad in that regard.

Ingame vsync option does indeed limit it to 60 fps. And yes, I notice the jerkiness with vsync off too, it's the only game where I keep vsync turned on. The jerkiness with vsync off is probably related to what I posted above, the game is just very strange in that regard.

Why can't Diablo 3 support 120 FPS??? just like other games??? I play at 120FPS with vsync on many other games (BF4, Crysis 3, etc). It really makes a difference... :(

And yes, D3 is so fun now, I dunno why :S

And I will try that suggestion on forcing 120 FPS rate. Thanks guys.

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
I did notice a few occasions of severe FPS drops in the last week, but I think I have an explanation for my incidents. On my second monitor where my GPU monitor is I notice that when the FPS drops the card is down clocking to about 2/3 its rated MHz. It has never done this previously in this game. I think it may be an Nvidia driver issue or a power setting. The card was very cool and only using 50% or less of its capability so could not be overheating. I noticed last night the GeForce experience gave me a new driver. I will wait to see what happens. Using a MSI 680 Lightning btw.