Anyone else hate videos instead of written articles?

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Went on Gamespot and IGN for Xbox One coverage... its all videos. With ads for each one of course.

I'd say 90% of the time I just want to read x, not see some schmoes talk about x, especially with video game reviews.

Is it just easier to make videos, are they more popular with young kids?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Hate videos, especially with technical how-tos. Sometimes a video is useful, but it usually makes things harder to follow, and refer to specific parts.

Mixolydian

Lifer
Nov 7, 2011
gilramirez.net
With written articles, it's easier to skim through and find the important info you need.

I skip just about all videos, especially news videos and how-to's.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Whenever I open a news link and it is a video, I generally have the window closed before its done buffering.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
I hate videos. I refuse to watch them. I want to read text and maybe throw in a few damn pictures. I can read the entire article faster than they can get through their stupid video intros.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Yes, I avoid them most of the time and close it the second the ad usually starts.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
Yeah. I hate when someone posts a thread and the only thing in the OP is a video.

"Hay guise wat about this"?

[youtube link]

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
Whenever I open a news link and it is a video, I generally have the window closed before its done buffering.

Me too!

The trend seems to be toward more videos, which I ascribe to their interest in forcing us to watch ads.

:'(

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
I'm pretty much the same, except that I like Yahtzee's Zero Punctuation Reviews, although that probably doesn't count because it is not FMV

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
With written articles, it's easier to skim through and find the important info you need.

I skip just about all videos, especially news videos and how-to's.

Same here. I hate when I see a headline or something that interests me and I click on it expecting an article, only to be confronted with a video.

Vic Vega

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2010
I hate when I click a link for a news article and there is a video instead.

I don't oppose videos - but usually when I am browsing the news I am not in a position to watch a video AKA at work...

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
Very, very few are capable of making a user-friendly video. Even on Youtube not many people take advantage of timestamp linking for things like reviews. It's outright annoying for news segments, because they tie in to 3+ different cookied sites before you can access the damned thing...except there's ~20 on the page and you have to figure out which ones apply.

Unheard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2003
I'm the same way. Recently was trying to start learning Ruby on Rails and the first site I come to is a video tutorial. Just give me a bunch of text I can read, I don't care what you look like.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Videos should always be a secondary option for news. Meaning that it should never be on autoplay, should not be the leading item, but it's fine if it's there at the end of the page.

Ricky Spanish

May 20, 2013
Usually yes but in the last year it has become impossible for me to read more than a couple paragraphs before it all becomes mashed together and cannot concentrate either.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Yep. I'm generally listening to music and can gather information faster through reading than watching a two minute video.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
For news, if it's a video with text, I read the text. If it's only a video, I close the window.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I like videos in certain situations like DIY how-to's (though most of them kinda suck and skip the actual details) but for most stuff I prefer written. A proper written article with pictures where it counts can be better than a video.

Llwellyn

Feb 29, 2012
I absolutely hate this, both in posts and on my news sites and sites I search. I realize you want ad revenue, but for shit's sake, post text AND the video! If the story was worth reading, it's worth watching the video. If it wasn't worth reading, I wasn't gonna f---ing watch it anyway, and you're not getting the ad revenue either way!

CNN.com is especially bad about this; over half of their articles are video only without even a summary; just a headline that's a link to a video. At least the iReport videos sometimes have some kind of short article to go with them, but their own stories don't have jack shit. I read news at work, and I want to READ NEWS at work, not watch it!

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
I absolutely hate this, both in posts and on my news sites and sites I search. I realize you want ad revenue, but for shit's sake, post text AND the video! If the story was worth reading, it's worth watching the video. If it wasn't worth reading, I wasn't gonna f---ing watch it anyway, and you're not getting the ad revenue either way!

CNN.com is especially bad about this; over half of their articles are video only without even a summary; just a headline that's a link to a video. At least the iReport videos sometimes have some kind of short article to go with them, but their own stories don't have jack shit. I read news at work, and I want to READ NEWS at work, not watch it!

Everyone should have given up on CNN by now.
Reuters and AP are good. Al Jazeera, BBC, and euronews on cable for video.

CNN, Fox, MSNBC, etc are all entertainment outlets as much as they are news sources. I can't stand watching them or using their websites.

Last edited: