Any way to use a PC's (2.1) subwoofer with a stereo receiver/amp?

swbsam

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2007
My logitech z2300's left channel is fritzing on me (it's the jack, not the speaker) and cuts in and out. I'd like to get a simple stereo amplifier ( for example) and some bookshelf speakers for a cheapy yet not too crappy replacement, though wonder if I could some how save the subwoofer. It's a meaty sub and works fine, but I'm not sure how to bypass the internal stereo amp.

Is it possible?

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
Are you sure it's not a connection issue? Dust, loose, etc?

Getting an amp would work, but it could be annoying. You'd have an independent volume control for the speakers and the subwoofer, so you'd need to change both all the time or get them set up how you wanted and then just use the computer's volume control.

swbsam

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2007
Originally posted by: YOyoYOhowsDAjello
Are you sure it's not a connection issue? Dust, loose, etc?

Getting an amp would work, but it could be annoying. You'd have an independent volume control for the speakers and the subwoofer, so you'd need to change both all the time or get them set up how you wanted and then just use the computer's volume control.

Thanks for your reply, your feedback is always spot on!

The jack is loose on the inside of the sub - the speakers hook up to the z-2300s sub via RCA plug and the rca jack itself is shaky, and sound cuts in and out when wiggled. I'm sure it's a relatively straight forward fix if you're handy (open sub, re-solder jack), but the z-2300 is all bass/shrill highs and no mids, so I thought I'd just use this as an opportunity to upgrade without spending a lot of money. And I'm not handy :)

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001
Sounds like it might be a job for duct tape to keep the wire in a good position :p

You can re-use the sub, but it will be a pain to use it as-is, since you'll probably want to use the amp's volume control which will only vary the high level speaker wire outputs, which the Logitech will not be connected to.

If you're ok with just setting it up how you want it and always leaving it on (or dialing it in every time) and then controlling system volume through windows, then that should work.

I don't know if that amp you linked to is a good one though.

Billb2

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2005
OP, your solution is very much like getting another car because the ashtrays in you present car are full.
It's hard for me to imagine someone who can't replace an RCA jack.
Can you tie shoes and butter toast?

As for using the sub with a amp, that could be done if you bypassed the subs internal amp as you suggest, but I thought you weren't handy?
As for the amp you linked to, I'd take a pass on that. For about the same money you can pick up an '80 reciever or integrated amp that will vastly outperform the Pyle (pun intended!)

swbsam

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Billb2
OP, your solution is very much like getting another car because the ashtrays in you present car are full.
It's hard for me to imagine someone who can't replace an RCA jack.
Can you tie shoes and butter toast?

As for using the sub with a amp, that could be done if you bypassed the subs internal amp as you suggest, but I thought you weren't handy?
As for the amp you linked to, I'd take a pass on that. For about the same money you can pick up an '80 reciever or integrated amp that will vastly outperform the Pyle (pun intended!)

Well, it's not really about not being able to. I've never done it, so I'm not sure. But I've never really been happy with the z-2300s. They're nice and boomy, but the highs are so shrill and the mids non-existent. I figure this is a good opportunity to move on.

I don't want an old receiver because desk space is a bit of a premium and the pyle seems nice and compact. I'm sure their are other compact amps out there that are fairly affordable.

I think i'll just upgrade over time - I'll scrap the idea to use the logitech sub and will just get a dayton or polk. I already have decent polk bookshelf speakers so sub+amp shouldn't be all that expensive.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001
The biggest issue with the Logitech sub is getting it hooked up without a receiver unit that has a subwoofer output with bass management.

To use the Logitech subwoofer effectively, a receiver will do the job. You'd just treat the volume control on the Logitech sub like a gain control and then you could use the receiver to control the output of both the speakers and the subwoofer.

You could get a new sub, but that would only improve your situation if you got a model that accepted speaker wire inputs on it.

I don't know what a better overall plan would be...
- Get a receiver and continue using the Logitech sub
- Get a cheap amp and continue using the Logitech sub (irritating)
- Get a cheap amp and buy a sub with speaker wire input/output

I'm using a little Sonic T-amp at work and would probably end up just getting a sub with speaker wire inputs on it rather than trying to buy a receiver + sub if I was trying to augment the bass of the system while keeping the amp footprint small.

swbsam

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2007
Originally posted by: YOyoYOhowsDAjello
The biggest issue with the Logitech sub is getting it hooked up without a receiver unit that has a subwoofer output with bass management.

To use the Logitech subwoofer effectively, a receiver will do the job. You'd just treat the volume control on the Logitech sub like a gain control and then you could use the receiver to control the output of both the speakers and the subwoofer.

You could get a new sub, but that would only improve your situation if you got a model that accepted speaker wire inputs on it.

I don't know what a better overall plan would be...
- Get a receiver and continue using the Logitech sub
- Get a cheap amp and continue using the Logitech sub (irritating)
- Get a cheap amp and buy a sub with speaker wire input/output

I'm using a little Sonic T-amp at work and would probably end up just getting a sub with speaker wire inputs on it rather than trying to buy a receiver + sub if I was trying to augment the bass of the system while keeping the amp footprint small.

I think I'll just toss the logitech sub and upgrade the whole shebang. Thank you very much for your input, this thread saved me quite a bit of trial and error (and the expense associated with it). The logitech system doesn't just cut in and out, the output crackles too, so I feel it's a bit of a time bomb.