Anybody going to watch NASCAR now that Toyota is in it?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CFster

Golden Member
Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: CFster
Originally posted by: Mellman
Originally posted by: FoBoT
are they still going to turn left? or are they switching ? ( to turning right for a couple years)

they have several road races every year...

And you really can't knock a nascar race til you've been ton one in person....its a pretty incredible experience.

I can because I've been to F1 too. Now THAT'S an incredible experience. Those things just driving out of the garage is an event.

NASCAR is just...boring. Whether you're there or not. The road course races hold a mild interest for me - if only to see 3500lb tanks turn right.

But I think NASCAR will really go down the drain when they introduce the "car of tomorrow" next season - what a fugly pos. Their ratings are already in the crapper, this wont help.
Yeah nothing like 3 F1's going 200 MPH side by side..wait that's NASCAR, not F1.

BTW how are F1 ratings?

F1 ratings are great worldwide. As for the response in this country, all I can say is people here aren't cerebral enough to grasp the concept of formula racing. We want things spoon fed to us, and what better way a moving billboard that says Kelloggs on it going around in a circle. It's easy to watch and figure out. Road racing has never been popular in this country period. Remember this is in a society where wrestling is highest rated in it's time slot. I've never been of the opinion that if something is popular, that automatically makes it "good". The American public as a whole is stupid, and that's my opinion.

As for the close racing of NASCAR, it's manufactured with restrictor plates and ridiculous rules - mostly aero changes because the Ford guys are pissed the Chevy guys are going 1 mph faster at Daytona. Rather than develop their own cars, they complain about the competition. It's the WWF of motor racing, and I don't like it.

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
Originally posted by: Colt45
I wish nascar was still 'stock' cars rather than the crap it is now.

I still watch it sometime, but rally and F1 own it. hard.

WTF? Light another bowl, dude.

Which statement are you wtfing?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
are they still going to turn left? or are they switching ? ( to turning right for a couple years)

And you really can't knock a nascar race til you've been ton one in person....its a pretty incredible experience.

I can because I've been to F1 too. Now THAT'S an incredible experience. Those things just driving out of the garage is an event.

NASCAR is just...boring. Whether you're there or not. The road course races hold a mild interest for me - if only to see 3500lb tanks turn right.

But I think NASCAR will really go down the drain when they introduce the "car of tomorrow" next season - what a fugly pos. Their ratings are already in the crapper, this wont help.
Yeah nothing like 3 F1's going 200 MPH side by side..wait that's NASCAR, not F1.

BTW how are F1 ratings?

F1 ratings are great worldwide. As for the response in this country, all I can say is people here aren't cerebral enough to grasp the concept of formula racing. We want things spoon fed to us, and what better way a moving billboard that says Kelloggs on it going around in a circle. It's easy to watch and figure out. Road racing has never been popular in this country period. Remember this is in a society where wrestling is highest rated in it's time slot. I've never been of the opinion that if something is popular, that automatically makes it "good". The American public as a whole is stupid, and that's my opinion.

As for the close racing of NASCAR, it's manufactured with restrictor plates and ridiculous rules - mostly aero changes because the Ford guys are pissed the Chevy guys are going 1 mph faster at Daytona. Rather than develop their own cars, they complain about the competition. It's the WWF of motor racing, and I don't like it.
The difference between you and real Motor Sport enthusiasts is that they can appreciate all forms or racing. If you don't see how exciting NASCAR can be that's your loss. Go ahead and think you are smarter than most, you are only deluding yourself as I don't believe anybody is really buying it.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
F1 is boring because of the lack of action. Sure the cars are flying around the track at an insane speed, but there is very little passing. In F1 10 lead changes (not drivers) in a race is a rare event. What fun is it when you can pretty much guess the race order by the starting order?

And I'm not a fan of NASCAR. I can appreciate the appeal though.

CFster

Golden Member
Oct 16, 1999

BTW how are F1 ratings?

The difference between you and real Motor Sport enthusiasts is that they can appreciate all forms or racing. If you don't see how exciting NASCAR can be that's your loss. Go ahead and think you are smarter than most, you are only deluding yourself as I don't believe anybody is really buying it.

Not really. Other forms of motorsport I enjoy are:

Champcar
IRL (sometimes)
GP2
F3
Rally
ALMS
Rolex Sports Cars
Grand Am Cup
Trans Am
Speed Touring and GT
FIA GT
British Touring Cars
German Touring Cars
European Touring Cars
World Touring Cars
SCCA Club Racing (which I participate in)
Drag Racing from time to time

Most of them I find immensely more satisfying to watch than NASCAR.

CFster

Golden Member
Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
F1 is boring because of the lack of action. Sure the cars are flying around the track at an insane speed, but there is very little passing. In F1 10 lead changes (not drivers) in a race is a rare event. What fun is it when you can pretty much guess the race order by the starting order?

And I'm not a fan of NASCAR. I can appreciate the appeal though.

My opinion on that is the competition is so fierce, that a pass of any kind is an accomplishment. Those guys are the best in the world, and they don't make it easy. Plus, you have to understand that F1 is a different type of racing. It's more of a team sport, and races are won or lost in the development of the car and driver. A true F1 fan doesn't watch just watch on Sunday - he watches all the practice and qualifying sessions on Friday and Saturday as well to see how the weekend unfolds.

I never said the "racing" was as close as NASCAR in F1. It isn't. The appeal to me is the insane limits the drivers and cars push every second. It's like nothing else in the world.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Plus, you have to understand that F1 is a different type of racing. It's more of a team sport, and races are won or lost in the development of the car and driver. A true F1 fan doesn't watch just watch on Sunday - he watches all the practice and qualifying sessions on Friday and Saturday as well to see how the weekend unfolds.
The exact same thing is true about NASCAR and diehard NASCAR fans which I'll admit I'm not. The more I watch it though the more I understand the Team aspect of it along with the High Tech aspect of it.