Anyone else have the Jabra All-In-One Earset?

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
Just bought this yesterday from Radio Shack. The guy told me that the microphone is built into the earpiece and picks up sound waves through your cheekbones. He also claimed that he could use it in his car with music playing and the only thing people could hear was him.

So far the people I've called said my voice sounds natural. But when I used it outside when the wind was blowing they couldn't hear me at all. Then I noticed that there seems to be a microphone built into the part that sticks out of my ear, not the part actually in my ear. Which means that it's picking up sound coming out of my mouth, not through my cheekbones right?

I have some more testing to do to determine if this thing is worth $40...anybody else with this unit have opinions on it? Found anything better? BTW, there are Jabra Earbud units that go for $20, but those have the mics on a lapel. Not the same thing.

The pluses so far are that it's really small and the eargels fit well. The little button on the cord to answer the phone is useful too. BTW I have a Samsung N200 with Sprint PCS service.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Waves through the cheekbones? Bull. There's a mic that pics up your voice. I will say that it is a great little unit. I picked up an OEM version for $10 somewhere or other, though I've yet to actually use it:p $40 is a rip. I'd say return it and get it somewhere else cheaper. I've seen it at Compucrap free after rebate on one occasion. I wouldn't shell out more then $20 for something like that.

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I got one for free when I beta tested for Jabra. It worked pretty well.. yeah it did have problems when it was windy.
But you actually LISTENED TO A RADIO SHACK EMPLOYEE? You know they won't hire you if you have an IQ over 40 right?
I have NEVER gotten a piece of correct information from one of those fsking retards in my life; it surprises me not that he told you that it "picks up sound waves through your cheekbones".. but you should have known better than to listen to him, I mean the microphone is right there on the outside in plain view..

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
Originally posted by: amnesiac 2.0
I got one for free when I beta tested for Jabra. It worked pretty well.. yeah it did have problems when it was windy.
But you actually LISTENED TO A RADIO SHACK EMPLOYEE? You know they won't hire you if you have an IQ over 40 right?
I have NEVER gotten a piece of correct information from one of those fsking retards in my life; it surprises me not that he told you that it "picks up sound waves through your cheekbones".. but you should have known better than to listen to him, I mean the microphone is right there on the outside in plain view..

Which is why I asked about the return policy and posted this thread. :) So far I like it, but heck, Sprint is selling them for $15 less. :p

This one obviously doesn't do this, but shouldn't it be possible to make a mike that works this way? I mean, the reason our voices sound different to us when we talk versus when we hear a recording of our voice is that we hear our voices resonating through our skull...

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: KingNothing
Originally posted by: amnesiac 2.0

Which is why I asked about the return policy and posted this thread. :) So far I like it, but heck, Sprint is selling them for $15 less. :p

This one obviously doesn't do this, but shouldn't it be possible to make a mike that works this way? I mean, the reason our voices sound different to us when we talk versus when we hear a recording of our voice is that we hear our voices resonating through our skull...

I've seen earpieces which transmit sound by vibrating the bone near your ear, but AFAIK it would be difficult to do the other way around since traditional mics pick up vibrating air.