Any winsysadmins here had trouble with Windows updates in august?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
My e-mail service decided to start going zombie every night during an automated log-cycling-cleanup script that I've been running (unaltered) for years (the script shuts the service down and archives the logs from it, and the service consistently went zombie and wouldn't be killed by any means except rebooting the server). I also found that RPD responsiveness over the LAN went to pot around the same time, yet I checked all the obvious possibilities like a wonky SSD or excessive resource usage to no avail. Nothing worthy of note in the event logs.

I then decided to take an axe to all the Windows updates that I had installed in the last couple of weeks, rebooted and things seem to be working properly again (though I'll know for sure when the log cycling script is triggered tonight).

In this case it's Windows Server 2008 R1. Over the next few days, assuming that the symptoms have definitely abated, I'll then have the wonderful task of installing about 25 updates one-by-one and rebooting in between to find out which one took a dump on my server.