Anyone Do(ing) a Post-Bacc for Pre-Med?

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
I thought about it. Does that count? I'm in law school at night now. I'm thinking about doing the postbacc still after law school just to keep the option open later on, but I'm sort of sick of school now :)

StevenYoo

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2001
use the post-bacc only if you're missing pre-req's and need that extra boost in your profile.

If you need research experience, get a job as a tech.

A few classes you take in these programs generally don't raise your overall GPA much, but they might affect your science GPA if you don't have many science credits to begin with.

How's your MCAT?

Playmaker

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Originally posted by: sjwaste
I thought about it. Does that count? I'm in law school at night now. I'm thinking about doing the postbacc still after law school just to keep the option open later on, but I'm sort of sick of school now :)

I'm in a business job I hate and considered law school, and while I know I'd like law school, I think law might be too similar to what I'm doing now.

Post-bac AFTER law school, though, that would be impressive.

Playmaker

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
I'm planning to go part-time this fall. 15 years after undergrad and getting a MBA.

I don't feel too bad then ... I'd be 2, possible 3 years out when I started, but the idea of not becoming an actual practicing doctor for over a decade when I'm already in my mid-20s is intimidating.

Playmaker

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Originally posted by: StevenYoo
use the post-bacc only if you're missing pre-req's and need that extra boost in your profile.

A few classes you take in these programs generally don't raise your overall GPA much, but they might affect your science GPA if you don't have many science credits to begin with.

How's your MCAT?

No MCAT yet ... I need pre-reqs ... I know there are post-bacc programs geared around improving one's BCPM GPA, but I'm looking at the pre-reqs programs. Currently I only have calc 1 completed, and I don't even have the english semesters some schools require (unless writing intensive upper-level history courses count) because my undergrad waived the requirement for my ACT scores (never thought would come back to haunt me). I'd probably be looking at a 2 year program because of that.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Playmaker

I'm in a business job I hate and considered law school, and while I know I'd like law school, I think law might be too similar to what I'm doing now.

Ha, let me tell you, I'm going into my 4th year (night school) and I'm ready to be done with law school, and possibly law practice. I'm a business undergrad and had been doing essentially BI and datamining work until I became a corporate counsel intern. It's super interesting because you're looking at everything from the legal and business perspective, but its not a typical right out of law school job, nor does it pay what most people imagine lawyers make. Plus, to a large extent, I miss the actual business work.

I've always had an urge to pursue med school, but I had a rather average undergrad experience (grade wise, everything else was spectacular) so I'd need to boost my grades and have a fantastic MCAT to really have a shot.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001

Ha, let me tell you, I'm going into my 4th year (night school) and I'm ready to be done with law school, and possibly law practice. I'm a business undergrad and had been doing essentially BI and datamining work until I became a corporate counsel intern. It's super interesting because you're looking at everything from the legal and business perspective, but its not a typical right out of law school job, nor does it pay what most people imagine lawyers make. Plus, to a large extent, I miss the actual business work.

I've always had an urge to pursue med school, but I had a rather average undergrad experience (grade wise, everything else was spectacular) so I'd need to boost my grades and have a fantastic MCAT to really have a shot.

Where do you go to school?

StevenYoo

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2001
Originally posted by: StevenYoo

How's your MCAT?

No MCAT yet ... I need pre-reqs ... I know there are post-bacc programs geared around improving one's BCPM GPA, but I'm looking at the pre-reqs programs. Currently I only have calc 1 completed, and I don't even have the english semesters some schools require (unless writing intensive upper-level history courses count) because my undergrad waived the requirement for my ACT scores (never thought would come back to haunt me). I'd probably be looking at a 2 year program because of that.

ok, then go for the post-bacc. Try to find one that has some carry-over program with an affiliated medical school. Some programs exist that let you matriculate into med school after completing the post-bacc program, without having to deal with the major hassle of AMCAS and AACOMAS. Also find one that gives abundant amounts of MCAT help and med school app help.

Oh, and read some posts (or make some new ones) on Student Doctor Network forums : http://www.studentdoctor.net/

neit

Dec 6, 2001
I just had 2 med school interviews (i graduated in 05, want to start fall 08), i think I have most of my requirements, but the only concern might be an english class for some schools. I'm leaving my summer open to take it. Sorry I can't offer any info on postbac classes, wasn't too big of a concern for me, but good luck, it's a somewhat annoying process when you're out of school (everything is geared for going straight into it from undergrad).

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I didn't take a real post-bacc, just 4 missing pre-reqs. I graduated in '02. I second the studentdoctor forums, especially the non-trad forum (more useful advice there). Classes aren't the half of it, though. Clinical experience is needed big-time for non-trads.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
How do non-trads go about getting clinical experience? I looked at a couple postbacc course schedules and it looks like I'm short only O-chem and physics (not bad for a guy w/ a business degree!). I could take those and prep my ass off for the MCAT, but if its experience they want... I doubt they're interested in my knowledge of securities law or business intelligence :)

Sust

Sep 1, 2001
I agree with the people above me.
Studentdoctor is good. A strange little corner of the internet in and of itself, but a good resource esp. when you're pre-med.
I didnt do post-bacc but I diid fill in some missing pre-reqs, MCAT, and then apply while I was working a research fellowship at the NIH. All in all, it took about 4 years from conceiving the idea to wearing the white coat.

Good luck, OP. Believe me when I tell you that it's a long bumpy road.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
How do non-trads go about getting clinical experience? I looked at a couple postbacc course schedules and it looks like I'm short only O-chem and physics (not bad for a guy w/ a business degree!). I could take those and prep my ass off for the MCAT, but if its experience they want... I doubt they're interested in my knowledge of securities law or business intelligence :)

Not true! Med schools are really interested in people from diverse aspects of life. so your experience from that field is actually quite interesting. if tis clinical experience you want, just email some physicians at your local hospital describing you situation.

Playmaker

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Mo0o
http://forums.studentdoctor.net beware of the neuroticism but it's a really valuable resource for any kind of premed/med school related questions. it was invaluable when i was applying

I've been lurking at the studentdoctor forums for awhile ... Just wanted to get ATOT's take on it, but thanks for all that had that suggestion.

If you want to see a neurotic, career oriented forum check out the law board at XOXOHTH. It's hilarious and sad at the same time.

Playmaker

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Clinical experience will definitely be an issue for me. I basically have two options ... starting a 2-year open enrollment program this fall, working part-time, and volunteering ... or quitting my business job in the near future, trying to find 40 hours/week health-related job to show interest and give me time to volunteer to get as much clinical experience as possible, and then apply for the competitive 1-year programs with linkages that have high med school placement rates (Goucher, etc.) ... I'm not sure which plan makes more sense right now.

sniperruff

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002

what are you currently doing? i have an undergrad pharmacology degree, with exp in corporate, academic and clinical, and got really tired of science. looking to get into finance.