Anyone else crunching with a Ryzen 5 3600?

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Following on from a conversation here, I've realised that the stock Stealth cooler is just completely useless at cooling the CPU under full load, even with Grizzly thermal paste & the side still off the case it was going to the high 80sC running F@H!o_O (not overclocked, confirmed BIOS doesn't seem to be over-juicing vcore, under full load it peaked at 1.3v).
What were AMD thinking?? I expected not great performance from the stock cooler, but not completely inadequate!
For now I've throttled PPT to 70w (from the default 88w) which allows to it stay under 80C running F@H.

Now that I've retired my ancient C2 Q9550 setup from my 2nd rig (replaced it with my i7 4930k), I'm going to see if I can use it's TR Ultima90 for my Ryzen, which should be more than good enough, if I can find the AM3 baseplate & modify it successfully!

So how have other people found it?

Kiska

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
Following on from a conversation here, I've realised that the stock Stealth cooler is just completely useless at cooling the CPU under full load, even with Grizzly thermal paste & the side still off the case it was going to the high 80sC running F@H!o_O (not overclocked, confirmed BIOS doesn't seem to be over-juicing vcore, under full load it peaked at 1.3v).
What were AMD thinking?? I expected not great performance from the stock cooler, but not completely inadequate!
For now I've throttled PPT to 70w (from the default 88w) which allows to it stay under 80C running F@H.

Hrm looking at techspot's review(aka Hardware Unboxed), I can't find anandtech's one.
Here is their graph:
Temps.png

From: https://www.techspot.com/review/1871-amd-ryzen-3600/
With the quote:
With the Wraith Stealth installed the R5 3600 maintained a 4 GHz clock speed out of the box during our 1 hour long Blender stress test. This is an extreme stress test, so having it peaking at just 80 degrees is pretty good, especially given it was virtually silent.
1.3v under load seems very high... Especially at stock settings. The 3600 should maintain roughly 1.25v or lower for stock operation. I have seen as low as 1v for the 3600 at stock. So :shrug:

Reactions: Assimilator1

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
I have a 240mm CoolerMaster AIO. It was AM4 compliant out of the box. I like to crank up the party with my 3600. It runs 24x7 4200mhz locked @ 1.368v according to CPU-Z. Bad silicon requires plenty of voltage. No complaints from me. These Ryzen CPU's really need 120mm AIO minimum or an AIO 240mm or greater cooler. Otherwise you will get thermal throttling. My temps during gaming load are mid to high 50's and could touch 60C. In theory one core hits up to 70C for a micro second. I turned my fans down for silent cooling.

Reactions: TennesseeTony

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Ok, although (for the 1st time in ~21yrs!) I'm not interested in overclocking this CPU.

Kiska

Think I did see that review, & yea their setup is doing noticeably better than mine.
Interesting about the vcore, how do we know what sort of range the voltages should be for these? AMD & CPUworld are no help here :(.
Where did you get your figures from?

IIRC AM4 mounting hole is different than previous socket. I still remember the fuzz and some big-name coolers decided to sell separate adapter kit for older coolers, even

That's why I said about modifying it ;)
Thanks for the link :), although I did go to that site, I never even saw a hint of that page! (For either the U90 or U120E) Although I did see the .de site linked somewhere.
I'll see if I can get that kit.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
Ok, although (for the 1st time in ~21yrs!) I'm not interested in overclocking this CPU.

Kiska

Think I did see that review, & yea their setup is doing noticeably better than mine.
Interesting about the vcore, how do we know what sort of range the voltages should be for these? AMD & CPUworld are no help here :(.
Where did you get your figures from?

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-3600

That's why I said about modifying it ;)
Thanks for the link :), although I did go to that site, I never even saw a hint of that page! (For either the U90 or U120E) Although I did see the .de site linked somewhere.
I'll see if I can get that kit.
The 3600 stock can hit voltages above 1.4v during heavy loads. I say this watching CPU-Z with stock settings enabled. AMD pumps a lot of juice into the 3600. Again crap silicon but it works very well.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Hans Gruber
Ok, good to know :thumbsup:

ao_ika_red
Email sent, thanks for the reminder :), where on earth did you find that page?? [edit] nm, saw it's in the News section ;).
Btw, re modifying the AM3 baseplate, shouldn't be too hard, if I can find it! lol

Although this is for the 3700X, rigg42 is getting ~1.3v under load.

Last edited:
Reactions: ao_ika_red

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I have a 240mm CoolerMaster AIO. It was AM4 compliant out of the box. I like to crank up the party with my 3600. It runs 24x7 4200mhz locked @ 1.368v according to CPU-Z. Bad silicon requires plenty of voltage. No complaints from me. These Ryzen CPU's really need 120mm AIO minimum or an AIO 240mm or greater cooler. Otherwise you will get thermal throttling. My temps during gaming load are mid to high 50's and could touch 60C. In theory one core hits up to 70C for a micro second. I turned my fans down for silent cooling.
Me too, but there's clearly something wrong with my CM AIO WC 240mm kit, or my R5 3600 CPU, or my mobo, because I can't run all-core @ 4.0 or 4.1Ghz, with lower than 1.41V, and at that voltage, I was hitting crazy temps running PrimeGrid LLR. (*Which, likely, is much hotter a load than just "gaming".)

I tried running all-core, but for DC work, it was just too much for my chip and cooling system, even with a 240mm AIO WC kit on it. PrimeGrid just killed it.

I agree with the overall sentiment, though, with 3000-series Ryzen CPUs, go 240mm AIO WC or better, or bust.

Edit: I remembered, I haven't tried an all-core OC since I updated to a 1.0.0.4 patch B AGESA / UEFI version 3003 on this Asus B450-F ROG STRIX board, so I'm giving it another shot. 40.0 multi, 1.3685V, 1.10V VSoC, DDR4-3600, FCLK 1800.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
@Hans Gruber , hey, THANKS!

I re-did my all-core OC, settling (for now) with just a conservative 40.0 multi (4.0Ghz) on my R5 3600, @ 1.3685V fixed, on my B450-F ROG STRIX board.

It seemingly survived overnight mining, and seems overall pretty stable. Temps are still reasonable (75-77C max, using HWMonitor).

I may keep it set at this, I prefer a fixed-clock (high clock), to a constantly-variable one, as there should be less latency. What I'm not sure about, is if I'm running into any clock-stretching, due to lack of power to the CPU during high demand.

And as far as temps go, I haven't given PrimeGrid another go yet. I might yet do that to solidify this OC, which isn't much of a real OC, just left to it's own devices, it ran roughly around this clock speed loaded anyways.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
@Hans Gruber , hey, THANKS!

I re-did my all-core OC, settling (for now) with just a conservative 40.0 multi (4.0Ghz) on my R5 3600, @ 1.3685V fixed, on my B450-F ROG STRIX board.

It seemingly survived overnight mining, and seems overall pretty stable. Temps are still reasonable (75-77C max, using HWMonitor).

I may keep it set at this, I prefer a fixed-clock (high clock), to a constantly-variable one, as there should be less latency. What I'm not sure about, is if I'm running into any clock-stretching, due to lack of power to the CPU during high demand.

And as far as temps go, I haven't given PrimeGrid another go yet. I might yet do that to solidify this OC, which isn't much of a real OC, just left to it's own devices, it ran roughly around this clock speed loaded anyways.
Larry, my bios is 1.375v. CPU-Z reports 1.36-1.3875 real world voltage. I run mine in gaming mode which locks the CPU to max clock which in my case is 4.2ghz. I think you should be fine @ 4ghz at that vcore.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Larry, my bios is 1.375v. CPU-Z reports 1.36-1.3875 real world voltage. I run mine in gaming mode which locks the CPU to max clock which in my case is 4.2ghz. I think you should be fine @ 4ghz at that vcore.
I would double-check the effects of that "gaming mode". Maybe that's an MSI-specific thing? I disabled "Core Performance Boost" on my Asus board, to lock in clocks. On first-generation ThreadRipper boards, "Gaming Mode" disables half of the cores!. Just make sure that you're not disabling cores by flipping that switch.

Been mining overnight, no crashes that I can see, 99% CPU usage.

VietOZ

Aug 3, 2019
did you disable PBO also? "Core Performance Boost" and PBO (Precision Boost Override) , both need to be disable. Check AMD oveclocking section in your bios.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Hmm, I haven't had a single reply from Thermalright after 4 emails! (.de & .com), I wonder wth is happening there??

Anyway, a friend of mine said he could fabricate brackets for my ancient (~13 yrs old!) Thermalright Ultima 90. So hopefully I can make good use of that :), unless I sell it with my Core 2 gear, if I can sell that! (Btw my TR 120UE remains on the i7).

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
Hmm, I haven't had a single reply from Thermalright after 4 emails! (.de & .com), I wonder wth is happening there??

Anyway, a friend of mine said he could fabricate brackets for my ancient (~13 yrs old!) Thermalright Ultima 90. So hopefully I can make good use of that :), unless I sell it with my Core 2 gear, if I can sell that! (Btw my TR 120UE remains on the i7).
Don't waste your time with a 90nm heatsink. By the way I have a Thermalright Ultra 90 and a couple of Thermalright Ultra 120's still in use but that is neither here nor there. Get a 212+ or something like that and call it a day. $20 or less. If you had a Ultra 120 I would say get the adapter for $8 on amazon. I did that myself a few years back.

Reactions: TennesseeTony

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Judging by the fact that the size of the Ultima 90 is larger than the Wraith max or Prism & has more heatpipes, then it should be more than adequate to cool a Ryzen 3600, don't forget that some of those old 90nm CPUs put out a lot of heat! (Btw I have an Ultra 120E but it's cooling the i7 4930k in my 2nd rig). Also the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo isn't $20 here but about £32 (incl delivery & VAT) which is about $41 :p. I'll probably pay my mate ~£10 to make the brackets for my Ult 90.

Last edited:

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Just a little update on my ThermalRight U90 adapter kit, I finally got a reply (after emailing them again) on 6/4 (UK date :p), kits are available again now in Europe for the
Macho, True Spirit, AXP-100 all versions, Archon IB-E X and for Silver Arrow (SB-E/IB-E, AXP-200), but kits for my U90 (& maybe U120s?) won't be available until ~5weeks from the above date. So it's going to be a while, but at least they are coming! :)

Struggling on with the crappy Stealth HS for now!

Reactions: blckgrffn

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
The Ultima90 is working very nicely with my 3600, a 15C temp drop :), the adapter kit cost me £15 (only got it yesterday!), but it's well worth it.

I finally got the bolt through adapter kit for my 12yr old Thermalright Ultima 90 yesterday :), swapped out the crappy Stealth cooler for it & unsurprisingly got a 15C drop in temps for LHC (and ~+50 MHz clock interestingly) :cool:, the same avx WUs. In Rosetta the drop is even more dramatic at 20C! Although strangely still a lower clock speed (about 3.725 GHz vs 3.8 GHz for LHC), I don't get that, does anyone else?
My next step is to set the PPT back to default & see if it'll hold reasonable temp's.

Then I need to check the 'Power reporting deviation' to see if that was also responsible for the high temps with the stock cooler & PPT setting.
Has anyone else here read about that? "Ryzen Burnout? AMD Board Power Cheats May Shorten CPU Lifespan" - Tom's
The CPU lifespan thing is apparently over-egged, but it could certainly (in part) explain the temperature problem I was having, we'll see.

Btw, is it true that the recent batch of Ryzens overclock much better?

Last edited: