Question Any W10 kb's I should skip when doing an update?

Mac29

Jun 2, 2010
Haven't updated my W10 Pro pc since about March. Switched to a laptop. Any kb's I should not install? Anyone know of known problems - for the many, not the few - I should be aware of in the latest update?

Thank you.

Mac

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I have mine blocked in windows and by DNS through pihole. I see nightmare situations posted all the time about bad updates and just manually check things based on patch articles once a month. WU tends to just pisses me off more than it helps by installing old drivers that I have to go back and upgrade when it's done making a mess of things.

Mac29

Jun 2, 2010
Thanks Tech Junky. I'm checking out pi-hole right now.Read many posts showing eventually MS over-rides your W10 update settings.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I've tried most of the tricks posted out there to lockdown updates and the most effective has been blocking them by DNS. With pihole it's a simple regex blocking MSFT and done. You could use the hosts file though but, it's slot more lines to add vs using a regex / wildcard. Pihole will run on just about anything as it's just an app.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
This site has some update reliability info. He has a defcon number indicating if it's safe to update or not. There will also be an article with more specific info on individual patches.