Any way to use Steam on XP/Vista?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I know they sent out repeated e-mails and notifications about refusing to support the older operating systems last year and it appears around February they implemented the patch that blocks XP and Vista from using Steam, so does anyone know if there's a way to circumvent this and just play offline? My older PC that my fiance uses is my old Vista build that still works great for co-op games we play, but since it uses Vista, she can't use Steam anymore. I'm not even sure if I could install an older version of steam with loading scripts to force the automatic updates off since reinstalling the games would likely cause issues on an older version of the client.

If all else fails, I was planning on building a new setup soon (mainly when Cyberpunk specs were released), but I can always get a new OS if I have to (though I'd rather not).

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Just "bite the bullet" and install Win7, or maybe Win10. Why is any system that you're not explicitly using for retro-gaming, still using an EOL and un-supported OS?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
It's overdue for a wipe, but I'm also very close to building a new machine. Once I build my new PC, I'll just be wiping my current one and handing it down to replace the Vista machine which will render that one completely obsolete. I'd rather not spend the time or money, backing up, wiping, and installing a new OS on a machine that's on its last leg. I was hoping there was a quick workaround that we could use so we could still play co-op in the meantime.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I cant get into to many details because it would be against the rules, but it is possible to crack steam. I did this and have it setup on a old Athlon system for older games, this system is not online.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
You could probably download an old build and use it offline but I wouldn't know where to get it aside from old game discs.

That, or what Rifter suggested. Might not be worth the risk if your PC is always connected to the internet though...

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You could probably download an old build and use it offline but I wouldn't know where to get it aside from old game discs.

This does not work, as you need to go online at least once before you can go into offline mode, not only that but it also forces you online about once a month to re-verify your account.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Valve should be patching out Steam from any game that has XP/Vista as a minimum requirement. They put the DRM in there so it's their problem to remove it if they choose not to support it anymore.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Valve should be patching out Steam from any game that has XP/Vista as a minimum requirement. They put the DRM in there so it's their problem to remove it if they choose not to support it anymore.

This is why i dont even feel even slightly bad for cracking it.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
They patch in support for new OS's as they are released. Why not just upgrade?

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Why not just upgrade?
If I already meet the minimum requirements for a game and it works perfectly, why should I upgrade just because Valve can't be bothered removing their DRM?

If DOS games had Steam DRM back then, there'd be no way to deploy or run them through DOSBox. That same thing has happened on XP/Vista and will soon happen on Windows 7.

If I want to run a legacy gaming box for example, Steam DRM will block the games I legally purchased and meet the requirements for.

Again, Valve caused this problem, so it's their problem to remove it.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
If I already meet the minimum requirements for a game and it works perfectly, why should I upgrade just because Valve can't be bothered removing their DRM?

If DOS games had Steam DRM back then, there'd be no way to deploy or run them through DOSBox. That same thing has happened on XP/Vista and will soon happen on Windows 7.

If I want to run a legacy gaming box for example, Steam DRM will block the games I legally purchased and meet the requirements for.

Again, Valve caused this problem, so it's their problem to remove it.
Well, you can take that attitude but they aren't likely to change it. The 'problem' is you playing the game, not Valve making sure you can play it on an old OS. Your options pretty much are a) upgrade to Win10, b) pirate the software and run it in dosbox separately, c) contact valve and convince them to change their policies regarding old OS'.

I personally consider Valve's efforts to keep old games running on new OS' a more laudable goal than perpetually supporting old OS'. You may disagree but it is what it is.