Any word on AMD Thuban X6 AM2+/AM3 compatibility?

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Has there been any concrete info on this?
The initial reporting on the CPU (in September) stated it would be backwards compatible with AM2+ but on a recent PR slide:
roadmap.png

they mention only DDR3.

Last edited:

jvroig

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
I believe that meant AM3 only. Perhaps shooting for an AM2+ compatibility made it impossible to meet other goals (power/performance?) for Thuban.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
I believe that meant AM3 only. Perhaps shooting for an AM2+ compatibility made it impossible to meet other goals (power/performance?) for Thuban.

seeing as the opteron version of thuban has ddr2 support, it might just be in the chart with ddr3, because its not a "platform" and they probably intend to have it be only supported on am3 boards (it is high end after all).

i'm sure it has a ddr2 controller on it, and if board manufacturers want to support it they can.

the X48 intel chipset, has no ddr2 support according to intel, but it clearly does as you can get boarsd with ddr2 .. etc.

jvroig

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
Well, that's certainly great news if it does keep the AM2+ compatibility. I'm not really sure about it either way, just based it on the chart. I'm glad to be wrong in this case.