Any vets from the first Gulf War in here?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

(Actual Vetrans 1990 - 1991only please) Any health problems?

• No problems and no or minimal exposure to depleted uranium

• No problems and certain exposure to DU targets

• Yes, problems but no known exposure

• Yes, problems and certain exposure to DU targets

• I tried to join but I can't read :(

Results are only viewable after voting.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
The Navy has been using DU rounds in the Phalanx systems for at least 30 years and I've never heard of anyone that contracted cancer from handling the rounds or working in close proximity to the rounds or Phalanx guns.

For those who aren't familiar with the Phalanx system, it's used the shoot down missiles before they reach the ship. They can also take down jets.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
How does any of this refute my original statement. You don't win a war by killing the enemy after the war is over.

War is not about the victory, you tell the workers this only to bring out patriotism so they die for your cause. It is about the elites getting the results that benefit them after.

It's been like this since the first caveman bashed someone over the head with a bone and didnt kill him. Just took the food he wanted and put the loser to work hunting more for him.

If you break the dudes skull for life, who cares? Less chance of him trying it again and he will be more passive. (thus weakened)

You have no long term strategic thinking comrade. The inherent flaw that always dooms the reactionary cause.

Last edited:

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
every lying sack in here pretends to be part of some army. they hope that it will give them credebility when they spew their hate. just look at all of them and you will know.

That isn't fair. I had my hate before I ever joined the military. Joining the military just added it to my list of things I hate.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
The Navy has been using DU rounds in the Phalanx systems for at least 30 years and I've never heard of anyone that contracted cancer from handling the rounds or working in close proximity to the rounds or Phalanx guns.

For those who aren't familiar with the Phalanx system, it's used the shoot down missiles before they reach the ship. They can also take down jets.

I know of someone who served on the USS Fife, they and other of our Seamen have a long running battle with the US Government about exactly this from the Gulf War era.

The US Government admitting they f-ed up is not exactly good proof of somethings non existence. I believe sooner or later these vets will be vindicated for their sacrifice. I just hope we learn from our mistakes.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
I know of someone who served on the USS Fife, they and other of our Seamen have a long running battle with the US Government about exactly this from the Gulf War era.

The US Government admitting they f-ed up is not exactly good proof of somethings non existence. I believe sooner or later these vets will be vindicated for their sacrifice. I just hope we learn from our mistakes.

DU was in use well before the Gulf War. There were service personnel exposed to chemicals in Iraq but not those onboard ships in the Persian Gulf or Indian Ocean.

Last edited:

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
DU was in use well before the Gulf War. There were service personnel exposed to chemicals in Iraq but not those onboard ships in the Persian Gulf or Indian Ocean.

Once again, DU is not a chemical. Its nuclear waste. -Just sayin.

MrColin

Platinum Member
May 21, 2003

Thanks for sharing your experience. From what I've been able to gather those systems use jacketed rounds to protect the barrels, similar to those of the A-10's weapon. It seems to me the more serious danger comes from proximity to the targets and the airborn particles/dust getting into the lungs and bloodstream that way than from proximity to the ammo.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
You know, there are ways to destroy armored vehicles without poisoning the environment

Whaaaat? How the hell do you set a tank on fire without it spewing all kinds of nasty ass fumes and toxic smoke? DU is hardly the only nasty stuff that's involved with exploding military vehicles.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
DU is not particularly radioactive. I'd happily sleep with a brick of it in my bed. What I would NOT want to do is inhale dust from the stuff since it's a nasty, toxic heavy metal. The idea that simply being around DU rounds will make you ill is laughable though.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
You know, there are ways to destroy armored vehicles without poisoning the environment and victimizing the innocent people who have to live there long after hostilities come to an end.

I could be wrong but I am not aware of any other way to destroy vehicles as effectively as DU. I think this would be an interesting choice for the troops:
"Ok, you can use this and have a tiny chance of dying later in life or you can not use this and have a much greater chance of dying tomorrow."

I would imagine that a host of other potentially toxic or poisonous chemicals are released by exploding tanks/burning shit on the battlefield. Why do we let our troops/enemy troops use anything plastic?! It can be toxic if burned!

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
You know, there are ways to destroy armored vehicles without poisoning the environment and victimizing the innocent people who have to live there long after hostilities come to an end.

Since that is the case, why does the U.S. federal government Mafia still insist on using poisonous munitions?

Flower power works wonders:whiste:

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Thanks for sharing your experience. From what I've been able to gather those systems use jacketed rounds to protect the barrels, similar to those of the A-10's weapon. It seems to me the more serious danger comes from proximity to the targets and the airborn particles/dust getting into the lungs and bloodstream that way than from proximity to the ammo.

This may be true but proximity to a target has many more acute symptoms other than cancer.

Just sayin.....

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Don't think so? Think again. The money in war nowadays is in the cleanup and rebuilding. Why do you think old Cheney there was pushing for the war?

Capitalism is not about destroying markets, it is about conquering (and creating) new markets. Be it a lucrative cancer treating industry, all the better for drug companies etc.

Also the nuke industry gets to sell more radiation to hospitals to treat the cancers from their radiation.

Capitalism rocks. Capitalism + warfare = how the top 1% got to where they are for generations.

You are quite naive about how the real world works I must say. Economic warfare is literally the warfare of the 21st century. Always has been.

Romans would salt a conquered lands farmland after the legions moved through.

This is elementary warfare 101. Pick up Sun Tzu's "art of warfare" sometime.

Absolutely false.

Protip: don't accuse others of being naive in the same breath you repeat one of the more hilarious myths from ancient times. Congrats, you've bought into one of the oldest rumors there is!

There is substantial doubt the Romans even did that to Carthage, let alone vague "farmlands" across Europe. If you really believe that then you have absolutely no business speaking down to others about warfare or capitalism, because the realities of both of those in regards to "salting the land" seem to elude you.

Last edited:

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
The actual level of acute and Chronic toxicity of DU is also a point of medical controversy. Several studies using cultured cells and laboratory rodents suggest the possibility of leukemogenic, genetic, reproductive, and neurological effects from chronic exposure.[5] A 2005 epidemiology review concluded: "In aggregate the human epidemiological evidence is consistent with increased risk of birth defects in offspring of persons exposed to DU."[10] However, the World Health Organization, the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations which is responsible for setting health research norms and standards, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends, states that no risk of reproductive, developmental, or carcinogenic effects have been reported in humans due to DU exposure.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depleted_uranium_ammunition

The WHO has no problem with it.