Anyone actually using a hummingboard?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I've got a raspberry pi B+ but I need something with a little more power and faster network performance in order to play my ripped uncompressed bluray images.

The hummingboard looks like it will fit the bill but trying to find info on it and real world performance has been a little difficult. You ever have that feeling when researching a product that the manufacture has gone all over the web to post reviews, testimonials, and forum posts to drum up business? That's the feeling I have when trying to look up information on this thing.

So does anyone own one and can you compare it's performance to a raspberry pi.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
I've got a raspberry pi B+ but I need something with a little more power and faster network performance in order to play my ripped uncompressed bluray images.

It is called a Chromebox, that is the "new Pi."

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Chromebox has Gigabit ethernet and a CPU that can power through any Blu Ray.

Hmm...I was hoping for something under $100 and the cheapest I've seen is $150.

I'm hesitant to even look into it because my experience with chromcast was horrible and seems totally pointless to me but if it can be hacked to run xbmc and do what I want I might have to reconsider.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Hmm...I was hoping for something under $100 and the cheapest I've seen is $150.

I'm hesitant to even look into it because my experience with chromcast was horrible and seems totally pointless to me but if it can be hacked to run xbmc and do what I want I might have to reconsider.

Chromebox is a completely different deal. It is a full x86 computer you can hack to run the XBMC OS. Basically it is just a cheap NUC, the "Chrome" part is worthless. The point is to take Google hardware subsidy and use it for our own purposes.

It is pricier than other options, but that is because it is better than other options. Unlike a Pi, or even a Fire TV, a Chromebox has the CPU power to decode whatever the built in GPU can't. That plus a fan less design is why it is THE device for this stuff this year and probably next.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

The hummingboard looks like it will fit the bill but trying to find info on it and real world performance has been a little difficult. You ever have that feeling when researching a product that the manufacture has gone all over the web to post reviews, testimonials, and forum posts to drum up business? That's the feeling I have when trying to look up information on this thing.

So does anyone own one and can you compare it's performance to a raspberry pi.

Wow, neat. I ordered a CuBox i4Pro, we'll see how it works! Quad CPU, 2GB RAM, and Gigabit NIC...nice!

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
For the same price you could get a quad core Odroid or for $20-30 more you could get the octo-core version both of which completely destroy Hummingboard.Not that the hummingboard is bad or anything just wanted to throw out another option for us Mini PC Arm lovers.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Quick update: finally got my Cubox in, shipped direct from Israel (took like a month to ship!). Popped in my standard Logitech MK320 combo (wireless keyboard & mouse with micro Unity USB receiver) and plugged it into a desktop LCD screen via HDMI. Works like a champ! It's nice because it's turn-key...the box contains the cube & wallwart, plug it in along with HDMI & USB for input, voila...Android 4.4. The funny thing is the power supply is nearly bigger than the unit itself is :D