Any victims of Wanacry here?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
What do you mean eh? It's an *extremely* simple concept. If you have any assumption that the NSA is the only that was likely to know of the exploit, that would be very misguided. The fact is that the exploit was known for some time, and had the possibility of being used by many groups, not just the NSA. That being done is negligence to the tech community. Wannacry's author's job was to write wannacry. It doesn't remove the issues it causes.
You are only speculating about this particular exploit, I see no facts here.
If this was out in the wild, and was known for some time, then why wasn't there a patch for this before the NSA told MS to patch up (MS17-010)? Why didn't the malware hunters disclose this?

XSoldier77X

May 23, 2017
Have to got the patch installed on your systems already? And how many of you are affected from this? any other tips to prevent it?

All I got was a BSoD. A friend got WannaCry on his. And PliotronX, thanks for the uber description. I remember reading some post where the guy said pay them if it's that important and that they're known to fulfill their end of bargain. Those words kinda opened a whole new dimension for discussion on whether it's ethical or not but in case of hospitals where delays can certainly spell the difference between life and death, I could totally relate to it.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Speaking of this, I had to install windows 10 for someone. Anything I should do to protect from this? I think I have to disable SMB 1 or something?

Feb 25, 2011
Speaking of this, I had to install windows 10 for someone. Anything I should do to protect from this? I think I have to disable SMB 1 or something?
Just make sure patches are current. It was fixed back in March.

Although disabling File Sharing in general probably isn't a bad idea, if you don't need it.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Just make sure patches are current. It was fixed back in March.

Although disabling File Sharing in general probably isn't a bad idea, if you don't need it.

Good to know, so just regular updates then? Figured it was maybe a separate patch and that they had not actually put it in WU yet or something.

Sean Kyle

Aug 22, 2016
I am lucky i got away with the wanna cry ransom ware. Another reason might be i am using a full proof security system that includes windows 10 an Anti-virus like kasper and a VPN ivacy to stay secure.
It had nothing to do with anything except for the security patch!

Reactions: bigboxes

Sean Kyle

Aug 22, 2016
  1. Upgrade your system to Windows 10
  2. Update your Windows 10 to install the new security update
  3. Install the patch Microsoft has released for other Windows (including Windows XP)
  4. If you’re now having trust issues with Windows, switch to any of the popular Linux distributions like Mint, Ubuntu or Fedora.
  5. Store your data over cloud so even if it does get compromised, you can always recover your data from the cloud and feel good about saying, “We don’t negotiate with hackers.”
  6. Don’t fall for free encrypting tools like WannaEncrypt if they come out tomorrow. They could just be another trick from the same perpetrators.
This is what i found on the web
Exactly!

PeterRoss

May 31, 2017
Was surfing through older posts and I saw this. Felt compelled to provide my input. There are unfortunately no decryptors for this and probably won't be there for quite a while. I have seen people posting fake information that there are, avoid it. There are new vulnerabilities constantly exploited and new versions of this.

When people say update your Windows, for the n-th million time I will agree to the people and say that as well, don't lay off the update. Sure your work might get interrupted for 15-20 mins, but the damage of not doing that is far worse.

Common sense is your best bet, avoid emails that might be slightly suspicious, especially spam emails, avoid shady files, and you should be good to go.