Anybody else unimpressed with new midrange Nvidia GPUs, and much higher MSRP?

Page 35 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
Guys, I know this may be shocking because you can't recommend an AMD card, but maybe, just maybe... Timmah! is interested in CUDA performance because, well, he needs a new card for CUDA!

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=37577165#post37577165

:rolleyes:

Hahaha, good catch.

But overall, i think it makes no sense to bench Nvidia cards for OpenCL - if Nvidia does not give a **** about supporting it properly anyway, since they have CUDA. You just find out, as per usual, that AMD cards are bossing the bench....but then very likely your GPGPU app will be CUDA based, so they are sadly not an option anyway.... so what was the point.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Hahaha, good catch.

But overall, i think it makes no sense to bench Nvidia cards for OpenCL - if Nvidia does not give a **** about supporting it properly anyway, since they have CUDA. You just find out, as per usual, that AMD cards are bossing the bench....but then very likely your GPGPU app will be CUDA based, so they are sadly not an option anyway.... so what was the point.

For pure compute, no its not worth benching them for it.

However, there are games which use OpenCL for their compute, so in these cases it is handy to see the difference between them.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
For pure compute, no its not worth benching them for it.

However, there are games which use OpenCL for their compute, so in these cases it is handy to see the difference between them.

Really? Did not know that.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Not trying to go off topic, but why is the Fury X faster than the Pro Duo?

Video-Composition-GTX-1080-OpenCL.png

And that Kung Fury name is hilarious! I approve! :thumbsup:

Ocean-Surface-Simulation-GTX-1080-OPENCL.png