Question Anyone else mixed & matched their CPU HSF?

Ralfi

Aug 26, 2021
Hey.

I initially cooled my 5600x with a cheap DeepCool Gammaxx 400 v2 HSF. It worked very well, but noise was noticeable in the mid to high range.

So I then purchased some Arctic case fans (Bionix P120 ARGB) for the front of my rig, which worked out nicely.

Due to circumstances, I was able to acquire another of these fans at no charge & so decided to use it on the CPU cooler (with cable ties, due to them being 30mm thick).

Cooling performance was matched at lower RPM/Noise, & now I have a higher RPM range to work with, should the CPU need it.

Total cost of this combo is AU$64, so not a ridiculous asking price when I’m getting decent cooling, noise & now matching aesthetics with my front fans…

7748637E-6243-4C73-90E6-1651E281C63A.jpeg

I know it’s not recommended practice to split a heatsink with the fan it came with, but I think it’s worked out well here.

Has anyone else done anything similar?

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
I wouldn't say it's not recommended. You have lots of room to do what you want with fans. For AIOs for example you can get some Noctua PPC 2000/3000 fans and really amp up the static pressure if you want.

Reactions: Ralfi

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Why not? I use a Scythe Mugen 5 with an Arctic Bionix P120. Better cooling and looks. $63 total.

Attachments

• 101_2235.JPG
    101_2235.JPG
    566 KB · Views: 20

Ralfi

Aug 26, 2021
I wouldn't say it's not recommended. You have lots of room to do what you want with fans. For AIOs for example you can get some Noctua PPC 2000/3000 fans and really amp up the static pressure if you want.
Yeah, another benefit of the fan switch was the improved static pressure of the P120.
Why not? I use a Scythe Mugen 5 with an Arctic Bionix P120. Better cooling and looks. $63 total.
Nice.

I think I may have seen some reviewers mention that switching fans can lead to worse performance as the HSF was tested to work with the original Heatsink & Fan combo.

That may be the case in some situations, but I think more often than not, plonking a well known brand's fan onto a budget Heatsink should result in a better performing cooler.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I did this years ago. In 2008, I paired up those ugly Noctua fans with a Thermalright tower heatsink. Customer wanted function over form. In that case, a quieter computer.

Aug 16, 2021
I know it’s not recommended practice to split a heatsink with the fan it came with, but I think it’s worked out well here.

Has anyone else done anything similar?
It is rare? lol I have done that all the time. I thought that you are more or less supposed to do that, if you have some preferences other than what manufacturer thinks is the best. Don't mind screaming cooler, slap some industrials, want some real silence, slap some super slow fans. After all, they are selling you a heatsink, mounting stuff and likely some e-waste or maybe not so e-waste fan. Particularly with super budget brands like DeepCool, you can't really expect to get a properly made fan. Considering how cheap some of their coolers are, let's just say that their fans might be somewhat sketchy.