Anyone eat rice and butter?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AndyHui

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member<br>AT FAQ M
Oct 9, 1999
Rice and butter sounds strange to me.

Now if it was mash potato and butter, that's an entirely different story....:)

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: gopunk
Originally posted by: Ameesh
Originally posted by: gopunk
Originally posted by: UberDave
uh rice and butter is like the all time thing to do since i was little... i didnt know you ate it any other way :Q

you've never been to a chinese, japanese, korean, or any other oriental food restaurant?

uh hate to break it to you but indian people eat ghee and rice, ghee is clarified butter. add some sugar or some mango pulp it tastes good too.

alright, happy? :p

but to qualify it a little bit, i've never seen an asian person eat uncle bens rice. basmati or nothing.

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Ornery:

the thought of adding milk to rice alone already made me puke... :Q :eek: :eek: :0
but once again, I ate Peanut butter with Rice during a 3 day yosemite camp. I was fugging hungry, and I grew to like it.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: white
this white girl i was hanging out with did that. i asked her about it and she was like "yeah, you've never seen someone eat rice with butter?" i replied, "no i haven't" *weird look*:confused:

pics?

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Yep....I eat rice and butter w/ pepper. I also like hominy and butter---tastes almost the same with a slgihly firmer texture. Good stuff ;)

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
That was a standard side dish when I was a kid... white rice & butter & salt. Of course, I've had rice and enjoyed it many other ways, but instant white rice almost always gets butter and salt.

ArmenK

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2000
I've had rice with butter at a Persian restaurant, I think its common with the type of rice they serve, its rather dry without it.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: andylawcc
Ornery:

the thought of adding milk to rice alone already made me puke... :Q :eek: :eek: :0
but once again, I ate Peanut butter with Rice during a 3 day yosemite camp. I was fugging hungry, and I grew to like it.
Look at it this way. Cheerios cold cereal is to hot oatmeal w/sugar, butter & milk, as Rice Krispys cold cereal is to hot rice w/sugar, butter & milk. But maybe you don't like hot oatmeal w/sugar, butter & milk, eh? To me the warm rice is quite a treat, since it's much lighter than something like oatmeal. I guess the wheat equivilent would be Wheatena, but I'll pass on that for now...

Pooteh

Aug 12, 2002
its better then eating plain rice with nothing, but who does that anyways. asians eat rice with other dishes so it kinda mixes together with sauce etc for flavour.

1st time i ate butter + rice and nothing else was in elementary school school lunch. i suppose its easy to prep but its not that great:p

that being said, the health food rice(brown tougher stuff) is ok with butter. i rarely eat it though.

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Ornery
Butter on rice sounds good to me, but we usually eat rice mixed with other things. If you think that's gross, listen to this. If we do have rice for a meal, which is rare, I'll make a desert out of it at the end of the meal. I put it in a bowl with a pat of butter, heat it in the micro for a very few seconds, mix it with a teaspoon or two of sugar and add cold milk to it. I was disgusted when I first saw my dad do this decades ago, as were my sons when they saw me do it recently. One taste and I loved it, as do my boys! :p

Mmm, that's the way I like it. :D My kids think I'm crazy. :D Just call me a crazy white dude. :D

And when I eat asian food, I love to have the sauce/juice soak into the rice, and will spoon as much of the sauce as I can onto the rice. Especially the "hot/spicy" sauces. :D

Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice is excellent with pork chops. Especially if you saute some chopped garlic, almond slivers, and sliced mushrooms, then mix them with the rice, and bake it on top of the pork chops. Mmmmmm.......

Lichee

Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: RaySun2Be
Originally posted by: Ornery Butter on rice sounds good to me, but we usually eat rice mixed with other things. If you think that's gross, listen to this. If we do have rice for a meal, which is rare, I'll make a desert out of it at the end of the meal. I put it in a bowl with a pat of butter, heat it in the micro for a very few seconds, mix it with a teaspoon or two of sugar and add cold milk to it. I was disgusted when I first saw my dad do this decades ago, as were my sons when they saw me do it recently. One taste and I loved it, as do my boys! :p
Mmm, that's the way I like it. :D My kids think I'm crazy. :D Just call me a crazy white dude. :D And when I eat asian food, I love to have the sauce/juice soak into the rice, and will spoon as much of the sauce as I can onto the rice. Especially the "hot/spicy" sauces. :D Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice is excellent with pork chops. Especially if you saute some chopped garlic, almond slivers, and sliced mushrooms, then mix them with the rice, and bake it on top of the pork chops. Mmmmmm.......

lol. all this talk of rice is making me hunger for the "good ole" days. esp with talk like this:
And when I eat asian food, I love to have the sauce/juice soak into the rice, and will spoon as much of the sauce as I can onto the rice. Especially the "hot/spicy" sauces. :D Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice is excellent with pork chops. Especially if you saute some chopped garlic, almond slivers, and sliced mushrooms, then mix them with the rice, and bake it on top of the pork chops. Mmmmmm......

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Rice & Butter... perfect "broke" meal....mmmmmm

rice, butter, grated cheese... even better :D

Kaieye

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
My father, who came from China right after the Great Depression, use to pan fry his steak and put butter on his rice. I picked up his habbit until I found out how fattening his habbit was. But it was delicious...

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I used to when I was a child. I also did the same with tortillas. (salt and pepper as well, on both) Very tasty, not so healthy.

Lichee

Jan 2, 2001
ok, now lemme ask you peeps this:

if you ate rice + butter, did u ever eat a slice of bread with melted butter + a little sprinkle of sugar?

mmmm. that was a really good (unhealthy) snack.:)

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
I like my rice with sweet soy.. or whatever else is being served that goes on top of the rice.

I also never heard of rice and butter until I ate dinner with my next door neighbors who were caucasian..

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I eat rice. Mostly on weekends and on the highway. I tend to feel bad for the rice afterwards. Due to their deficiencies and all.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
1 pat of butter in 2 cups of cooked rice is almost nothing, adds quite a bit to the flavor, and helps the sticking a bit.

like fried rice is any better

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
if you ate rice + butter, did u ever eat a slice of bread with melted butter + a little sprinkle of sugar?

Yep. Good stuff. :D

of course that is just a step away from cinnamon toast. :) Toast the bread, melted butter, sprinkle of sugar, sprinkle of grated cinnamon. :D

I eat rice. Mostly on weekends and on the highway. I tend to feel bad for the rice afterwards. Due to their deficiencies and all.

LOL! :D

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yum.. rice and butter. :)

Add some sugar, and yum! :)

I like it with soy sauce too though.