anyone care to help me take FPS and frametimes for some "raytracing" demos?

plonk420

Feb 6, 2004

i'd be forever grateful if anyone with MSI Afterburner could help contribute FPS and frametimes for some demos with (the beginnings of) raytracing (or raymarching)...

i've gotten the ball rolling with a handful on an i7-4790, GTX1060 3GB...

my biggest interests (bold, moreso):
(pouet = link to download; gallery = stills; video = youtube version)

fairlight - 5 faces - pouet - video | frametimes - fps

farbrausch - let be there light - pouet - gallery - video | frametimes - fps (ran at the default setting, Ultra; size may trigger antivirus due to 64K compo)

cocoon - soul splitter - pouet - video | frametimes - fps

fairlight / cocoon - block one - pouet - video | frametimes - fps

all but Block One i ran at 1080p (VSync off). Block One ran at 720p at 16GB but seemed to want more and liked to crash. also, before you freak, it takes ~80 seconds to start, at least on my less than young PC.

it would make my job easier if you moved the FPS and frametime to the very top of the benchmark list

there are more in my post here

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Ummm, I usually use fraps and Ocat for benchmarking. How exactly do we get analysis with msi afterburner?

This is what MSI AB's benchmark recorded for fairlight - 5 faces, on my GTX 1070+8600k both stock, at 1080p.

23-09-2018, 01:47:53 flt_fivefaces.exe benchmark completed, 16443 frames rendered in 294.094 s
Average framerate : 55.9 FPS
Minimum framerate : 15.3 FPS
Maximum framerate : 170.1 FPS
1% low framerate : 16.3 FPS
0.1% low framerate : 14.5 FPS

And here is what GPU load, fps and frametimes looked like.

Gpu limited as it seems. The cpu didn't do much.

plonk420

Feb 6, 2004
yeah, i only knew FRAPS (until the night i had to find a solution), but it turns out it doesn't show up in DX11 demos (and i assume games).

i THINK i saw 5 Faces go above 12% CPU. however Block One stayed in the single digits (4c8t CPU) most of the time, so i think Block One was far less CPU bound.

go to Settings, Monitoring. scroll down on the list to FPS and Frametime, start dragging them up the list (you can reset them later with a rightclick) a page at a time (otherwise it's a nightmare to import at least into LibreOffice). then set a Begin Logging and Stop Logging keystroke (i used F11 and F12).

for most demos, i start the demo, then hit the F11 key during the Loading screen. for Block One, i had to hit F11 as soon as the full motion started, tho, otherwise it would break the FPS/frametime stats capture (would record as 0 fps, 0ms)

the HardwareMonitoring.html will appear in your Afterburner folder. just rename it otherwise it'll get overwritten when you capture your next demo's stats

Last edited:

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Hello. Sorry for the late reply.

I have benchmarked the Coccoon - Block one demo for starters. I have done two benchmarks. One with msi afterburner (technically more like monitoring recording) and one with fraps.

Again stock 8600k + stock 1070, 720p because 1080p is crashing for me as well. I started the capture for both runs, when the city rendering started where the framerate drops to normal values.

Here is the link for both files.

Tell me if the HardwareMonitoring_blockone_coccon.hml file has the info you want.

Now I also used fraps, because it seems to work OK with all the demos you mentioned above. From what I have seen, it's still ok for up to DX11 benchmarking. It did have some issues in a couple of games. It does not support DX12 and Vulkan.

Now the reason I used fraps for benchmarking, is because you can use the frametimes.csv file with FLAT and get some valuable info. I am not sure if it will help or not, but here are some graphs.

You can open up to four csvs and do comparisons if you are interested.

plonk420

Feb 6, 2004
thanks for the data! hopefully we'll get more (i'd love to see some AMD results, too!)

weird, FRAPS didn't work for me in Win10...

here's some quick results
2R1WnQ6.png

5V7xk1D.png

LibreOffice Calc file
Excel export from LibreOffice

anyone else care to share, please??

i'll also have to take a peek at FLAT and try FRAPS again...