Anybody playing the game Contagion (sucessor to ZP Source)? Awesome game last night.

hoorah

Dec 8, 2005
So I got this game on kickstarter awhile back, played a few rounds when it was early access but never really got into it. Its the successor to Zombie Panic Source, a game I played a ton and really loved. Contagion is more like ZPS + Left4Dead. Its much more objective and teamwork focused than L4D and has a much slower pace. The combat is less arcade-y and more methodical.

So after playing awhile with 3 other people that didn't know what the objectives were (you have to do a series of objectives in order to escape, like in ZPS), my last teammate died as we were about to enter the subway station of Barlowe square (last 20% of the map). He wished me good luck and I went on with only 10-15% of my health left but a pretty solid weapon loadout (probably why all my teammates died).

I had never gotten this far on the map so the experience was totally new. Very creepy atmosphere, and there were no zombies underground, yet. I hit the next objective which then told me I had to start something like 10 generators to get the train going, and in doing so, I had opened the gate to let the zombies in.

So, I'm running around trying to find these generators and don't know the map. I'm 1 or 2 hits away from dying and I suddenly become aware of the fantastic atmosphere. I'm alone, its mostly dark, and I don't know where the zombies are coming from. Around every corner there could be none, 2, or 200. I start hitting the generators and the zombies keep coming. I've got enough ammo for now, but no idea how long I have to hold out. A few close calls as I turn blind corners and one or two panics as I rapid fire instead of controlled headshots but so far I've been lucky not to get tagged.

I've now hit 8 generators and I need 2 more, and zombies are everywhere now. I empty out my long rifle and ditch it, saving the AR ammo for last. Probably not going to make it. Hit the last 2 generators and now the objective changes to getting to the train. I try to make used of my IED, but the zombies are swarming and I don't have time to stand in one place to set it. I zigzag through the horde, nailing headshots with the pistol until I can get to the train platform, then the pistol runs dry. I'm down to my last mag in the AR and figure that this is the end, there is no way I'm going to finish with only one mag left. I empty out half of the AR mag, taking down as many as I can. I ran through the open door on the train and to my surprise, the train leaves and I see a cutscene. I made it.

I'm sure if I continue to play the game, I will learn the map, learn the mechanics and the magic will disappear from the experience. But man, that first successful playthrough though - that was intense. Loved it.

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
I gave this game 5 or 6 tries over the course of early access. I just could not get in to it.

My biggest gripe is the movement speed. Your character is so unbearably slow.

I like the idea, though. I want something that is objective-based and less arcade-y than L4D but this just didn't do it for me.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
I backed this and tried it across a few releases, honestly they shouldn't have bothered with basic TDM and focused on the objective game mode as that's where the fun is, it's really good but like most survival coop (e.g L4D) they need to focus on as many maps as possible and fast as possible with as much randomness/variance. It was the lack of coop content that stopped me from going back. I'll check it out again when they have a bunch more maps to try.

hoorah

Dec 8, 2005
My biggest gripe is the movement speed. Your character is so unbearably slow.

The game is definitely not without its faults. Yes, the movement is slow. You pretty much have to run everywhere (with limited stamina).

Also, people (myself included) frequently get lost on the objectives. I once missed a turn and spent 15 minutes running around in a fenced in area until I finally found the exit to the next objective.

hoorah

Dec 8, 2005
I backed this and tried it across a few releases, honestly they shouldn't have bothered with basic TDM and focused on the objective game mode as that's where the fun is, it's really good but like most survival coop (e.g L4D) they need to focus on as many maps as possible and fast as possible with as much randomness/variance. It was the lack of coop content that stopped me from going back. I'll check it out again when they have a bunch more maps to try.

Not sure where the TDM is. There is a free-for-all deathmatch mode if thats what you mean. In any event, the DM is the worst I have ever played in any game, ever.

Once you die in DM, you become a zombie which also tries to kill the remaining survivors. Once a few survivors die, there are so many zombies and the zombies are so OP that it just becomes a campfest with the last 2 or 3 survivors hiding in a corner or other difficult to reach area of the map, for 10 SOLID MINUTES. A deathmatch game that results in 10 minutes of the last 2 people hiding from everyone. Every time. Deathmatch couldn't be more broken.

The co-op portion of the escape maps I would say is pretty good now, but definitely needs some polish.