Anybody have any ideas as to what I should write my research papers on?

Broohaha

Banned
Jan 4, 2001
One has to be about the Soviet Economy
One has to be about Democracy in Africa
Help me, oh ATOT scholars...
Any suggestions?

Broohaha

Banned
Jan 4, 2001
econ 062 - soviet economy - needs to be 10-12 pages on either soviet era or transition era russian economics
psci 312 - democracy in africa - needs to be 15-20 pages on any issue related to africa/democracy...

im pretty sure i can pull the econ one out my ass but the africa one will be harder. im not very familiar with african history and politics. i was thinking about focusing on one aspect of the democratic transition in one country. i.e. the renamo/fremilo battle in mozambique or the many tensions and problems in uganda... anybody got any ideas?

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Maybe how todays society has hindered a persons ability to make a decision on their own.

Just a thought.

Broohaha

Banned
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Sluggo
Maybe how todays society has hindered a persons ability to make a decision on their own. Just a thought.

this is psci/econ, not philosophy :p

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Broohaha
One has to be about the Soviet Economy
One has to be about Democracy in Africa
Help me, oh ATOT scholars...
Any suggestions?

you can talk about the democracy struggles going on in Nigeria.

In the 70s/80s it used to be a military regime. Things were prospering, the Nigerian "Naira" (currency) was stronger than the British pound and US dollar. However, for some reason that escapes me now, the coutnry changed to democracy. Things went downhill. So there was a coup d'etat, and the military took over. Turns out the leaders now were corrupt assh0les who ruined the country. Then they tried another demotcratic election, but another coup d'etat occured. This military regime continued till recently, when the country once again became democratic.

My friend's father was supposed to be vice-President of Nigeria in the early 90s election but when the coup d'etat occured, Gen. Sani Abacha took over and threw the then to-be-President into house arrest and made my friend's dad a Minister.

Obviously that was the general history, and some parts may be wrong. Do some research.

And don't get me wrong, Nigeria is an awesome country. Very nice people, very nice cities (check out Abuja -- the current capital), etc.. It just saddens me that the country and its people had to go thru so much grief. It was one of the riches African nations and it also has the most population (or highest density...forgot).

Hope that helps.