Anyone else hate this new "Described video" thing?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I notice more and more channel/shows are using it now. Basically it's a voice over describing what's going on, and it's meant for blind people. Problem is, they have it on the standard channels forcing everyone to have to listen to it, gets annoying. They should at least have separate channels specifically for blind people and just play the show there at the same time as the standard channel. #firstworldproblem

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Isin't it part of the actual broadcast? Or is it sent separately somehow, kinda like CC? Where would I check to turn it off? My TV/cable box is from before this came out, wondering if unsupported devices just get it on by default as it does not know what to do with the data?

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Your rant will not be taken into consideration unless you provide the following information

channel/show name/example?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Was watching Discovery. Never ever do this at home. Oddly, Mythbusters was before and it was not doing it. I've also watched that show before and it did not do it.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Isin't it part of the actual broadcast? Or is it sent separately somehow, kinda like CC? Where would I check to turn it off? My TV/cable box is from before this came out, wondering if unsupported devices just get it on by default as it does not know what to do with the data?

Could be something to do with your hardware. If this were happening to everyone, I am certain someone else would have mentioned it by now. So yes, it will be something that is controlled by a setting.

What has changed recently? New Provider? Call your Provider if it just started happening, they might be able to disable it or tell you the setting that needs changed.

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
That's awesome, there's some things I would love to hear people HAVE to describe, it's a formula for comedy gold!

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I notice more and more channel/shows are using it now. Basically it's a voice over describing what's going on, and it's meant for blind people. Problem is, they have it on the standard channels forcing everyone to have to listen to it, gets annoying. They should at least have separate channels specifically for blind people and just play the show there at the same time as the standard channel. #firstworldproblem

They're getting their sites ready for ADA website accessibility compliance. There's bound to be some bumps on the road as this gets rolled out. I was working on this a bit with my last employer, it's a lot more involved than you would think.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
That's awesome, there's some things I would love to hear people HAVE to describe, it's a formula for comedy gold!

Some of it was actually pretty hilarious because too much stuff was happening at once and she was going super fast.

My hardware does not "support" this feature as in, it was made before this existed, so not sure where I'd look. Same thing happened at work too and it was on dish. (I'm on Cable). Nothing changed.

Though it's not the first time this happens, seems to be hit and miss.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Was watching Discovery. Never ever do this at home. Oddly, Mythbusters was before and it was not doing it. I've also watched that show before and it did not do it.

It's called narration. Zebras aren't the most talkative/expressive when they're having their assholes eaten by lions.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007

Hmm, odd. Described video is on separate channels on ExpressVu. Not sure about cable. Haven't had it since the analogue days. There should be a setting in the box's preferences menu for alternate audio feeds.

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
YARSKET?

Seriously, you remind me of that cousin who knows everything. A pretty stand up guy and not really bad, but his incessant fake knowledge grates your nerves and you just want to snap as another misinformation flies. Not even related to this thread actually, as I haven't watched broadcast TV in a long time.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Hmm, odd. Described video is on separate channels on ExpressVu. Not sure about cable. Haven't had it since the analogue days. There should be a setting in the box's preferences menu for alternate audio feeds.

Yeah I checked but don't see anything. It's not doing it anymore though, seems it was only that one show this time. Seems hit and miss, I've seen it happen on the TV at work, and also public TVs at restaurants etc. So am I the only one affected by this then? I figured that was something more global.