Anybody remember the Sega Master System?

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Back in the mid to late 80's, I remember looking through the Sears catalog and salivating over the Sega Master system and its games. I was still using my TI 99/4a home computer from the early 80's for gaming, and I had played various Atari systems at my friends' houses.

Eventually I got a cheap used Sega Genesis, put a Master System converter on top of it, and played Golvellius to death on it.
Evidently in some parts of the world, new games were coming out on the Master System through the mid 90's.....

Anyone else have any fond memories of this system?

Reactions: NTMBK

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Never owned one, but had the converter back in they day. I don't remember exactly which games we played, but had probably 10+ cartridges.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I had one in the late 80s for a year or two, but I got it after the Genesis was already released and owned them at the same time. Funny enough...I never owned a Nintendo system until the N64 years later (97ish?), but always liked the Sega exclusives like Sonic and Shinobi.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I had one in the late 80s for a year or two, but I got it after the Genesis was already released and owned them at the same time. Funny enough...I never owned a Nintendo system until the N64 years later (97ish?), but always liked the Sega exclusives like Sonic and Shinobi.
I probably played through Revenge of Shinobi 50 times. One of my favorite games from that system.

• Love
Reactions: Pohemi

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

I was always pissed they never did an arcade quality port of Shinobi on the Genesis. and had to wait until a System16 emulator came out in like 1997 to finally play Shinobi at home in arcade quality. I had it on DOS and played the NES version at a friend's house but they sucked in comparison to the real thing, and the SMS port didn't look a whole lot better. I would have begged my parents for a Genesis for Christmas every year if they would have ever ported the original Shinobi to it.

Reactions: Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I was always pissed they never did an arcade quality port of Shinobi on the Genesis. and had to wait until a System16 emulator came out in like 1997 to finally play Shinobi at home in arcade quality. I had it on DOS and played the NES version at a friend's house but they sucked in comparison to the real thing, and the SMS port didn't look a whole lot better. I would have begged my parents for a Genesis for Christmas every year if they would have ever ported the original Shinobi to it.
Yeah, I agree with @KentState about 'Revenge of Shinobi' being the best one of the series on the Genesis, but I also pumped countless quarters into the arcade version. When my dad would take me to the arcade and give me a pocket full of quarters/tokens...they all went into Shinobi, Rampage, and the original Street Fighter.

Also: I love console emulators

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
What do you guys think the top 3 games on Master System were? For me, probably: Wonder Boy in Monster World, Pengo, and Rampart.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Wonder Boy is probably my #1. Not sure I recall what other games I really played.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
BTW, Pengo was originally only released for Game Gear, but someone eventually released a hard copy for Master System just for fun......

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
BTW, Pengo was originally only released for Game Gear, but someone eventually released a hard copy for Master System just for fun......
That's neat to know. If I still had my Master System, I'd try to pick up a copy. Pengo was one of my favorite arcade games.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Never knew this until today - my first computer, the TI 99/4a, used essentially the same TI video and sound processor that the Sega Master System Did. The Sega Genesis used an updated version.

Reactions: NTMBK

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I had one back when it was released. Played it for a week then returned it because I needed the money. It was pretty cool at the time.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I forgot that Sonic came out for the Master System. I wonder how difficult it would be to create a new Master System game from scratch.....

trungma

Jul 1, 2001
Phantasy Star and Wonder Boy 3. Great games! Sad I don't have it anymore now that I am collecting all the classic consoles.

FlawleZ

Oct 13, 2016
The Sega Master System is one of the few earlier consoles I don't yet have. What's interesting to me is how capable the system was which you can see from newer games that were back ported to it.

AlexKidd5000

Aug 21, 2013
The Sega Master System is one of the few earlier consoles I don't yet have. What's interesting to me is how capable the system was which you can see from newer games that were back ported to it.
Which games were back ported to it? I'm curious.

Feb 15, 2024
I rember I used to play Alex Kidd in Miracle World and Sonic for hours when I was a kid. If it wasn't for them I would have never became a gamer.