Anyone else hate stretched TV images? Aspect ratio problems...

faZZter

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2001
Ok.....lets start from the beginning. I recently upgraded to a Samsung 50 inch DLP HDTV. I bought a Samsung HDTV receiver to go with it. (the DirecTV one)

My first new discovery was that not all component inputs are equal. The first one does 480i. The next two can do 480p,720p, or 1080i. I didn't realize this could be a problem until I went to hook up the Xbox to play some high res DOA on it. To access the Xbox console (to change any settings) you must be connected to a 480i input. Tp PLAY a high res game you must be connected to one of the other two inputs! How retarded is this?

Anyway, that was the first thing that pissed me off.

Then I find that widescreen movies still have black bars on the top and bottom, only smaller than on a normal TV, yet they still appear to be stretched wide in widescreen mode? WTF? So I find that the zoom1 mode fills the screen nicely while not appearing stretched out, you just lose the edges a bit. Ok, I can deal with that. BUT, then I find out that when connected to one of the higher rews inputs you lose the zoom ability (built in to the TV-the aspect ratio button).

Ok this pisses me off

At least when viewing regular DirecTV channels I can still swith to "normal" aspect ratio and see a non stretched picture.

SO, then I hear that the best connection is to use the DVI input direct in from the HDTV receiver. So I hook it up that way and then I find I lose the "normal" aspect ratio option and unless viewing an HDTV channel have to watch stretched TV channels!!!!

Ok now I'm really pissed!!!

Am I doing something wrong or is this just the way it is? I personally cant stand watching stretched out pictures that make everyone look fat. You would think after spendin tons of money on all this stuff that a correct aspect ratio picture wouldn't be too much to ask for...... :(

I am about to go back to component hookups so at least regular TV channels will look right.

Anyone else have this TV or a similar problem? What about the XBox issue, anyone figure out an easier way then reconnecting the cable differently to play or configure games?

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Your TV has a 16:9 aspect ratio. Standard TV is 4:3, and movies vary. Some are 16:9, some aren't. All HDTV is 16:9. If you don't have a 16:9 signal you'll either have to stretch the image or zoom and lose part of it in order to fill the screen.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: faZZter
That was very helpful Ameesh.......

Seriously dude, RTFM(Read the fing Manual)

It is common knowled(or at least should be) that many formats have different aspect raitions. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ZOOM FUNCTION>

RTFM and find out how to set the aspect ratio for your TV and your DVD player.

I would expect someone who is spending that much money to at least read the manual.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
1) I agree with you about the inputs, its a kind of pain in the ass, to make it easier connect the xbox to the port that does 480i/480p and that way you can still use the progressive signal
2) Widescreen movies that are 1.85:1 will fit perfectly with no black bars, movies that have a wider aspect ration like 2.35:1 will have black bars, you are dumb if you dont understand this.
3) DVI connection makes the signal appear as it is encoded so there is no stretching going on, it is exactly as the broadcaster is sending it to you.

I have the 61" version of your tv. and i usually watch everything in wide, and my dvd player is hooked up via the dvi cable. my xbox is set up for 480p but the only input it works fine on is the one that is marked for dvd players i belive it says 480i/p on it. the problem is the xbox plays its menus in interlaced and the games in progressive which doesnt work with the dumb input ports on the tv.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Remember, most every device has its own aspect ratio display settings. Make sure to set them all up.

I must say, that component sanfu SUCKS!

faZZter

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2001
Goosemaster- I did RTFM. I know how to change the aspect ratio. The problem is, as Ameesh stated, the movies that are a higher ratio like 2.35:1 still have an annoying black bar. BTW Ameesh, I understand that movies that are widescreen have various aspect ratios now, however, not knowing this already doesn't make me dumb, just ignorant of that fact. When using the DVI connection and non HD channels on directv, the image is stretched to fill the screen. (edit-ok maybe it isn't stretched, but it still doesn't look right....maybe it was a box in the center not touching all sides, would have to go home to check it out again) Of course when on HD programming it fits perfectly and looks awesome.

Also, Goosemaster, when I was talking about using zoom I have found that "widescreen" movies that for some reason appear stretched wide, even in "widescreen mode on the TV, look unstretched while in zoom mode yet still fill the screen. It was a halfway fix for the stretched look and black bars still being on the top/bottom. For some reason it does affect the way the picture is presented onscreen even though it would seem to only zoom in while maintaining the same aspect ratio overall. If you don't believe me on that one, come on over and watch.

Watching everything in wide sucks IMO, like the subject line says, I hate stretched TV.

The high res Xbox games (720p or 1080i) just don't look nearly as good when played in 480p, it really doesn't compare, so staying on the low res input doesn't cut it for that problem.

Anyway, thanx for the help and advice guys.....

I guess what I really want is a TV that would stretch any resolution picture to the best fit possible for my 16x9 screen WITHOUT altering the correct aspect ratio. I mean if Windows can do it with the picture viewer why can't an expensive TV do it?!

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Goosemaster- I did RTFM. I know how to change the aspect ratio. The problem is, as Ameesh stated, the movies that are a higher ratio like 2.35:1 still have an annoying black bar. BTW Ameesh, I understand that movies that are widescreen have various aspect ratios now, however, not knowing this already doesn't make me dumb, just ignorant of that fact. When using the DVI connection and non HD channels on directv, the image is stretched to fill the screen. (edit-ok maybe it isn't stretched, but it still doesn't look right....maybe it was a box in the center not touching all sides, would have to go home to check it out again) Of course when on HD programming it fits perfectly and looks awesome.

Also, Goosemaster, when I was talking about using zoom I have found that "widescreen" movies that for some reason appear stretched wide, even in "widescreen mode on the TV, look unstretched while in zoom mode yet still fill the screen. It was a halfway fix for the stretched look and black bars still being on the top/bottom. For some reason it does affect the way the picture is presented onscreen even though it would seem to only zoom in while maintaining the same aspect ratio overall. If you don't believe me on that one, come on over and watch.

Watching everything in wide sucks IMO, like the subject line says, I hate stretched TV.

The high res Xbox games (720p or 1080i) just don't look nearly as good when played in 480p, it really doesn't compare, so staying on the low res input doesn't cut it for that problem.

Anyway, thanx for the help and advice guys.....

I guess what I really want is a TV that would stretch any resolution picture to the best fit possible for my 16x9 screen WITHOUT altering the correct aspect ratio. I mean if Windows can do it with the picture viewer why can't an expensive TV do it?!

Now tht I understand what you are talking about, it is very interesting. DO you have a variety of widescreen material? If so, try a variety of aspect ratios.

In addition, check the settings on your DVD and xbox over again. Although it may seem trivial, it seems as if your TV might not be at fault.

Good luck!

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
read up on aspect ratios and it will all click for you. You won't be able to view all the various apsect ratios out there AND fill your screen without manipulating the image. Don't like stretch? Then don't stretch. simple as that.

And you don't have to stretch anything with your TV. Nothing. And if you stretch a DVD just to get rid of the "black bars" then please return your TV.

faZZter

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2001
"And you don't have to stretch anything with your TV. Nothing. And if you stretch a DVD just to get rid of the "black bars" then please return your TV." - spidey07

No Spidey I used "zoom" to do two things. It filled the screen better, but, most importantly on whatever movie it was I was watching it made the people in the movie look normal insteads of stretched and fat!! I do see what you all mean about the different aspect ratios though. I used to think all "widescreen" movies were the same "size." Now I realize that for whatever reason there is a lot of variation. I just wish the TV could "zoom" the picture till an edge of the movie display meets the edge of the TV and not stretch anything thereby distorting the picture.

Oh well I will just make the best of the different modes. The Xbox problem is a known issue I have read about in other forums. It is the Xbox that is f***ed up.

SO, movie experts - Why do movies vary so much in aspect ratio? Is it the cameras they use, the film, or ???? Is it just a creative thing? Just curious.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I guess what I really want is a TV that would stretch any resolution picture to the best fit possible for my 16x9 screen WITHOUT altering the correct aspect ratio.

That is a direct contradiction. You either want the original aspect ratio, or you want a stretched version to fit your screen. IMO, stretched stuff is crap, and everything should be watched at original aspect ratio.

faZZter

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2001
No it isn't a contradiction. You could "zoom" the picture to fit the screen (at least max out on either vertical or horizontal size) without changing the aspect ratio. Yes you may end up with black bars on vertical or horizontal sides depending how the source material's aspect ratio compares to your TV's.

The viewable size of an image can be changed without changing the aspect ratio.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
No it isn't a contradiction. You could "zoom" the picture to fit the screen (at least max out on either vertical or horizontal size) without changing the aspect ratio. Yes you may end up with black bars on vertical or horizontal sides depending how the source material's aspect ratio compares to your TV's.

I've never heard of a TV that puts an image in the center of the screen, with black bars to the sides AND top. If that were the case, THEN you could zoom the image some without destroying the aspect ratio. Otherwise, impossible. Maybe you should explain it better?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
"And you don't have to stretch anything with your TV. Nothing. And if you stretch a DVD just to get rid of the "black bars" then please return your TV." - spidey07

No Spidey I used "zoom" to do two things. It filled the screen better, but, most importantly on whatever movie it was I was watching it made the people in the movie look normal insteads of stretched and fat!! I do see what you all mean about the different aspect ratios though. I used to think all "widescreen" movies were the same "size." Now I realize that for whatever reason there is a lot of variation. I just wish the TV could "zoom" the picture till an edge of the movie display meets the edge of the TV and not stretch anything thereby distorting the picture.

Oh well I will just make the best of the different modes. The Xbox problem is a known issue I have read about in other forums. It is the Xbox that is f***ed up.

SO, movie experts - Why do movies vary so much in aspect ratio? Is it the cameras they use, the film, or ???? Is it just a creative thing? Just curious.

director chooses aspect he wants.

quick low down:
"widescreen" DVDs a formated to fit a widescreen TV. A 1.85 aspect ratio will completely fill your TV, no streatching required and you're getting the full resolution a DVD has to offer. A 2.35 aspect ration has small bars on the top and bottom but you still get full resolution and no stretching required.

There are a handful of DVDs out there that aren't "anamorphic" or "enhanced for widescreen". And they will have very large black bars and people appear short and fat - these few DVDs (armagedon is one that comes to mind) can and should be stretched by your player or TV.

Regular TV or 4x3 dvds you can watch with black bars on the side.

-edit- when you zoom a DVD your blowing the picture up and hence losing some resolution and picture on the sides.

really good info for you:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120328

Christoph

Jan 9, 2001
If you use the dvi input, what aspect control options does your Directv/HDTV receiver give you?

For example, if I use the RGB outputs on my DTC-100, I can choose to display 4:3 material zoomed, stretched, or windowboxed (my terminology, not RCA's). Do you have a similar feature on the Samsung HDTV reciever?

If so, use the dvi input, leave the TV on "full" or whatever Samsung calls it, and have the receiver windowbox the 4:3 material.

cHeeZeFacTory

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2001
maybe you should have done more research before buying a widescreen tv. WS tv's are 16:9, movies on the other hand can be filmed in a wide array of aspect ratios. Unless the movie you're watching is 16:9 enhanced, you will see black bars on the top and bottom.

I can't believe some people spend $3k-5k on a TV w/o doing some reading about it. But then if I was filthy rich, i wouldn't care what i spend my money on anways.

www.avsforum.com

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Nebor

I've never heard of a TV that puts an image in the center of the screen, with black bars to the sides AND top. If that were the case, THEN you could zoom the image some without destroying the aspect ratio. Otherwise, impossible. Maybe you should explain it better?

the sammy does it puts the image samck in the middles and it is possible to have a black frame all the way around the image.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
As for the X-Box thing, just get a splitter (or rather 3 splittesr, R, G, B). Then you can have the XBox basically hooked up to both inputs at the same time.

Something along this line: Link