Anybody use bar code scanners for inventory or POS?

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
I am overhauling our company inventory system, and I am the market for bar code scanners.
I was going to buy my friends old scanner from when he had his own store, but he said it wasn't too good, and that it was really picky, even with big flat bar labels.

I was looking at Wasp, just because they are in google in a lot of searches, and people like Staples has them.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
We use a TREO with a third party (SOCKET) Scanner that scans Bar Codes on the packages and gives Proof Of Delivery via email. POD consists of a signature written on the screen (works very well) or a photo of the package at the door using the TREO's built in camera.

All coms are over SPRINT network.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Symbol pretty much rules this arena. They have models that can read a scan from 90 feet.

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
We use Symbol MC50's, MC70's and the old 1846's.

The MC50's/70's are my preferred choice.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Symbol. At both of my jobs.

EDIT: Aside from a barcode that is mostly garbage, all the models we have will read just about anything. My secondary job is in manufacturing where there is a ton of grease and oil all over. They still manage to read our work orders and are extremely durable.

Feb 24, 2001
Symbol
Opticon

Have more experience with Opticon. Kinda difficult to get working the first go 'round, but they work and last long time.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: TwiceOver

EDIT: Aside from a barcode that is mostly garbage, all the models we have will read just about anything. My secondary job is in manufacturing where there is a ton of grease and oil all over. They still manage to read our work orders and are extremely durable.

general consensus says Symbol. Thanks guys!
I'll call their sales office.

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Originally posted by: foghorn67
Originally posted by: TwiceOver

general consensus says Symbol. Thanks guys!
I'll call their sales office.

Be advised Symbol scanners are kind of pricey, but definitely worth the money. If you're in California, Barcode Specialties and Redline Solutions are resellers of Symbol equipment.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: KLin
Be advised Symbol scanners are kind of pricey, but definitely worth the money. If you're in California, Barcode Specialties and Redline Solutions are resellers of Symbol equipment.

Looking those vendors up now....
thx.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
We use Symbol MC9090s as they are the only ones that can hold up to the stresses that workers in an industrial setting put them through. We used to have HHPs and we'd be sending them back every couple of days for repairs. Not many scanners can handle 6 foot drops on cement.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
We use Symbol MC9090s as they are the only ones that can hold up to the stresses that workers in an industrial setting put them through. We used to have HHPs and we'd be sending them back every couple of days for repairs. Not many scanners can handle 6 foot drops on cement.

Oh damn. I am not sure if I need it that durable.
Also....anybody know Dell's barcode method (EAN13 or UPC-A)? I am calling them now, that might be a circus to find that answer.

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004

Also....anybody know Dell's barcode method (EAN13 or UPC-A)? I am calling them now, that might be a circus to find that answer.

Trust me, you ALWAYS need them to be that durable. Workers tend to have the "its not mine so why should I care for it" sort of attitude. It will save you loads of headache trying to get them replaced/repaired. One symbol will last you a life time....unless you run over it with a dozer and then its still 50/50

WannaFly

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2003
I'm suprised by the answers here. It really, REALLY depends on what you want. Just regular POS stations, no need for integrated devices - a simple bar code reader will work.

On out POS systems, we use http://www.handheld.com/Site.a...r/hardware/?product=35 and they work great.

For industrial/rugged we use integrated ruggedized symbol units running our own custom software.

It really depends on your situation what you need to integrate with and what you are looking for.

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000

If you're talking about service tag barcode on the Dell PC's/laptops, it's Code 128(just tested it with a symbol scanner using the datawedge test utility) ;).

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
I tried WASP once and I hated the software it came with because it was limited and disorganized, but that was several years ago so that may have improved. I haven't worked with one since so I don't have another suggestion for you :(

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: KLin
If you're talking about service tag barcode on the Dell PC's/laptops, it's Code 128(just tested it with a symbol scanner using the datawedge test utility) ;).

OMG, you rock!!!

thanks!!!

Wannafly:
I work for a mortgage company's IT dept. We have thousands of computers. That alone isn't a big deal, but none are accounted for besides invoices. Since nobody wants to pick up the slack for it, I took it upon myself to come up with something.
I administrate our helpdesk software (SDE/Magic) which has a built in asset management feature.
We have several reasons why it prompted me to do this (Audits, current idle time, and the fact we have tons of computers and IP phones not in use due to cutbacks)