Anyone else agree with this guy?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
He's the worst kind of suicidal nut, but that doesn't mean he has nothing worth hearing.

Sep 12, 2004
TastesLikeChicken

"Why should Muslims care about OBL anyway?"

It would probably be too daunting a task to fill in your lack of knowledge about "why".
Well I guess it wouldn't hurt to fill in your seeming lack of knowledge about context.

This: "Why should Muslims care about OBL anyway?" goes hand-in-hand with this: "Didn't we hear that he wasn't a true Muslim?"

One without the other removes all context from my statement. So unless you purposefully bastardized what I was saying, which would be intellectually dishonest and surely you weren't shooting for that, you might try addressing the whole thing. Give it a shot.

Thanks,

TLC

Sep 12, 2004
He's the worst kind of suicidal nut, but that doesn't mean he has nothing worth hearing.
OBL was a homocidal nut. If he was suicidal there would have been little to worry about after his first attack.

As far as having something worth hearing, close your eyes and say that out loud with GWB in mind instead of OBL. Can you do it without choking on the words?

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
TastesLikeChicken

"Why should Muslims care about OBL anyway?"

It would probably be too daunting a task to fill in your lack of knowledge about "why".

There have been numerous examples of Muslims denouncing OBL on TV and print media. For example:

“I live under Muslim law, no violence, no killing. The Koran does not say anything about killing people,” he said.

“True Muslims did not like bin Laden,” he said

http://www.newbernsj.com/articles/new-97016-laden-bern.html

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
1. Muslims knew we thought of him as a Muslim - so doing something culturally stupid would seem like we were pissing on their religion.

2. I'm sure most Muslims considered him Muslim even if they thought him radical - Islam is practiced in many varieties and Muslims are very aware of that.

3. It is absurd to think a serious cultural infraction would not have had a negative reaction from some segments of a billion member religion that takes offense at so much.

4. Even if you were a Muslim and didn't care, it would be obvious that others might.

5. Anyone not Muslim, not in the M.E., and asking "Why would they care?" needs more education.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Pat Condell tells it like it is, without pulling punches. Props to the guy.

Sep 12, 2004
1. Muslims knew we thought of him as a Muslim - so doing something culturally stupid would seem like we were pissing on their religion.

2. I'm sure most Muslims considered him Muslim even if they thought him radical - Islam is practiced in many varieties and Muslims are very aware of that.

3. It is absurd to think a serious cultural infraction would not have had a negative reaction from some segments of a billion member religion that takes offense at so much.

4. Even if you were a Muslim and didn't care, it would be obvious that others might.

5. Anyone not Muslim, not in the M.E., and asking "Why would they care?" needs more education.
Muslims knew we thought of him as a mass murderer of innocent civilians, something the Koran does not condone. If Muslims claims that OBL was not a true Muslim, why should they care how we treated him? We wouldn't be defiling a Muslim. We would, in effect, be dealing with an infidel who didn't really subscribe to Muslim ideals. Is this a concept that is so difficult for you to grasp that you strain to circle back to your bastardization of what I said?

My comment isn't any kind of smackdown on Muslims or Islam. If Muslims truly believe their religion is a religion of peace they would detest OBL and not care one whit wtf we did with him after his death. Those who would care are defiling their own religion and they are the ones requiring an education.