Any way to file music files by genre?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
OK, I have a decent size music collection and the folders are based on the artist. I'm using a Media Player for the Wii that can only play by folder. I can't specify to play by genre.

So, what I want to do is to have something redistribute the media I have into folders by genre.

So it's take all the songs labeled as Rock, and move them into the "Rock" folder, but would keep the rest of the folder structure in tact.

So if right now I have C:\Music\Metallica\album and c:\Music\ACDC\album
After I'd want to have C:\Music\Rock\Metallica\Album and C:\Music\Rock\ACDC\album

This way all the rock albums would be in the same place so I could more easily play the songs by just choosing the one folder.

I don't know if there's any software that can do this but if you know of something please let me know.

Or if anyone knows of a better media player for the Wii, let me know that too. :)
Thanks.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Why is that a problem? It's quick enough to drag/drop to get them in place. That's how I organize my collection. Here's my structure...

Root - rock, and unspecified
Ambient
Blues
DooWop
Jazz
Post rock

Outside of my main directory, I have another one called "special music". That has stuff I don't want to hear come up on random play; radio shows, spoken word, and other specialty pieces.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
I know I can do it by hand but I have hundreds of folders to go through and some bands have albums from multiple genres and things. Was just looking for a way to automate it somehow.

Guess I'll start dragging and dropping...

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I wouldn't get too caught up in specific genre. That's an artificial distinction people put on music. If you're uncertain, place it according to mood. I have stuff in ambient that could go under a couple different categories, but is best when I'm in the mood for "ambient". I wouldn't split bands up either. Put it in the closest category.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I know I can do it by hand but I have hundreds of folders to go through and some bands have albums from multiple genres and things. Was just looking for a way to automate it somehow.

Guess I'll start dragging and dropping...

I have over 5,000 cd`s that I just catalogued according to genre and according to the name of the song on the CD.......took me a while but finally I am finished...so I thought...lol....I found 800 more cd`s stashed away......lolol

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Well I mean when a group has a Christmas Album or something...

I can just use my WMP to sort the music out since that can at least show me the current genre and then I can move things around.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Well I mean when a group has a Christmas Album or something...

I can just use my WMP to sort the music out since that can at least show me the current genre and then I can move things around.

Christmas goes in "special music'. I have a directory called "christmas time" :^D

Status
Not open for further replies.