Anybody else surprised how quickly Left 4 Dead Co-Op gets old?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Originally posted by: zerocool84
Yea sorry me and my real life friends like to go to bars and pick up on women, not play L4D all day and night.

:cookie:

minmaster

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2006
yea i agree with this, i'm also wondering when will they let us play the other campaigns on versus? why wasn't it available from the very beginning?

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Infohawk
Originally posted by: TridenTBoy3555
I got bored with this game after about 100 hours of play time. :( Versus is about the only thing that will ever keep you going.

I don't play it anymore. I shelved it like TF2. (Played TF2 a lot and then was like, "Boring...")

People need realistic attitudes about the games they buy. I don't know how much L4D is but TF2 is pretty entertaining for $30. Think about how a movie lasts two hours and costs ten bucks yet people still go to see them. A bad game is one that doesn't keep my interest for more than 10 hours. A good one does.

agree, when I think of the best single player games I have played, they don't last nearly 100 hours. I'm talking about the FF series(for me) and other RPG games.

100 hours is a ton of time. I love the game, got it for christmas, but only have like 15-20 hours in it I would guess. Just don't have the time to play games all day like I used to.

But I do agree, if you have friends playing the game rather than random servers, it is 100x better.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
The co-op definately gets old fast. It's 4 levels, one hour each with the exact same formula. The only challenge is on Expert, and that's crazy hard.

Versus is where the funs at, but if you think coop gets old quick, versus is practically 1 level only (I rarely join the forest one). It's usually the 'No Mercy' campaign, but the shit that goes down sometimes is just hillarious.

Honestly, it's the voice-chat and people that make Left4Dead fun. Unfortunately, there are also a bunch of pricks out there too.

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
Surprised how many of you are "bored". Agreed the co-op mode can get old, but versus mode is awesome. I've been playing this for 3 weeks straight for 2+hrs almost every night (and I'm still only average at best). Yes, I would like to see more maps just like everyone but I'm sure that will be soon. The one thing that's frustrating is getting disconnected in mid game, especially after you've been playing for 20 mins or are halfway thru a campaign, and you can't rejoin the same server. Seems like it's always when you have a good team too...

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Imp
Unfortunately, there are also a bunch of pricks out there too.
Well, it's easy enough to vote kick them. A couple of nights ago, we had this one kid who just didn't understand the concept of teamwork/co-op and he'd constantly run off to do this his own thing. Took 2 secs after kick vote was initiated before he was kicked out by the rest of us. Same with people who intentionally teamkill or whine/boss people around.

I think the vast majority of people out there are ok though, and enjoy the co-op gameplay. They'll thank you for healing them, save you quickly from special infected, etc.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: videogames101
You guys obviously don't have enough friends to make L4D fun, because I've been addicted since the demo.

Having good people to play with is the key. The game is really fun on expert level, but I have not been able to beat it yet. I usually get stuck with people who shoot you in the back or run in front of you when you are shooting. Then there are the ones who hog health packs... plus a host of other issues which you can compensate for on advanced level.

The game could definetly use some more maps though.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Yeah all games get old eventually, play versus with friends now and again. Im swapping between CoH and L4D currently, i got bored of CoH months ago but im back into it again, gamereplays channel is just as batshit crazy as every, its still just as satisfying squashing newbs on the schdelt :)

Just give L4D a break for some time and come back when some new stuffs out or when you get bored with whatever you replaced it with.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: brencat
Surprised how many of you are "bored". Agreed the co-op mode can get old, but versus mode is awesome. I've been playing this for 3 weeks straight for 2+hrs almost every night (and I'm still only average at best). Yes, I would like to see more maps just like everyone but I'm sure that will be soon. The one thing that's frustrating is getting disconnected in mid game, especially after you've been playing for 20 mins or are halfway thru a campaign, and you can't rejoin the same server. Seems like it's always when you have a good team too...

I played it for a couple weeks as well when it came out. It is a great game but there is not enough content to keep people into the game. It's the same thing over and over. Give it a little longer and you'll see where we're coming from.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
You guys obviously don't have enough friends to make L4D fun, because I've been addicted since the demo.

Yea sorry me and my real life friends like to go to bars and pick up on women, not play L4D all day and night.

Well there's your problem!

And I'm not even kidding, is the sad part.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
L4D is doomed unless valve does something about the god awful joining mechanism. Boy, did the ever screw the pooch on that one.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: coreyb
tf2 > lfd

mmmmmmmmmm........maybe. For people like me who do nothing but get their asses kicked in tf2, L4D was a very nice alternative.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
L4D has 4 maps?

Nacht de Untoten only has one building and I've been having a blast with it since W@W came out.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: coreyb
tf2 > lfd

Yeah, it took many months to get sick of TF2. L4D lasted less than one :(

Although it is still a blast to play at a small LAN. Co-op campaigns with the "endless stream of zombies" server tweaks and increased dismemberment... Zombie bits flying everywhere :thumbsup:

Originally posted by: rudder

Having good people to play with is the key. The game is really fun on expert level, but I have not been able to beat it yet. I usually get stuck with people who shoot you in the back or run in front of you when you are shooting. Then there are the ones who hog health packs... plus a host of other issues which you can compensate for on advanced level.

The game could definetly use some more maps though.

Yeah, I played through a couple campaigns on expert with some friends a couple weeks ago. On the last level of each campaign, the mid-level tank spawn would kill or incapacitate three of the four players, and then the last player would get smoker'd or smoker/hunter'd (by the Director). This happened (I shit you not) five times in a row on both Dead Air and No Mercy before we all rage quit.

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005

You have no idea how lame that sounds do you?

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
yeah, L4D was an amazingly well done game, but the lack of levels and variety in multiplayer game play is killer to it, and it makes me cry every day

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
The most common complaints come from those who don't have the friends to share the experience with.

L4D is one of the most social games ever, if you don't go out of your way to mix it up with strangers (if you don't already have enough real life friends who are into the game - I know I didn't) you're not going to have a good time for that long. Its that simple.

How to have fun in L4D:
1. Get a mic
2. Use the mic
3. Play selflessly
4. Make friends
5. Play with those new friends
6. Play Vs. - even with only two campaigns the experiences can be quite unique
7. Challenge yourself - Expert on campaign mode is the only way to go if you've already beaten it on Normal (Advanced just isn't hard enough)

GenHoth

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2007
I like playing advanced to relax, then when I really want to PLAY the game, expert all the way!

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles
The most common complaints come from those who don't have the friends to share the experience with.

L4D is one of the most social games ever, if you don't go out of your way to mix it up with strangers (if you don't already have enough real life friends who are into the game - I know I didn't) you're not going to have a good time for that long. Its that simple.

How to have fun in L4D:
1. Get a mic
2. Use the mic
3. Play selflessly
4. Make friends
5. Play with those new friends
6. Play Vs. - even with only two campaigns the experiences can be quite unique
7. Challenge yourself - Expert on campaign mode is the only way to go if you've already beaten it on Normal (Advanced just isn't hard enough)

What if you beat all the campaigns on expert, in your first try? :p I was like, "Really... this easy?"

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007

Make sure you don't pick up the clap, playa.

Yea, L4D Is a great game, but definitely has gotten boring for me and my friends after maybe 60-80 hours of play. OH, and also because we spend more time boning models than playing together in a co-operative, semi-competitive manner.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
130 hours in this game as of today :D

As much as i wish they'd add more campaigns/levels, etc, it's still not getting old.

I love how many great people i've "met" & play with now.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
I haven't played for a month or possibly two now. The game REALLY needs to get opened up to new maps. Also there needs to be a game mode where good guys & bad guys can go head to head like in TF2.

Sacraster

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: HeXploiT
I haven't played for a month or possibly two now. The game REALLY needs to get opened up to new maps. Also there needs to be a game mode where good guys & bad guys can go head to head like in TF2.

huh? game mode for go head to head? There is versus mode