Anybody ever partake in the National Collegiate Cyber Defense Competition?

Dec 26, 2007
I'm participating with a group from my school, and I am looking to get any information on what we need to prepare for realisitically. Basic premise is our team is tasked with defending a network from professional penetration testing team (I believe from Dell, but not entirely sure) for ~8 hours. We have systems using:
Cent OS
Ubuntu
Fedora
Server 2k3
Server 2k8
Server 2k8R2
end systems with Windows XP, Vista, and 7 on them.
This is all behind a PIX 515E firewall and Cisco 2811 router.

If anybody has any experience with these devices and/or penetration testing, it would be greatly appreciated if I could talk with you about it.

EDIT: mods I was unsure if this should go in networking or security as it has aspects to both. While I think that networking would be more likely to find something for this, I thought security was the most fitting spot for this. If you feel that Networking would be a better place for it, please feel free to move it. Thanks!

Last edited:

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
While I haven't participated, I have talked with several people that have... And each of them has called it a great experience.

A few suggestions:
Be prepared to do a quick but thorough baseline at the start. (I know of one team that lost because they missed a rogue wireless access point at the start...)

Know the strengths of each of your team members. Be prepared to organise and delegate tasks during the competition to the best team member.

If possible, plan to have critical tasks cross-checked ...

If you have access to the systems prior to the competition, get as much hands on practice as possible.

Best of luck,
Uno

Dec 26, 2007
While I haven't participated, I have talked with several people that have... And each of them has called it a great experience.

A few suggestions:
Be prepared to do a quick but thorough baseline at the start. (I know of one team that lost because they missed a rogue wireless access point at the start...)

Know the strengths of each of your team members. Be prepared to organise and delegate tasks during the competition to the best team member.

If possible, plan to have critical tasks cross-checked ...

If you have access to the systems prior to the competition, get as much hands on practice as possible.

Best of luck,
Uno

Thanks!

It does seem to be a great experience and I'm looking forward to it, but it's going to be a ton of work over the next month.

I'll mention doing a baseline at the start. We know the topology and network, and AFAIK there is no other networking gear on the network. However, that doesn't mean there isn't and a baseline is a good idea at the start.

We are kind of doing a primary and backup for each device. So the primary is the "boss" and in control of the device. The backup is going to do cross checking type things. We have people overseeing the bigger operation too.

We have access to the environment for the next month, and plan to practice at least 2 days a week, but will most likely do more closer to the event.

pwnagesarus

Apr 9, 2007
You're going to have a blast...especially for those who do not possess previous professional experience. I imagine in most positions, your day-to-day is not going to be as intense.

I participated in the Northwest regional competition twice and both times, we did not know the exact topology until the competition. When building our practice setup, we based it off of what we knew the year before. Based on my experiences, here is what I'd recommend:

1. Research and find out best practices of locking down each particular system. Practice doing it (many times), know why you're doing it and if allowed, bring the documentation along. During the real event, it helps if you can focus your energy on remembering why you would want to do something as opposed to each particular syntax.

2. Once you've got your practice setup worked out, try performing your own security analysis and see how many openings you can find and close.

3. You will have other tasks to do aside from just fending off attacks.

4. Remember, defending a network is not just about patching up your systems or your totally awesome filters. There are much easier ways for someone to get what they need.

5. Whoever is keeping track of the overall operation should be extremely organized. They should know who is working on what specific task, and their time spent doing it.

6. Documentation for EVERYTHING is key. If something goes wrong, in a work environment, management will want to know what happened, why it happened and your actions.

7. Bring your resume and wear decent clothes. There will be company reps looking for fresh talent and plenty of chances to network.

Last edited:

SecurityTheatre

Aug 14, 2011
I do this for a living. In an internal corporate environment (i.e. we are already inside the firewall), it's almost too easy to break things. We rarely take more than few hours to get Domain Admin rights on a Windows network starting from zero with no social engineering (except getting into the building).

However, I have NO IDEA how these competition things work. I've only heard about it online.

But the things that really mess with me is...

1) Port security on access layer switches (prevents sniffing via APR injection, MAC spoofing, etc) - restrict to 1 MAC per port if you are able.
2) IP blacklisting. If you get port-scanned, block the IP for some period of time

Those things erase about 90% of the toolkit right away.

Other things that are important.

1) Service passwords - services like SQL and various management consoles are frequently overlooked by businesses and are often "easy win". When I find a blank SA password on a SQL box that is domain joined, we usually have complete network control in under 20 minutes.

2) OS Hardening - Obvious junk like MS08-067 or the Solaris telnetd issues from 2006 are also "auto win" for pentesters. More obscure stuff sometimes comes down to a bit of luck in putting together a remote compromise.

3) System hardening - Most older systems (Windows 2003, XP, etc) are notably stupid when it comes to baseline hardening. Run Microsoft's hardening templates that ship with domain controllers, or manually follow the CIS hardening guides if you are so inclined. Dumb things like LanManager hashing that is on by default in Windows environments or improper umasks in UNIX systems are where privilege escalation comes from. Also be careful of unnecessary services like some of the old dumb finger services that give out information, as well as the old RPC services like rsh and rlogin.

Presuming you don't have a lot of commercial tools to use, I suggest running a pass of Nessus against the devices and get a security baseline there. Also do a nmap -A against them as well. The Nmap script scanner is getting better and sometimes finds a gem.

Don't forget web applications. A lot of attacks begin with SQL injection, or some otherwise equally bonehead coding or configuration problem on the web services. Exhaustively looking for those tends to be more time consuming than many service/network level issues, but it's still worth it.

To cover ground quickly in webapps, a scanner is recommended. I don't know if there are any good free ones, but I strongly suggest Burp Suite, though it costs about $100 for a personal license. The free version is great for manual testing, but you lose out on the scanner portion until you pay.

Alas, I am out of time. Good luck!

Dec 26, 2007
You're going to have a blast...especially for those who do not possess previous professional experience. I imagine in most positions, your day-to-day is not going to be as intense.

I participated in the Northwest regional competition twice and both times, we did not know the exact topology until the competition. When building our practice setup, we based it off of what we knew the year before. Based on my experiences, here is what I'd recommend:

1. Research and find out best practices of locking down each particular system. Practice doing it (many times), know why you're doing it and if allowed, bring the documentation along. During the real event, it helps if you can focus your energy on remembering why you would want to do something as opposed to each particular syntax.

2. Once you've got your practice setup worked out, try performing your own security analysis and see how many openings you can find and close.

3. You will have other tasks to do aside from just fending off attacks.

4. Remember, defending a network is not just about patching up your systems or your totally awesome filters. There are much easier ways for someone to get what they need.

5. Whoever is keeping track of the overall operation should be extremely organized. They should know who is working on what specific task, and their time spent doing it.

6. Documentation for EVERYTHING is key. If something goes wrong, in a work environment, management will want to know what happened, why it happened and your actions.

7. Bring your resume and wear decent clothes. There will be company reps looking for fresh talent and plenty of chances to network.

Great info. Thanks! Some of this stuff we already planned on, the rest is stuff we are looking into for our topology and what we need to do for it.

I do this for a living. In an internal corporate environment (i.e. we are already inside the firewall), it's almost too easy to break things. We rarely take more than few hours to get Domain Admin rights on a Windows network starting from zero with no social engineering (except getting into the building).

However, I have NO IDEA how these competition things work. I've only heard about it online.

But the things that really mess with me is...

1) Port security on access layer switches (prevents sniffing via APR injection, MAC spoofing, etc) - restrict to 1 MAC per port if you are able.
2) IP blacklisting. If you get port-scanned, block the IP for some period of time

Those things erase about 90% of the toolkit right away.

Other things that are important.

1) Service passwords - services like SQL and various management consoles are frequently overlooked by businesses and are often "easy win". When I find a blank SA password on a SQL box that is domain joined, we usually have complete network control in under 20 minutes.

2) OS Hardening - Obvious junk like MS08-067 or the Solaris telnetd issues from 2006 are also "auto win" for pentesters. More obscure stuff sometimes comes down to a bit of luck in putting together a remote compromise.

3) System hardening - Most older systems (Windows 2003, XP, etc) are notably stupid when it comes to baseline hardening. Run Microsoft's hardening templates that ship with domain controllers, or manually follow the CIS hardening guides if you are so inclined. Dumb things like LanManager hashing that is on by default in Windows environments or improper umasks in UNIX systems are where privilege escalation comes from. Also be careful of unnecessary services like some of the old dumb finger services that give out information, as well as the old RPC services like rsh and rlogin.

Presuming you don't have a lot of commercial tools to use, I suggest running a pass of Nessus against the devices and get a security baseline there. Also do a nmap -A against them as well. The Nmap script scanner is getting better and sometimes finds a gem.

Don't forget web applications. A lot of attacks begin with SQL injection, or some otherwise equally bonehead coding or configuration problem on the web services. Exhaustively looking for those tends to be more time consuming than many service/network level issues, but it's still worth it.

To cover ground quickly in webapps, a scanner is recommended. I don't know if there are any good free ones, but I strongly suggest Burp Suite, though it costs about $100 for a personal license. The free version is great for manual testing, but you lose out on the scanner portion until you pay.

Alas, I am out of time. Good luck!

Thanks! Also great info. I would appreciate anything else you can provide to help with this. One thing I do want to mention is you stated you are doing your attacks from internal to the firewall. The Red Team is going to be outside the firewall (to the best of our knowledge they cannot attack from inside the firewall *unless* they hack their way in). So that means the firewall is going to be hit hard I'm thinking (along with the router as it is on the open side of the firewall which is just a PIX 515E), in addition to my Cent OS e-commerce box.

SecurityTheatre

Aug 14, 2011
Thanks! Also great info. I would appreciate anything else you can provide to help with this. One thing I do want to mention is you stated you are doing your attacks from internal to the firewall. The Red Team is going to be outside the firewall (to the best of our knowledge they cannot attack from inside the firewall *unless* they hack their way in). So that means the firewall is going to be hit hard I'm thinking (along with the router as it is on the open side of the firewall which is just a PIX 515E), in addition to my Cent OS e-commerce box.

In the "real world", often getting into the building is the easy part. Be sure you do check for rogue access points, etc. One of our most common means of entry for open ended penetration tests is social engineering. I have a dozen methods of getting a backdoor into your network that completely ignores the firewall. That might include USB drops, phishing emails, malicious code injected through XSS, or otherwise.

But, if you have no workstations, you've eliminated most of "real world" vulnerabilities from the environment and "easy win" penetration avenues, so sure, you can focus more on the perimeter but don't get stuck only focusing on the perimeter.

On the perimeter, I would suggest that risks like SQL Injection in your E-Commerce server should be of critical importance. If possible, make sure the database is only using parameterized stored queries. If you can't re-write any code, or you won't have time, then you need to know whether there is some obvious SQL Injection and prepare for it. That means ensuring that the database user that is used to perform the e-commerce query is restricted only to the minimum level of access. Make sure the database service account in the back-end is running with restricted rights (preferably a local account, especially in Windows). Ensure that only required ports (usually 80,443 only) are allowed inbound.

I always recommend that all remote-access rigs, like VPN, required two-factor authentication. I don't know if you can do that sort of thing. Password guessing attacks are dumb and brutish, but can still work. Ensure you enforce lockouts on all external interfaces.

And by all means, please don't expose management tools and consoles externally. That includes telnet, SSH, etc, as well as web-based management suites, and even SNMP. These are all bad practice to have externally visible.

There's a lot more.... but hopefully that's a start.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Dec 26, 2007
Unfortunately we have workstations. I'm sure SQL injection is going to happen, but unfortunately I haven't had time to test that stuff because I'm having such a hard time just securing the OS itself. Anything I've attempted to do has brought down the web server.

I'm going to work on trying Bastille and see if that helps with it. I need to work on SQL injection mitigation, but I don't know if I'll have time to do it.

SecurityTheatre

Aug 14, 2011
Unfortunately we have workstations. I'm sure SQL injection is going to happen, but unfortunately I haven't had time to test that stuff because I'm having such a hard time just securing the OS itself. Anything I've attempted to do has brought down the web server.

I'm going to work on trying Bastille and see if that helps with it. I need to work on SQL injection mitigation, but I don't know if I'll have time to do it.

I would suggest SQL mitigation (things like restricting the permissions of the user that the application uses for submitting queries) is paramount importance, far beyond getting Bastille running on a server.

First, do a site-survey of workstations to find out what's there. Look for open backdoors, etc. Make sure you catalog every IP on the network. Try to get port security enabled.

Then, Hit the low hanging fruit and top risks first. Things like really outdated patching and bonehead configuration of services (blank passwords, open shares, etc) and the perimeter (include the firewall, as well as looking for OWASP top-10 in webapps)... do those first.

I might also suggest blocking all egress traffic that isn't permitted. i don't know if you have to work inside a policy, but a lot of remote shell stuff doesn't work when egress (outgoing) traffic is blocked wholesale. Of course, you may have to make accommodation for a proxy server for web sites, etc, or you may not be able to do it at all, but it's an "easy win" if you can.

Good luck!

SourceAvenger

Feb 4, 2012
Thank you for this thread it is a gold mine of information for me I am competing in the CCDC as well and this should help my team have slightly more structure on the priority of the different exploits to fix. We have already done allot of our own research to try and prep for the competition but since its our first year we were kind of guessing at what the most important things to fix were. Thanks for putting some stuff in perspective. Hopefully well get to utilize this information before our competition in a few weeks! I hope you all have a great day! You made my day wonderful :).

P.S.
SecurityTheatre your information is extremly invaluable! :)

P.S.S
Btw who won the Ohio state qualifier did your team win DisgruntledVirus? If so congratz!

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2007
Thank you for this thread it is a gold mine of information for me I am competing in the CCDC as well and this should help my team have slightly more structure on the priority of the different exploits to fix. We have already done allot of our own research to try and prep for the competition but since its our first year we were kind of guessing at what the most important things to fix were. Thanks for putting some stuff in perspective. Hopefully well get to utilize this information before our competition in a few weeks! I hope you all have a great day! You made my day wonderful :).

P.S.
SecurityTheatre your information is extremly invaluable! :)

P.S.S
Btw who won the Ohio state qualifier did your team win DisgruntledVirus? If so congratz!

I'm jealous you have a few more weeks. We are doing ours this Saturday, and I'm sure we are so boned.

SourceAvenger

Feb 4, 2012
Hey man I was wandering you just competed in the Ohio CCDC. What was it like? If you don't mind could you tell me how it was I am just curious. I just had a few questions so I can kind of know what to expect.

1) What tricks did the red team use throughtout the competition to screw with you guys? Like the chattr +i one and what else?
2) Did your all's stratedgy work whatever it was and was there anything that could help us this saturday if we focus to prepare for it before then?
3) What was the kind of damage they did to your network/machines?
4) And finally what would you recommend for us do to prepare for the competition day?

P.S. Did you guys win? If so congratz glad to hear it!

SecurityTheatre

Aug 14, 2011
I'm also curious how it went.

This week, I pwnt a major Hospital. (Under contract with them, of course) :p

It again, was Social Engineering combined with poorly configured SQL and weak system hardening.

Too easy, sometimes. We had Enterprise Admin access less than an hour after getting Internal access on the network.

Dec 26, 2007
First I'll say thanks for all the info. Our team went into this for the first time, with less than a month to prepare, and not a whole lot of linux experience (along with issues on the Windows side of things). So going into this we knew it was going to be rough and that we most likely wouldn't win. We ended up coming in 4th out of 5 teams, which is about where I would have guessed we would have placed prior to the event realistically. It was a great time and I want to do it again next year.

Hey man I was wandering you just competed in the Ohio CCDC. What was it like? If you don't mind could you tell me how it was I am just curious. I just had a few questions so I can kind of know what to expect.

1) What tricks did the red team use throughtout the competition to screw with you guys? Like the chattr +i one and what else?
2) Did your all's stratedgy work whatever it was and was there anything that could help us this saturday if we focus to prepare for it before then?
3) What was the kind of damage they did to your network/machines?
4) And finally what would you recommend for us do to prepare for the competition day?

P.S. Did you guys win? If so congratz glad to hear it!

So we organized our team into the team lead (who handled injects), and one person on each device (some on the windows side took 2). One person per device seemed to work well, but don't do a designated person for injects as it's a waste of a person. Just have one person handle that (somebody who doesn't do a ton else like Debian email or something) and watch them. They are one of the largest points portion of the competition. The way it works is basically you get assigned a task (install this program or upgrade this service or something like that), and have a time limit to complete it. These are worth pretty big points, and upon completion will get another inject most likely building upon the first one.

The red team stated after that one of the biggest issues was poor firewall/router rules. These need to be rock solid on inbound and outbound traffic. One issue we had from this was that the router/firewall were blocking legit traffic from inside. For example I couldn't update software for an inject for an hour on a 90 minute deadline. I managed to get it up, but was down to the wire. These rules are CRITICAL to the defense of the network and ability to do what the injects ask. You will get bogged down with injects, so prioritize and stay on top of them.

One thing the red team did, and perhaps SecurityTheatre can elaborate, is in the first hour or so they basically installed backdoors on the systems that would scan the system for open ports and then send out packets to the red team that these ports are used so they could connect to them. They didn't seem too concerned with password hacking/cracking, however they will compromise these. Do not use easy passwords. Create a password list for each machine and what passwords are used for what. These should be easy to type (not extremely long), highly complex, and easy for the primary "owner" of the system to type.

Another big issue we had was keeping services up. Out of the 7 or so monitored, we could only ever get a max of 4 services up and quite often only one or two were up if any at all. The web server for the last few hours was "flapping" and going on and off for a while and I don't know why. They brought down my FTP server about 3 hours in (after fighting back and forth with them for a bit), and I could never find out what they did or how to bring it back up as I was too busy with injects. It might be worthwhile to have two people on the web server. One to handle injects, one to handle the attacks and fixing things.

Also, our server 2k8 system was our AD controller and we had issues with it from the start. The red team didn't really need to even do anything as it was pretty well screwed from the start. The competition looks for services to be up, and the red team just tries to bring them down. They don't really get on to the network and try to gain control over the servers per se, but they will do things to allow them to easily regain access to systems if you fix the hole that was there initially.

I'm sure there is a lot more, but those are the main points that I got from it.

I'm also curious how it went.

This week, I pwnt a major Hospital. (Under contract with them, of course) :p

It again, was Social Engineering combined with poorly configured SQL and weak system hardening.

Too easy, sometimes. We had Enterprise Admin access less than an hour after getting Internal access on the network.

Nice. I would love to sit in on the "red team" side of things to see how these attacks work. That is one thing the CIS program at my school sorely lacks is any kind of real cyber security/defense program. They should create a cyber attack program (minor or major or subset of the CIS program) that gives you the experience on the "bad" side of things so you know how to protect as a "good" guy. I can't protect against what I don't know about, and having a "cyber war college" would be great for this (group up in teams and have mock competitions where you are attacking and defending against other teams).

Luckily I don't think social engineering is too large of a compenent of this competition, but it is a part (for example "reset user x password!", get credentials, etc before doing anything like that).

Once again thank you for all your help, you helped us from placing in 5th I'm sure :D

Dec 26, 2007
So, we are talking tonight as our group about the competition. And found out some stuff that might be important if you want to win. The winning team did NOT harden anything (per the judges), and instead solely focused on keeping services up. At this level the competition was not about hardening, and instead was about keeping services up not hardening.

If you want to win, injects were low point value compared to keeping services up.

SecurityTheatre

Aug 14, 2011
One person per device seemed to work well, but don't do a designated person for injects as it's a waste of a person. Just have one person handle that (somebody who doesn't do a ton else like Debian email or something) and watch them. They are one of the largest points portion of the competition. The way it works is basically you get assigned a task (install this program or upgrade this service or something like that), and have a time limit to complete it. These are worth pretty big points, and upon completion will get another inject most likely building upon the first one.

Interesting scenario. I had no idea... :)

The red team stated after that one of the biggest issues was poor firewall/router rules. These need to be rock solid on inbound and outbound traffic. One issue we had from this was that the router/firewall were blocking legit traffic from inside.

In my opinion, the most secure organizations could not possibly update a server directly from the box. That's bad practice for bastion services that are likely to be attacked. A server should only be able to communicate on critical ports and environments I see in the real world where this is the case tend to be the most secure. You should not lose points for that, period (in my opinion). I even recommended previously that egress filtering should be sharply restricted. I am an advocate of any sane security practice employing change windows where firewalls are opened temporarily on a weekly (or less often) basis for doing updates and then closed again. A Web server should be able to make NO outbound connections that were not initiated by an external host. Period. That is best practice.

One thing the red team did, and perhaps SecurityTheatre can elaborate, is in the first hour or so they basically installed backdoors on the systems that would scan the system for open ports and then send out packets to the red team that these ports are used so they could connect to them.

It sounds like these are pretty standard revere-TCP backdoors, but HOW did they install them? Properly configured and hardened services on the back side of a reasonable firewall are NOT trivial to just drop shell code on. This is a huge gap in the explanation, do you have any more information? This is where the compromise happened. Once a box is compromised, the industry standard practice is to drop the box completely, backup the data and restore it from a known clean image. Teaching the "cleaning" of a critical server system is a misnomer that encourages bad security practices.

They didn't seem too concerned with password hacking/cracking, however they will compromise these. Do not use easy passwords.

In a real enterprise, passwords and password hashes are a fundamental security issue and are possibly THE fundamental security issue. It's fair to point out that in many cases, one doesn't need to crack the passwords in many types of systems, and that having root/admin access to the box itself is enough to compromise many of its neighbours.

Another big issue we had was keeping services up. Out of the 7 or so monitored, we could only ever get a max of 4 services up and quite often only one or two were up if any at all. The web server for the last few hours was "flapping" and going on and off for a while and I don't know why. They brought down my FTP server about 3 hours in (after fighting back and forth with them for a bit), and I could never find out what they did or how to bring it back up as I was too busy with injects.

So they were actively running denial of service attacks against services? Did you have any sort of IDS/IPS engaged? In a real-world scenario, DoS attacks are often met by a blunt force, restricting incoming traffic in bulk. It's often pretty easy to work out where the traffic is coming from by looking at all incoming traffic, splitting it in half and just blocking it outright, and then working your way forward until you determine exact IPs. If they are known attacks, a modern IPS will do this for you. I presume they didn't have some really unique 0-day code for this type of thing.

The competition looks for services to be up, and the red team just tries to bring them down. They don't really get on to the network and try to gain control over the servers per se, but they will do things to allow them to easily regain access to systems if you fix the hole that was there initially.

That's a boring test. :) The DoS attacks are neat and all, but are self-limiting and are just a matter of sheer manpower in identifying and combating. In a real-world environment, DoS attacks are seldom ranked more than a "Medium" on our severity rating scale, with "High" and "Critical" reserved for remote compromise and massive information disclosure.

I'm sure there is a lot more, but those are the main points that I got from it.

Once again thank you for all your help, you helped us from placing in 5th I'm sure :D

Meh, it sounds like my advice was targeted toward a different aim than the scoring of this competition. Keeping services up at all costs is actually slightly contrary to "real security", if you ask me. From a strategic standpoint, a company needs to be prepared to take a bit of short term pain and drop their entire link for a few hours if they are under targeted attack to prevent a much more damaging information disclosure in the long term, especially if there is evidence of a backdoor being installed on any internal services.

Frankly, Sony eventually did the right thing back in the spring when they finally got their head around the idea of pulling the entire network offline and re-architecting it from scratch in a new data center. The battle of keeping services up and fighting with attackers is just not a viable approach, especially as they gradually worm further into the system and threaten the compromise the identity and financials of millions of people.

Better luck next year, eh? :) Congrats on 4th anyway, fwiw.

Last edited:

Flammable

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2007
question, if I want to learn all of this...where do i start? I'm thinking about switching my major to comp sci but i want to deal with the networking/security part more than the programming aspect.

Dec 26, 2007
question, if I want to learn all of this...where do i start? I'm thinking about switching my major to comp sci but i want to deal with the networking/security part more than the programming aspect.

Comp sci is more programming generally. Look for a CIS degree (computer information systems) as those usually deal with networking. Security AFAIK doesn't have a specific degree, but a CIS degree can work for it. I would spend time playing around in Linux, Windows, and on networking gear to see what options are out there from an attack perspective and how to mitigate those.

SourceAvenger

Feb 4, 2012
We lost the Indiana CCDC we learned allot though. Basically our Cisco guy backed out the night before due to work reasons and so did one of our top linux guys. We had 2 people working on the cisco most the day learning from almost no experience and spent a few hours in downtime due to it. Our only machine that was hacked was out centos machine and thats cause I wasn't in charge of securing it someone else on the team was who had limited linux experience. Our windows machines never got hacked, trust me I know I had a "allmost" fullproof plan to be able to secure the windows machines and it worked on them all even after many red team attempts. The linux machines were another matter though we had bind-dns, smtp, and pop3 up most the competition except the downtime due to cisco problems. We actually got recognized by our state director in front of all the teams for our relaxed and calm attitude when we had everything going wrong. It was a great learning experience and well worth the time and money. I will be competing next year and we will win this time!