Any way to leave form/signature for USPS package?

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I have a package coming to my home tomorrow that I see was sent with delivery confirmation.

There's a good chance I won't be at the home when they attempt and I was wondering if there was any way I could leave something there that will suffice and allow them to leave the package.

Anyone know if this is possible?

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
You may be able to get one of the little beige slips they leave if you're not home in advance and sign it... not 100% though. Usually they'll just leave a slip and where you can pick it up.

mcvickj

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2001
I've tried leaving a handwritten note with signature before and it was not accepted. I had to fill out the slip that was left and then either return to the post office or wait until the next delivery attempt.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I've tried leaving a handwritten note with signature before and it was not accepted. I had to fill out the slip that was left and then either return to the post office or wait until the next delivery attempt.

Yeah that's the issue. If I miss it then the reattempt won't be till Monday, which I was hoping to avoid.

Well I'll try to stick around the house until they deliver I guess.

Damn...

LookBehindYou

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2010

This may be a YMMV situation. I've done it many times both with fedex and ups (never had to do it with usps). I've left just a handwritten note saying to leave the package at the door and I print my name and sign below it. Never had a problem before. But apparently others haven't had success.

alent1234

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2002
with apple you can pre-sign on the website. but if its stolen they won't refund your money

Feb 25, 2011
This may be a YMMV situation. I've done it many times both with fedex and ups (never had to do it with usps). I've left just a handwritten note saying to leave the package at the door and I print my name and sign below it. Never had a problem before. But apparently others haven't had success.
It depends on the shipper.

When they set up the shipment, they can require an in-person signature, just any old signature / not, or not require a signature at all.

The value of the stuff being shipped sometimes dictates that, too. (FedEx requires an in-person signature for anything over $500, iirc.)

So it varies. The little odds and ends I buy from Amazon (used books mostly) come UPS and they usually leave 'em on the doorstep, ring the bell, and scoot. Last computer I bought, I had to sign for.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Have them hold it at the local delivery center. Pick it up there

Reactions: clamum

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
Yeah that's the issue. If I miss it then the reattempt won't be till Monday, which I was hoping to avoid.

Well I'll try to stick around the house until they deliver I guess.

Damn...

Does the USPS not deliver on Saturday around your parts or something? o_O

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Usually, delivery confirmation doesn't require a signature (unless the shipper specifically requests it.....and even then, I'm not 100% certain it does).

I think you're mistaking delivery confirmation with registered or certified mail, both of which require a signature. Delivery confirmation is simply the sender's way of knowing that the mail carrier actually delivered the letter/package to the address (and doesn't necessarily mean they even handed it to you.....they may just leave it in your box).

gijoeshmoe

Jan 9, 2014
For whatever reason the USPS does not provide their release form for pre-delivery anticipation. But whatever, my mad Adobe skills plus 20 minutes of Googleing later and viola'!

Link below:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/255266148/3849.pdf

Just print it with a printer that can collate pages and or flip the page as you print each page separately and cheers!

I like sticking it to the man... no homo :D

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013

The official form has the tracking number, recipient's address, post office, and all that good stuff on it.

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013
For whatever reason the USPS does not provide their release form for pre-delivery anticipation. But whatever, my mad Adobe skills plus 20 minutes of Googleing later and viola'!

Link below:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/255266148/3849.pdf

Just print it with a printer that can collate pages and or flip the page as you print each page separately and cheers!

I like sticking it to the man... no homo :D

Awww, thread necro.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Yeah that's annoying. Like EagleKeeper said, chance the delivery method and have it sent to a local USPS office and pick it up there. I've done this before with UPS but I guess I'm not sure if USPS allows it too.