Anyone else have a dash cam in their car?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Yep, not surprised. I watched a car change lanes into a pickup truck on the McClintock exit on 60W a few weeks ago...

linjy2

Jun 30, 2005
man i want to buy that black vue. do they sell it in the usa? and how much does it cost?

mainly want to put it on my car since i get door dinged or people do hit and runs where I work.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Do they have any that always records, but doesn't?
Not sure how to explain this, but trucking companies use these.
It always records, but dumps it's memory constantly. Hitting a button, records the last 30 seconds.
Yes, this is exactly what I posted above and is the essential function of a true dash cam.

I think it was on englishrussia.com I saw a cab driver or a small bus driver in russia with a dash cam. Was funny--guy was so tired of people cutting him off and then braking that he just kept rear-ending people more or less deliberately. He eventually got caught and didn't kill or hurt anybody but was rather funny to watch.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Yes, this is exactly what I posted above and is the essential function of a true dash cam.

I think it was on englishrussia.com I saw a cab driver or a small bus driver in russia with a dash cam. Was funny--guy was so tired of people cutting him off and then braking that he just kept rear-ending people more or less deliberately. He eventually got caught and didn't kill or hurt anybody but was rather funny to watch.

There is a "In Soviet Russua" joke somewhere in there.

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010

6-series BMW?

35mtnw.jpg

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Anyone else run a dash cam? Got a suggestion that's NOT a $269 GoPro?

The only real reason it's needed is for watching your laps at a track. Other than that it's for people want to invade the privacy of others or just be creepy in general. See a hot girl in the car next to you, just get some shots of her with you dash cam! Insurance claim defense my ass.

If you see some driving like a fvcktard take a video with your phone.

see: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=33758766&posted=1#post33758766

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I'll pass on Geeks, they've burnt me one too many times. I'd rather gamble on ebay, but I'll look to see if I can find another retailer with that model. Videos are far superior to the one I got. I'll have to record a clip and upload it.

Here's a guy who compares the Sylvania HD1Z along with a Kodak model, keep in mind the Kodak goes for around $130-140 vs the 20-40 for the Sylvania unit. It looks like the HD1Z struggles to find the white balance constantly..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB1CGL6d7ug&feature=related

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
So if someone steals your dash cam, the thief will then know where you live?

Are you a vampire or something? What is wrong with people knowing where you live?

Instead of a dedicated dash cam, is there a good app to run your android phone as a dash cam? I imagine if you had the right GPS mount you could cut a hole for camera access to keep your phone mounted in a position to record your driving, but a proper app would make it much easier. Could even have the app upload your videos to a server.

Seems like such an obvious solution, I'd be surprised if there isn't one.

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
the ones i've used in the past used to overwrite automatically after hitting the SD card limit. it had an event feature and a sensor where if you hit a bump it would record that event to a different folder that didn't get deleted. you could also schedule the recording to kick off on impact.

you can also use tools to prevent draining the battery if you plan to record while away from vehicle (see power magic pro)

http://www.blackvue.com.sg/products.html

Black view eh?

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I was thinking about getting one for my current commute. I drive up to Paradise in Mt. Rainier National Park daily. I thought a gopro vid of the drive up or down for starters, then stop and take some still photos and make a presentation of it.
Insert the stills at the appropriate place, maybe some narration.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I grabbed a Kodak from one of the sales for I think $20 or 30 so it looks like I got a decent grab.

If you got the same model Kodak that was used in the comparison than you got a steal, they're going for $120-130 right now. I think these units might use the same CCD device but the processing is tons better in the Kodak and it shows in the smoothness..

FuzzyDunlop

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2008
planning on getting the iTronics ITB-100HD next month for rear monitoring.

btw, check out for dash cam lulz
http://www.killsometime.com/videos/9000/Driver-Gets-Revenge-On-Car-Trying-To-Cut-In

WTF, that was stupid. Just let the asshole in and forget about it. It looks like almost all those drivers are crazy though.
Where is that from?

Someone once described driving in India and Pakistan to me: similar to walking thru a packed mall. Everybody just weaves and winds until they find a group of people going in a similar direction. Sometimes you bump into people, especially if youre in a hurry, which most people are.

Here's a guy who compares the Sylvania HD1Z along with a Kodak model, keep in mind the Kodak goes for around $130-140 vs the 20-40 for the Sylvania unit. It looks like the HD1Z struggles to find the white balance constantly..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB1CGL6d7ug&feature=related

I really want to punch that guys hair.

Last edited:

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
I was thinking about getting one for my current commute. I drive up to Paradise in Mt. Rainier National Park daily. I thought a gopro vid of the drive up or down for starters, then stop and take some still photos and make a presentation of it.
Insert the stills at the appropriate place, maybe some narration.

one good thing about the blackvue is that the software allows you to take still images directly from the video. its handy. wait for the 2nd gen model though coming soon (dr400g-hd II), lot of heat-related complaints on the first one.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
WTF, that was stupid. Just let the asshole in and forget about it. It looks like almost all those drivers are crazy though.
Where is that from?

Someone once described driving in India and Pakistan to me: similar to walking thru a packed mall. Everybody just weaves and winds until they find a group of people going in a similar direction. Sometimes you bump into people, especially if youre in a hurry, which most people are.

I really want to punch that guys hair.

Yea, he's annoying but gets the job done anyway..

Bacstar

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2006
Do they make a cam that has a 360 degree view? Stuff can happen from any direction. Maybe ceiling mounted "pod" with cameras for each side or maybe a fisheye lens software-correctable view. Our cameras at work have this feature which is pretty awesome.

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
If you got the same model Kodak that was used in the comparison than you got a steal, they're going for $120-130 right now. I think these units might use the same CCD device but the processing is tons better in the Kodak and it shows in the smoothness..

It does 1080p but I forget the exact model, Playtouch or something? Either way, it was really cheap and is loads and loads better than the ebay cam I had before.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Are you a vampire or something? What is wrong with people knowing where you live?

Instead of a dedicated dash cam, is there a good app to run your android phone as a dash cam? I imagine if you had the right GPS mount you could cut a hole for camera access to keep your phone mounted in a position to record your driving, but a proper app would make it much easier. Could even have the app upload your videos to a server.

Seems like such an obvious solution, I'd be surprised if there isn't one.
I know there is one for the iphone, but not sure if it's good or not.

----

I don't want a pocket camcorner that requires interaction. I think a dash cam needs to be the real deal: plug it into the 12V and it just does everything automatically cycling out old footage.

The CarProCam is on amazon well reviewed, also on newegg. I don't know why these things have screens; I don't want a screen I'm ok with using it only on a PC.

Last edited:

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
You know what I'm really really surprised that GPS devices have not already gone mainstream with dash cam functionality. They already have the GPS, the screen, the power source, they are in the correct location. How many people would pay an extra $30 or 40 to have a low end HD camera built into it? I believe a ton would. I think this is a missed opportunity.

HarryLui

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2001
one good thing about the blackvue is that the software allows you to take still images directly from the video.

I can do the same thing by using the Print Screen button while playing video on VLC.

Cheap Flip MinoHD.

camera.jpg

FNG_2993.jpg

Oh, accident last week.

july12_51.jpg

Last edited:

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
I can do the same thing by using the Print Screen button while playing video on VLC.

Cheap Flip MinoHD.

camera.jpg

/QUOTE]

no issues with CA cops? you know with the whole "nothing mounted on windshield" law...

The other thing is it attracts unwanted attention...would really hate a smash-and-grab where the damage caused is much more than the cheapy camera

rsutoratosu

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2011
Gonna chime in, I have 2 contourHD and 1 drift cam, not as well known but website is http://driftinnovation.com/ and good old iphone 3GS. 4 has a 1 hour limit and stops when its recording, 3gs did not.

iPhone 3gs mount on a tomtom gps dock. Fits very nice and easily remove when i get out of the car. You can CHARGE and record at the same time. The only problem is with the big screen, people behind you can see, I usually turn the brightness all the way down. 32gb is alot of recordings on this guy, I dont use it anymore since the contour and drift are now 1080p
tsx-mount.jpg

This is the drift cam using a RAM headrest mount.. Its got a camera quick release so I can pull that out of the car when I want. Drift lets you charge and record at the same time. I usually just throw a cap on it so it just looks like a cap holder
z4-ram02.jpg

Third mount is the cruisecam mount. Its fitted with the same quick release I use on the ram mount and I usually have my contour camera mounted on this. Contour cameras are okay, the only thing is you can't charge and record at the same time. So I usually use this on my shorter trips or carry the extra battery.

http://www.cruisecam.com/products.html

All of these started out as paintball cameras, it just doubles as my car cam now. 32gb memory card are so cheap, i just carry spares, i have all my rides saved up for now, so probably start deleting them when the server gets full

Why do I have car cam ? this asshole nyc taxi driver plow into me in 1999 and pushed me into the car in front. Luckily there was no damage to my car front or rear, 0 paint chip. The asshole in front tried to sue me for 5 millions dollars and took 5 years for the insurance and lawyers to settle. yes the asshole file the suit 3 days before statue of limitation expired