Anyone else not care about their shoes?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Here is where your cheap yet overpriced sneakers are made

P1-BP887_NIKE4_G_20140421170153.jpg

And here is where the workers that make your cheap yet overpriced sneakers live

f2b4cb817e0fed330fc8ff2e0590113af9d17e28.jpg

This is where a good quality boots are made

nal_duncan022209_57345c.jpg

And this is where they live

image.axd

.....................Enjoy your cheap yet overpriced sneakers.

Playing a game of basketball in quality boots is such a joy. And superb picture example, those are some WTF gay looking boots.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I don't want to see your nasty feet.

:p

People would pay money to lick my feet (I kid).

On the right sandals I used for 6 years pretty much all the time while off-duty in the Air Force. On the left, my favorite showy sandals and my go to the store sandals.
7tERB8q.jpg

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
So, only gay and bisexual men have shoe collections now? It is feminine to have collections of things you like?

Please do tell how your collection of video cards is so much more masculine and straight.

Yes it does. You could also potentially be transgender or intersex.

Gamers are asexual white males so of course they're going to have collections of video cards.

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
Here is where your cheap yet overpriced sneakers are made

P1-BP887_NIKE4_G_20140421170153.jpg

And here is where the workers that make your cheap yet overpriced sneakers live

f2b4cb817e0fed330fc8ff2e0590113af9d17e28.jpg

This is where a good quality boots are made

nal_duncan022209_57345c.jpg

And this is where they live

image.axd

.....................Enjoy your cheap yet overpriced sneakers.

Vice did a video about this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUHkW5mLxq8
From Sex Workers to Human Trafficking: The High Cost of Cheap Clothes

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Your shoes should be a reflection of your sex life.

That's why I wear Nunn Bush.

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
I have some pretty awesome motorcycle boots. Other than that... I have star wars vans that I snagged on an impulse. More people than I thought noticed. People (mostly men...) compliment my shoes regularly

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
I haven't seen Lems before. How do these compare to Vivo Barefoot shoes? Or Merrell Trail Gloves?

they are prob the lightest shoe ive ever worn that was not a track/running shoe, they are extremely minimal with a nice wide toe box.

similar to the merrells I wear (hopefully this link works)
http://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Barefo...3461986&sr=8-1

a lit like my Altras but with less padding on the foot, the altras are also a 0 drop shoe but they have more cushioning, with the lems, if you step on a rock you know you stepped on a rock. not as minimal as say a 5 fingers but getting close

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
they are prob the lightest shoe ive ever worn that was not a track/running shoe, they are extremely minimal with a nice wide toe box.

similar to the merrells I wear (hopefully this link works)
http://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Barefo...3461986&sr=8-1

a lit like my Altras but with less padding on the foot, the altras are also a 0 drop shoe but they have more cushioning, with the lems, if you step on a rock you know you stepped on a rock. not as minimal as say a 5 fingers but getting close

Holy batman's balls I like those Merrells. :thumbsup:

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
the light reflected off them and blinded them? I have no idea.

I only had them on when I was in the office, when I'm in the lab which is like 80% of my day I had on a pair of steel toes - mine are a pair of converse whic look like sneakers

T9D

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
I just like one pair of black shoes for when I dress up, and some boots for other times. And I'm happy. I wear those for years and years and years. Only buying new ones when those wear out. And I don't over spend.

Nov 8, 2012
I wouldn't care about treating $50 rubber shoes (In reality, worth $30 a'la Target/Walmart equivalent) either.

Now $200-300 work shoes? I will shine them myself and keep up replacing the soles. Gotta treat my Allen Edmonds nicely less I want to just throw $300 down the drain.

Nov 8, 2012
Care - I have to be dressed up 90% of the time at work, so I need proper dress shoes. But I think I need to take the plunge and spend some cash on some real ones, because my current one already has a hole through the sole inside. I had to get a Dr. Scholl's insert for it. I think they're Florsheims or something like that, which I'm sure to ATOT is utter crap. I also care somewhat about my running shoes. Brooks has been the most comfortable for me for the last few years until I tried a pair of Nike's. Still not 100% convinced on Nike's but this pair has been good to me so far.

Other than that, I hate to wear shoes. I wear flip flops as much as possible. They're the most comfortable for me as my feet get really hot in any shoe.

An honest recommendation if you need to be dressed up a lot for work and need to build a closet: eBay.

Buy a variety of nice dress shoes on eBay (assuming you don't care someone else's foot has been inside a shoe (oh noez clean it first). I've found brand spanking new $300 shoes for $40 shipped. I have to dress-up everyday too, which means I need different shades of brown, burgundy, and the standard black. Toss in cold vs. hot weather and I also need some boot variety for keeping warm but still looking professional.

If I bought everything brand new I would have a new car.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Sketchers outlet is where I get my shoes. Pretty nice shoes. I buy two pair at a time, buy one get the second half off. $70.00 and I get two nice pairs of shoes. I make them last until I am embarrassed to wear them.

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
I don't have to dress up, I kept a pair of utilitarian leather shoes for 10 years but now they're starting to let water in a bit and the sole is quite worn.
So I now bought a bunch in the quest of finding something that is as comfortable, but without spending too much money.
Mostly cheap sneakers, and a pair of hiking shoes.
I think the hiking shoes I bought are going to be the real replacement for bigger things like holidays, although I have to test them in hot weather to see if they're too warm (they're not the vented kind). The sneakers are ok for going to work or small walks in the city though. They do feel cheap in the feet.

In the summer I use flip-flops except for serious walks.

I also have hiking boots, those usually last 10 years or so.
I'd say I care about shoes for what concerns comfort and utility, the looks less so.

Last edited: