Anyone else get sick after going on Carnival Cruises?

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Every year my parents go on a Carnival Cruise and 100% of the time they come back with the nastiest illnesses. Literally 100% of the time. Was talking to my mom about Christmas plans and she said she's all screwed up, coughing like hell, etc and my dad's even worse after getting back from a cruise last weekend. Last year they came back with walking pneumonia and I couldn't get her to go see anyone until 3 weeks after (not a money thing either, as they're on Medicare where you'll hit your yearly coinsurance amount quickly just from normal doctor's office visits at that age). So this year I insist she sees her doctor right away and I take her there to make sure she does. And now a couple days after taking her to her doctor I seem to have caught that superbug they brought back from Carnival. Is this normal with cruises or is Carnival just extra shitty? You could not pay me to go on a cruise and I have no idea why they go on them.

Last edited:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I mean, I can't see how you wouldn't. It's a floating hotel where all the guests mingle every minute of every day. I'm sure it's the same for any cruise.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
We get about 70 cruise ships coming in a month from Nov-March, i try to stay away from the areas that they(passengers) end up at because #1 it's way to busy #2 the prices charged are insane #3 the food is usually shit compared to the local places Dominicans eat at

/headed on a cruise in January/Feb (not Carnival though, knock on wood)
//having said that i just got over a nasty stomach bug from last week :(

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
We've been on a few cruises and have never gotten sick. Only one of those was on Carnival though

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I mean, I can't see how you wouldn't. It's a floating hotel where all the guests mingle every minute of every day. I'm sure it's the same for any cruise.
With a little bit of planning you can usually avoid a good chunk of the crowds. Unless you want to lay by the pool

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I'll never do it. I spent 20 years cruising in the navy and we never had any issues. Including a 6 month around the world cruise on a submarine tender AS32, USS Holland with approx 1,190 people on board. Worst issue we had was a female getting pregnant and we pulled into Italy to send her back to the states.

Those civilian Cruise ships are nothing but floating Petri dishes just oozing with infections.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I went on a (Carnival)cruise as a kid. I had a reasonably good time and emerged unscathed, but I have zero interest in going on another one.

I would consider a transatlantic cruise in an authentic viking longboat. In a different life, I'd like to build one, and sell extreme tours to people willing to spend a couple months traveling, pulling oars when necessary, and possibly dying.

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Technically, there are no laws with bite on cruises....

So the vulnerable better be careful of bad apples in the crew or within the populace.

It's anarchy in small bites.

Heck, even one lawyer advertises personal injury suit services.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012