Any way to stop win 10 'photos' to stop zooming out of images?

boing

Sep 13, 2001
If I'm viewing a picture in windows photo viewer and I do almost anything to the image after zooming in on an area it'll zoom straight out to the whole picture. If I click on it, go half screen with a window or move the window edge at all it pops back out, I do a lot of photomontage work and need something that will let me stay zoomed into an area but mess about with the window size, is there any way to achieve this?

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Good question, I am not sure but I wanted to ask you, is it just me or is the Win 10 Photo program slower than paint when you open a basic photo (even small in size)?

boing

Sep 13, 2001
Glad you asked because I've built a new rendering system for myself and used a couple of very fast M2 drives and very fast RAM but when I'm opening pics in Photo viewer or scrolling through them it seems to take an age before I get a crisp image, I thought my system had an issue.

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
It's shocking that good image viewer is hard to come by...
It's not hard at all. Irfanview, GIMP, Paint.NET, Pixia, Phirerra, the list goes on and on.
Here are 35 that are free, but admittedly all are not for viewing images, many are for creating graphics or editing photos.
https://mashable.com/2007/10/27/graphics-toolbox/#8_.RK3pH5Zq6
I personally like GIMP over Photoshop as it allows me to create and run my own code inside the software and change the code of the original program as I wish, something Photoshop is very afraid to do, but I use about 12 to 15 different programs for various things at different times.

boing

Sep 13, 2001
Thanks for the recommendation, might give that a go, seems bizarre in 2018 to not be able to package an effective picture viewer with your OS though.

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
Thanks for the recommendation, might give that a go, seems bizarre in 2018 to not be able to package an effective picture viewer with your OS though.
I don't expect an OS to do everything well, and the more it tries to do the less well it does each thing. I also don't expect to do professional level editing using the on board graphics in the CPU.
An OS should just stick to creating a stable platform for other software to run dependably, not try to make all other software obsolete.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Photos app is pretty basic. It works well enough for my uses. I wouldn't try to do actual photo work with it though.

If you are trying to do some professional edits you should get professional software like Lightroom or something.

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
Photos app is pretty basic. It works well enough for my uses. I wouldn't try to do actual photo work with it though.

If you are trying to do some professional edits you should get professional software like Lightroom or something.
GIMP is a lot more powerful than Lightroom, but it requires a higher level of computer skills than Lightroom does. Lightroom is fine if you are not skilled in computer programming and customizing scripts, but it's very shallow in comparison. A professional photographer does not always have the computer skills needed to use an extremely powerful application like GIMP, but if they do, there is no comparison.