Any way to automatically mirror or sync two external USB HDDs?

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
So I want a way to back up my data but I want the backup to be very light and portable and also fault-tolerant of a drive failure. In another thread I was going to drop $630 for a RAID enclosure with four 2.5" drives.

Would it be possibly to do this via software and two external USB drives?

Get two USB 3.0 enclosures, install a 2.5" drive in each, and plug them in simultaneously into two USB ports. And when I drag data, delete data, or modify data on one drive, the software automatically syncs all the changes on the other drive.

This would be the lightest, most portable method. And no need for a power brick to power a 4-bay enclosure.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
What OS are you using ?
On linux, you can use a shell script / cron job and just use rsync to do what you want.
That is, sync the contents of one HD onto other HD's, and you would only sync the stuff you want, not everything (though, you can do everything as well).

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I've used this in the past with fairly good results:

https://allwaysync.com/

The big limitation vs what you are trying to accomplish is that it's a manual process - it's not happening on the fly.

Free to try so you can see if it works for you.

Viper GTS

milee

Jun 7, 2013
If you upgrade to Windows 8/8.1 you can create a storage pool of the two external drives and a mirrored space off it.