ANYBODY HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH BFG CARDS?

ricleo2

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2004
I recently bought several new components from NewEgg. I am having a recurring problem with the BFG 9800GX2 card. I have been sent three different cards now, all have some physical damage to them. The first card had a piece of the cast broken off and was cracked. The second one had damage to the retail box where it looked like a badger had chewed on it and the card was all bent up at the metal that mounts to the case. The third and latest card showed no box damage but the card itself also had metal damage where it was bent all the way flat around the bottom of the card. Anybody else out there have a similar problem?
By the way, this is not a complaint against NewEgg. Their customer service people have gone out of their way to make me happy. Really outstanding service. I am just tired of dealing with it all and will keep this latest card if it works all right. I will still shop at NewEgg and recommend them highly.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Owned one BFG 8800GT OC. Worked flawlessly, no damage to the box or to the card.

No complaints that can be levelled at BFG directly. The only complaint would be that the 8800GT was a single slot solution and the cooler wasnt great, plus the early problem with the fan speed locked at 25%? which was inherent in all 8800GT's.

Must just be bad luck on your end.

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
you must have upset your neighbors somehow.

I can imagine a crazy man kicking your delivery to a pulp while it is on your front porch >_>

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Originally posted by: gersson

I can imagine a crazy man kicking your delivery to a pulp while it is on your front porch >_>

:laugh:

ricleo2

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: gersson

Actually I wish that were true as it would explain it all. As stated the shipping boxes were in good shape. And it was delivered here at work. From the responses so far I would hazard a guess I was just unlucky. Anyway I finally got my new system built last night and everything runs really fine.

Rubenov

Jun 27, 2008
Hey ricleo I have a question...

I'm building my rig tomorrow (first build), and I'm using the same MB as you. I've heard the 780i has an issue with connecting SATA hard drives / optical drives until you update to BIOS version P05. Did you use SATA drives and experienced any issues?

Also, could you kind of point me towards the location of the Front Panel audio pins on the motherboard? A lot of people have been confusing these up. Thanks!

ricleo2

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Rubenov
Hey ricleo I have a question...

I'm building my rig tomorrow (first build), and I'm using the same MB as you. I've heard the 780i has an issue with connecting SATA hard drives / optical drives until you update to BIOS version P05. Did you use SATA drives and experienced any issues?

Also, could you kind of point me towards the location of the Front Panel audio pins on the motherboard? A lot of people have been confusing these up. Thanks!

The first thing I did was flash the Mb bios to the latest from EVGA's website. I had no problems with installing my 3 sata raptors except I had to update XP to the service packs before it would recognize the non boot drives as formatted. I am not using the front audio jacks so I can?t help you there. Everything installed pretty smoothly and the new machine seems very stable and fast. Except for the video card problems it was fun to build. But I have not played any games yet or ran any stress tests. Oh, and I have not installed the sound card yet.

ricleo2

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: clandren
is there a reason you like to post topic titles in all caps?

I did not realize that until you brought it up. So no, there was no reason.

ricleo2

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2004
Man, I wonder if this whole transaction could get any weirder. I posted a review of my problem with NewEgg two days ago at Reselleratings.com. This, of course, prompted a phone call to me from NewEgg customer service not 5 minutes later.
Well when this new post finally showed up at resellerratings.com, it has overwritten a 3 year old review I gave on 10/13/2005! The review there now was the one I wrote two days ago. By the way, UPS was the carrier for the latest stuff. Conspiracy theorists enjoy!

http://www.resellerratings.com...t=225061#comment225061

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
Originally posted by: ricleo2

just to let you know its considered somewhat rude to post in all caps. its akin to someone yelling

ricleo2

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2004

just to let you know its considered somewhat rude to post in all caps. its akin to someone yelling

Certainly don't want to be rude. Please forgive.

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
well theres nothing that i saw in the tos (terms of service) for making posts in all caps, but some people might think you are yelling lol

ricleo2

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2004
well theres nothing that i saw in the tos (terms of service) for making posts in all caps, but some people might think you are yelling lol

My goodness, I guess this Newegg transaction can get weirder. But all this is a great distraction from work. MORE, MORE, GIVE ME MORE! Opps, sorry about the caps.

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005
I'd sen jonnyguru a PM and see if their is anything he can do on his end with bfg and see just rma the card to them instead of newegg.

ricleo2

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Quiksilver
I'd sen jonnyguru a PM and see if their is anything he can do on his end with bfg and see just rma the card to them instead of newegg.

Who?

ricleo2

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2004
By the way. I sent an email to resellerratings.com about the screwed up review. If I don't here back from then I would start being weary about their service.

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005

Who?

jonnyguru

...runs this site:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/

... is at mod in psu section

...works for bfg

he might have some pull at bfg to correct the problem or recommend a rma center... or who knows.

ricleo2

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2004

Who?

jonnyguru

...runs this site:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/

... is at mod in psu section

...works for bfg

he might have some pull at bfg to correct the problem or recommend a rma center... or who knows.

Thanks.

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
You don't need my help. You should RMA The card with BFG regardless.

I guess you didn't see the big text on the flap of the box that said "Problems? Do not return this card to the store. Please call....."

Anytime you want to RMA something for exchange your first course of action should be with the manufacturer unless they suggest otherwise.

Why?

As great as Newegg is, when you return something there you're nothing more than a number. Product in, product out with no regard as to the number of times you do the exchange and if there's consistantly the same type of problem each time. With the manufacturer you're actually given technical support and they keep track of the problems, the returns and, in times like these, may even pre-test a card to ensure you don't have to return yet another card.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
It may be anecdotal, but everytime I go to Fry's I see more "open box" BFG cards on the shelf than any other x 2.