Anybody going to watch NASCAR now that Toyota is in it?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mellman

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2003
Originally posted by: FoBoT
are they still going to turn left? or are they switching ? ( to turning right for a couple years)

they have several road races every year...

And you really can't knock a nascar race til you've been ton one in person....its a pretty incredible experience.

I can't really watch it on TV in one sitting, i'll have it on while doing something else, but having driven down at charlotte in the school and hitting 185mph its by no means EASY to do what they do. watching a race at bristol & Richmond is so awesome :)

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Rumor is that Dale Jarrett is sleeping with Michael Waltrip's wife, and that all the spouses know about it. It's some weird arrangement?

(Michael Waltrip is the owner and driver for one of the Toyota teams, and he hired Jarrett to drive the other Toyota in the team.)

teckmaster

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: DougK62
Does it really matter? Those cars are so far from "stock" that they're basically all the same. A new entry with a Toyota-ish front end won't change anything.

The cars are exactly the same except for the front grills. everything else is just decals.

Other than that, the toyota is as much an american car as all the others.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: Mellman
are they still going to turn left? or are they switching ? ( to turning right for a couple years)

And you really can't knock a nascar race til you've been ton one in person....its a pretty incredible experience.

i am not knocking it, i just think the "turn left" joke is funny

Jun 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
Toyota's in NASCAR now? Heh, that should be an interesting trainwreck of cultures at races.

yeah they'll be going for wins this season and the championship the next.

like they've been meaning to do ever since they took on f1

guess what their F1 plan is this year? same as previous years. wins this season, championship the next.

yeah right. toyota are proving that even with an unlimited budget you cant just waltz in and mop up.

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
I wouldn't start watching the races, but would pay more attention to the news to see how Toyota does...

jupiter57

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: DougK62
Does it really matter? Those cars are so far from "stock" that they're basically all the same. A new entry with a Toyota-ish front end won't change anything.

QFT!
There are hardly any stock parts, mostly a small amount of sheet metal on SOME of the cars.
Engines & Transmissions are custom built, as well as the aerodynamically designed bodies.

BTW, I don't watch or follow NASCAR, but the wife does.
I'll usually watch the first few laps just to see if any good pileups occur, then maybe the last couple of laps to see who wins. (If I'm not too busy)
(I worked on a job once with Jeremy Mayfield's father, I just like to see how he does.)

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Mellman

I can't really watch it on TV in one sitting, i'll have it on while doing something else, but having driven down at charlotte in the school and hitting 185mph its by no means EASY to do what they do. watching a race at bristol & Richmond is so awesome :)

My friend went, said it was as if the clientele of all Wal-Marts nationwide had congregated there.

Personified by this famous fan

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah I'll watch it, it's the best thing on HDTV. Before I got my Home Theater I didn't really care that much but know I'm totally into it. It's a great team sport and very high tech these days. Bump Drafting at 200 MPH is hair raising, the drivers have mad skills.

BTW there's 2 or 3 road course races each year too

Smoke Stewart FTW!

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
I never made a habit out of watching it before, and Toyota being in it won't change that.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
This poll needs 4 choices to accomodate everyone:

1) I will continue to watch NASCAR
2) I will stop watching NASCAR
3) I will continue to NOT watch NASCAR
4) I will start watching NASCAR

I think you will find that option 3 is the winner by a landslide. But seriously.. why would having toyota make a fan not want to watch.

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
Originally posted by: j00fek
i cant stand watching 100 cars going in circles for 5 hrs

?
43 cars.

Less than 5 hours, LOL........

I have watched much less, in the last 10 years,
since the cars look much less like a Real "Stock" car
nowadays than 20-50 years ago.

RiDE

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2004
I used to watch that stuff all day a couple of years ago. I will literally sit down and watch the whole race. Bristol, Martinsville, Darlington, Talladega, Watkins Glen and Sears Point (when it was still called that) were my favorites. The points system is a bit of a turn off, but the Chase thing totally put me off. I haven't watched more than 5 minutes of a race since then.

I'll go check out how JPM and Toyota are doing now and then but that's about it.

heathertre

Jan 29, 2007
Doesn't matter to me. None of the drivers I follow will be driving a Toyota. I'm interested in seeing how long Toyota lasts.

fisheerman

Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: CraigRT
No.... dumbest sport ever

Rephrase that to "biggest sport ever".

How can you not get excited about cramming a track with more redneck people than any other sports venue (100K+ and sell out years in advance) and allowing them to bring all the beer that they can carry in ;)

Horsepower, rednecks, lots of beer, hot babes.

No other sport has that appeal......

fish

Hammerhead

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2001
Originally posted by: fisheerman
How can you not get excited about cramming a track with more redneck people than any other sports venue (100K+ and sell out years in advance) and allowing them to bring all the beer that they can carry in ;)

...and NOT start a riot

RiDE

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2004
Television makes NASCAR much more boring than it already looks. It really is a different atmosphere in person.