anybody know a Good recipe for Pot Roast

Kerouactivist

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2001
It sounds so good my mom used to make it with potatos and carrots, I dunno how to make it any recipes????

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
well you need a roasting pan. and those roasting bags are nice since they're easy to clean up. basically you stick a hunk of meat in the oven with some vegatables and some sort of seasoning on the meat (french onion soup works well) and cook it so its about 165F inside.

AU Tiger

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 1999
There was a real easy recipe that I used to follow where you cranked the oven up to 400 or higher for a certain amount of time then turned off the oven and let the roast sit in there for so many hours. What this did was it seared the outside of the meat, then it slow cooked as the oven cooled. This yields a very tender pot roast. The cooking time is based on the size of the meat.

Smaulz

Jun 20, 2001
Best and most simple way to do it is in the Crock Pot or Roasting Pan. Sear the roast in a cast iron pan set on high, (very hot). Keep turning it so all sides are browned nicely. You defnitely want to have the pan hot, so the meat sears, NOT cooks. Then put the roast in the Crock Pot or Roasting Pan and cover it 3/4 of the way with either water or beef stock if you can find it. Add salt, pepper, a few bay leaves, and maybe some chopped garlic and onion, (small dice). Let that cook on low for a few hours, then add baby carrots, new potatoes, (Or chopped regular potatoes, new are better though), and either some large chopped onion or pearl onions. Let it cook for another hour or so, and there ya go! The best pot roast EVAR!!!

[EDIT]

You can tell when it's done if you can pull the meat apart very easily. :)

Kerouactivist

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Smaulz
Best and most simple way to do it is in the Crock Pot or Roasting Pan. Sear the roast in a cast iron pan set on high, (very hot). Keep turning it so all sides are browned nicely. You defnitely want to have the pan hot, so the meat sears, NOT cooks. Then put the roast in the Crock Pot or Roasting Pan and cover it 3/4 of the way with either water or beef stock if you can find it. Add salt, pepper, a few bay leaves, and maybe some chopped garlic and onion, (small dice). Let that cook on low for a few hours, then add baby carrots, new potatoes, (Or chopped regular potatoes, new are better though), and either some large chopped onion or pearl onions. Let it cook for another hour or so, and there ya go! The best pot roast EVAR!!!

[EDIT]

You can tell when it's done if you can pull the meat apart very easily. :)

What temperature do you set the oven too??? I don't have a crock pot.

Smaulz

Jun 20, 2001
Well, you can do it in an oven as long as you have a big, sturdy roasting pot. It's not quite the same, but should still be good. I wouldn't set the oven any higher than like 275-300. You want to cook it for a long time at a LOW temp, that's where the flavor and texture comes from. :)

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Just get the boil in the bag hormel Beef roast or their Pork roast. Just boil the water, stick the bag in the water and in 10-12 minutes you got some delicious roast, just melts in your mouth. it costs about 5 bucks. My wife has tried making a roast in the crockpot but even her best attempt doesn't quite match hormels.(don't tell her I said that. :) ) Also if you have a grill, you can get their Pork tenderloins, juiciest pork tenderloin you'll ever eat. I prefer their salsa flavor tenderloin.

KK

Slacker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, I have had the precooked pot roast from the supermarket, they are pretty good, though a bit small and a little expensive.

Nuke it for ten minutes, boil up some canned precooked potatos and carrots and heat up some gravy in a jar, a home heated meal in less than 20 minutes.

mithrandir2001

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
Originally posted by: bthorny

What temperature do you set the oven too??? I don't have a crock pot.
Think SLOW. If you have time, set the oven temperature to 275 degrees. A 4 pound roast may take 2.5 hours, but roasts love slow cooking.

If you like making roasts, buy one of those digital thermometers with the metal probes. Stick the probe in the meat and place the readout display on the stovetop (there's a cord between the probe and the LCD). Set the alarm to go off when the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees for medium-rare meat.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
This is both simple and good. Alton Browns pot roast

I suggest browning both sides of the roast. Much, much better.

Also, try using a cast iron pan. You can cover it with foil, and withstands nuclear meltdowns. That means you can brown the meat on the stove and then put it in the oven to finish. Cheap too. Every kitchen needs one (12 inch or so)

NetworkDad

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2001
One of my favorite ways is to take 2 small jars of pepperoncini's - Dump both jars (juice & all) and the roast into a crock-pot. Set for auto cook or low, and cook that bad boy all day.

Take your favorite loaf of french or sourdough bread and slice it open. Stuff it with the beef, and a few peppers. Add some velveeta for extra effect.

If you bring this to a sunday afternoon football party, you will be the most popular person there.!;)

Sealy

Platinum Member
Aug 4, 2002
First mince some garlic and garlic powder/salt and butter. Stab the roast with a knife all over. Smear butter spread all over roast. Then flour each side of the roast. Sear(fry each side of the roast) to seal it. Put roast in pot uncovered for 30 mins. Put in potatoes, Carrots, Parsnips, whatever you like in the pot and cover. Cook until meat thermometer says it's cooked! This is the most juicy roast you will ever have! And yes it's my own recipe!

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
We have pot roast here most every Sunday. My wife places a frozen pot roast into a crock pot, adds McCormick Montreal Steak seasoning and a dry packet of brown gravy sprinkled on top. Put the lid on and set at low, come back 6 or 8 hours later for the best tasting, melt in your mouth pot roast on the planet. If you want vegies cooked with it, place carrots and potatoes in with it. The frozen roast provides all the moisture neccesary to cook the vegies. The Staek seasoning has the right amount of seasoning,garilc and pepeprsandsalts to give the meat a very flavorful taste.

Who said you can't get a good recipe in ATOT? sheeesh;)

Sgt.Speculum

Oct 9, 1999
I will de-lurk to post this, only because I make the best damn pot roast. This recipe comes from my great grandmother, to my grandmother, she showed my father, and he showed me. Since this is a legacy recipe, it's surprisingly easy. Try this, and you will always make this recipe.

You need a 2-3 lb hunk of meat, top round/bottom round/rump roast
2-3 large white onions
some vegetable/olive oil
salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, season to taste.
1 cup ketchup
1/3 cup soy or worstecsheshire sauce
2/3 cup red wine or beer or white wine, all work well
1 tablespoon mustard.
carrots/pototoes as much as you want

Start with a pot that you can put the roast in and cover with a lid, I think I have an 8 qt that I use. Put a few tspns of oil in the pot get it hot, sear the roast on all sides. Take out of pot. Slice the onions, doesn't need to be thin, and place evenly in the bottom of the pot, should be about one to 1.5 inches of onion on the botton of the pot.. This becomes a bed to put the roast on. Turn the heat to low, put the roast back in, if it has a fatty side, put the fatty side up. Mix together ketchup, mustard, soy/worst sauce, beer, throw in a few tablespoons of onion powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder (I never measure, I just throw in a lot) the pepper, some salt, in a bowl, and pour over the top of the roast. Don't sir the pot or anything! Just cover, and cook for about 3 hours at low heat, should be a nice slow simmer.

If you want to eat it that night, which we never do, you could throw in pototoes, carrots for the last hour just unitl it's cooked through, and serve. HOWEVER, I strongly recommend this. I always take it off the heat and cool it (put the pot in a sink of cold water to cool it quickly, no need for food poisoning). In the winter I usually bury the damn pot in snow in the back yard. Refridge overnight. Slice it the next day when it's cold, that way you can slice it really thin if you want. take one pot roast sammich for lunch that day. That night, put the pot back on the stove add the potatoes and carrots, simmer until cooked through. Usually serve with egg noodles.

It sounds funny, the ketchup and stuff, but, the onions cook down, and release juice with the meat juices, and then the ketchup and wine, It ends up being this incredibly brown gravy, you've never tasted anything like this I swear. I've passed this recipe out to 2 people at work, and now they always make it this way.

Enjoy. Now excuse me as I return to lurk mode.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I cooked a Blade roast (same as pot roast) last month.

1st thing to do is get a good quality piece of meat. Try an abattoir. I used a 5lb roast.

I used a roasting pan and put an inch or so of water in it. Set the oven to 400 and let the roast sear for about a 1/2 hour. change temp to 350.

Cover and cook till done. Baste every 1/2 hour. Lower temp every hour till you're down to 300.

I assume it is already seasoned.

When the roast is done, remove it and put the vegies in the pan with the liquid from the roast. Cover it and cook till desired tenderness.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
You can follow any of the recipes listed, they're all good! But the secret to an awesome pot roast is horseradish. Coat the roast with a jar of it before you start cooking. It gives it an awsome taste, not like raw horseradish...the slow cooking takes out alot of the spiciness/tangyness. Just leaves a nice flavor to the meat. You can add it to any pot roast recipe and I guarantee it'll be even better! :)

<--Pot roast afficianado.