Anyone bite on the Neverwinter nights Founder packages?

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
There are 2 that get you beta access, one beta of course was last weekend. There are 2 more planned. There is a $199 and a $59 founder package.

I might bite on the $59, anyone in beta or try it out? Would post links but at work and can't access the site.

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
New F2P Neverwinter Nights game coming out, looks pretty good. Would post more info, but can't get to much at work.

Cryptic Studios took over the project.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Not me. I might try it at some point but I'm not a big MMO fan - I've mostly played SW:TOR and Star Trek Online for the solo story content.

And that was partly for the sci fi / sci fantasy setting. For a D&D style setting I have piles of single-player RPGs in the unplayed stack.

Wardawg1001

Sep 4, 2008
The fact that anything can be a "$549 value" and contains nothing but in-game items is very off-putting, regardless of how good the discount is, especially when most of it is not cosmetic in nature. I despise the cash shop model of gaming that is becoming so prevalent lately. I wouldn't play this game even if someone gave me an account with their fantastic "$549 value" package on it for free.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Paying for beta access makes me laugh.

I remember when it was a privilege and not a money grab. :(

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Dear Congressman, please pass a law outlawing use of the term "Free to play" for products that have in-game content with a '$549 value'.

We need new terminology. Free to play is a card game on the internet you don't have to pay for prettier cards. This is 'free to play with options that cost money'.

When a game has a free demo, does that make it free to play, where the rest of the game is an optional purchase?

Spiderweb software makes about the first 20% of the game a free demo - but they've always called it a 'game you buy', not 'free to play'.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
From Cryptic's website tonight:

"City of Heroes still operates today..." No, you closed it in November.

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
It probably didn't have Nights in it.

I don't mind some F2P stuff, and the 199 is more for Drizzt fans and the such since the unlocks and special perks revolve around that.

I still think it has potential to be decent but we will see.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
good way to gurentee the game sucks. Make it F2P and have bunch of micro-transactions.
this game is doomed to fail.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I'll give it a try whenever it's actually released simply because I love NWN, but I'm not expecting much out of it.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Yet Another Failed MMO In The Making.

This will fail, just another poor product in a long line of attempted cash cows.

Wardawg1001

Sep 4, 2008
good way to gurentee the game sucks. Make it F2P and have bunch of micro-transactions.
this game is doomed to fail.

It depends on your definition of fail. As a game worthy of praise, yes it will fail. But it will most likely be at least moderately, if not extremely, successful from a monetary perspective. This type of game has become popular for a reason, and its not because it allows for high quality games.

Wardawg1001

Sep 4, 2008
Dear Congressman, please pass a law outlawing use of the term "Free to play" for products that have in-game content with a '$549 value'.

We need new terminology. Free to play is a card game on the internet you don't have to pay for prettier cards. This is 'free to play with options that cost money'.

When a game has a free demo, does that make it free to play, where the rest of the game is an optional purchase?

Spiderweb software makes about the first 20% of the game a free demo - but they've always called it a 'game you buy', not 'free to play'.

Whats even more alarming is that this '$549 value' package is probably just the tip of the iceberg. I'd imagine its not difficult to spend a few thousand dollars in just a couple months.