Anyone bothered using an external keyboard for their laptops?

kyrax12

Platinum Member
May 21, 2010
So I am using a CM Storm quickfire rapid right now and I like how it is pretty portable and mechanical.

I like typing on it a lot since it has blue key switches, which is really every typist's dream to type on.

Also it doesn't have the whole numpad making it more compact and portable.

Last edited:

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
I'm tempted, because the keyboard is honestly by far the worst part of my laptop (if you ever buy an Acer Aspire S7, you will not do it for the keyboard. It is a piece of shit that tries and fails miserably at mimicking Macbooks). But I like mobility, and my Ducky keyboard probably weighs more than my ultrabook, so...

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Uh, no. It takes up a lot of desk space to have a keyboard+mouse and a laptop when I need to use a laptop. If I have a laptop then I am using it on my lap or in a small coffee shop. There's no space for a keyboard+mouse.

I use a keyboard+mouse at home and it's usually hooked up to my desktop. As I am typing, it's hooked up to my laptop but that's only because I haven't setup my desktop (complicated) here yet. I will on Wednesday though...

But I need a real desk... this is not a desk.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I find it pretty convenient to just leave a keyboard and mouse, along with the little USB receiver (inserted into a USB hub) on a coffee tray in the living room. I take the laptop with me; but when I bring it into the living room, click, click, and I have the external hard drive along with keyboard, mouse, and HDMI out to the television.

who?

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2012
The Microsoft Arc keyboard is convenient and wireless so you can use it and a wireless mouse while the laptop is connected to the HDMI input on the TV.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
At work my laptop sits in a docking station. I use a wireless mouse and keyboard.
When I use it outside work, I use the laptops keyboard and a wireless mouse.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Sometimes. Half my keyboard stopped working about 6 months ago, so I had to carry a keyboard in my backpack for a few days. I almost always use a USB mouse though, the touchpad's and trackpoints can be frustrating at times.

T9D

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
I have my laptop in a cabinet, hooked to my 42" TV, and a wireless mouse and keyboard. It's connected to a usb hub with my printer, scanner, and some other things. Pull a couple plugs and I'm ready to take it with me.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
The keyboard on my work laptop is really good - I use it pretty much all the time outside a few scenarios.

At home I have a desktop that I mainly use, but my laptop I have a wireless kb&m so it can stay sitting by the TV.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Use a Logitech keyboard and Microsoft Sculpt mouse exclusively with my Surface Pro 1 connected to my Dell U2913WM.

Love it.

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
I have an 11" MBA. When I'm using only the MBA I don't use a separate keyboard. However, when I'm connected to an external monitor, then I'll use a separate keyboard and mouse.

RelaxTheMind

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 2002
over past few years... no. unless its a more stationary laptop like in my home office where it also has a bigger monitor connected. using an external keyboard would just put the already tiny-to-me monitor even further from my face.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
over past few years... no. unless its a more stationary laptop like in my home office where it also has a bigger monitor connected. using an external keyboard would just put the already tiny-to-me monitor even further from my face.
See my post - best of both worlds - computing that you can take with you, and you can use the same platform in a home office setting by using HDMI or some other connection to a larger screen, plus a nicer wireless keyboard (and mouse).

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I use a wireless mouse with my laptop, hate using trackpad.

Same here. I always disable the track pad when I buy a new laptop. I will not under any circumstance use the track pad. Hate it!