Anybody done an Alaskan cruise? Experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I did the east coast last year so I'm going to hit up the west coast next year. Thinking of doing an Alaskan cruise. I've been on three cruises before, but all in the Caribbean.

Anyone else done it? What do you recommend? What time of year did you go? What cruise line did you go on?

I'm hoping to find a more adult oriented (or adults only) sailing. I've looked at a few things Princess and Celebrity is offering. I'm skipping out on Holland America since it's supposedly mostly old people. I also want to sail out of Vancouver or Victoria so I don't have to fly internationally.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
From what I've heard, the scenery is the biggest attraction of an Alaskan cruise - I haven't done one myself, but they're supposed to be better than in the Caribbean. (I've done 2 or 3 of these myself)

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
i went to juneau, ketchikan and skagway (no idea on spelling) last summer from vancouver.

it was very nice and warm. i hated the 1st day since i was a tard and went out in a big coat while everyone else had t-shirts etc.

still lovely places to visit though and i ended up doing a coin treasure hunt :eek:

i went on holland america and it was a mix of people. not just old geezers

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
I went this July and it was great. I went on Princess and the ship was really nice. I would definitely recommend it.

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
I did one that leave out of Seattle and went to juneau, Ketchikan, etc, the typical tour trap ports. I was told to truly experience an Alaskan cruise you have to take the one leaving out of Anchorage so you are further up north.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I did one that leave out of Seattle and went to juneau, Ketchikan, etc, the typical tour trap ports. I was told to truly experience an Alaskan cruise you have to take the one leaving out of Anchorage so you are further up north.

I've seen those. I'm trying to keep the flight domestic though. Saves money and hassle at security. Though the tours into the Alaskan interior do look fantastic. Expecially the train one. I did see a cruise tour though that takes you through the BC interior via train from Jasper. Vancouver is a dump but most of BC is gorgeous.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Drove the Alcan Highway once. Talk about some scenery. It can be rough on a vehicle.

Drove from Ft Richardson (Anchorage) Alaska through Canada and down to Ft Leonard Wood, MO. I lived up in Alaska for about 18 months.

There are a lot of different things you can see in Alaska. Dog sled racing, Digging for clams, Halibut junkets, Whale watching, Skiing, visiting a glacier, Mt Denali State Park, Big Horn Sheep, hunting for bears on Kodiak Island, Watching the Eagles, waking up to moose going through a crowded neighborhood.

When it is open there is a train you can ship a car on railroad up to Alaska. Sometimes landslides close down the rail traffic.

On a clear day you can see My Denali from Anchorage. Helps if you are on high ground.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.