Any vets from the first Gulf War in here?

(Actual Vetrans 1990 - 1991only please) Any health problems?

• No problems and no or minimal exposure to depleted uranium

• No problems and certain exposure to DU targets

• Yes, problems but no known exposure

• Yes, problems and certain exposure to DU targets

• I tried to join but I can't read :(

Results are only viewable after voting.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Correlation does not imply causation.

Thanks to the vets though!

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
DU is nasty shit and its a crime we use that stuff. its blatant chemcial warfare.

<<50th SPS Hahn AB Delta Flight. first Air Force Cops on the ground in Operation Desert Shield/Storm.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
every lying sack in here pretends to be part of some army. they hope that it will give them credebility when they spew their hate. just look at all of them and you will know.

MrColin

Platinum Member
May 21, 2003
Here's another Anandtech far left of center poster gloating about dead and injured American soldiers. Nothing new, barely worth the comment.

You're projecting.

I'm asking because I want to know if the claims made by the guy in the video are legit.

MrColin

Platinum Member
May 21, 2003
DU is nasty shit and its a crime we use that stuff. its blatant chemcial warfare.

<<50th SPS Hahn AB Delta Flight. first Air Force Cops on the ground in Operation Desert Shield/Storm.

Glad you're back buddy thanks.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Placed on standby from the USAF Reserves - was never fully activated to support the USMC

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
I'm asking because I want to know if the claims made by the guy in the video are legit.

Then try asking in a more pertinent forum next time.

Hint: A vet from ATP&N is unlikely to be an expert on the matter.

Juror No. 8

Banned
Sep 25, 2012

But, but, but... I thought only terrorists and dictators used WMDs! Does that mean we have a terrorist, dictatorial government?

Don't answer that! I don't want to know! I'm gonna go watch American Idol and drink some fluoride instead!

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004

There is nothing chemical (its atomic warfare) about DU, it's literally the military industrial complex tossing nuke waste we don't want from civilian/military reactors into someone else backyard to deal with.

More like a slow genocide of a population through increased cancers and deformed children. All the economic troubles these things bring are just a bonus for the dumper.

All of this radiation, although small amounts add up over time to increase our background radiation worldwide. A few more plants pop like Fuku and we might as well have had it out with the Commies. Same difference in the long run, just a less flashy of a way to commit the inevitable slow genetic suicide of atomic warfare.

Spreading that mutating love. GO USA!

DU is pretty awesome though, it punches right through anything like butter, tank armor, children's thyroids etc.

Last edited:

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
There is nothing chemical (its atomic warfare) about DU, it's literally the military industrial complex tossing nuke waste we don't want from civilian/military reactors into someone else backyard to deal with.

More like a slow genocide of a population through increased cancers and deformed children. All the economic troubles these things bring are just a bonus for the dumper.

All of this radiation, although small amounts add up over time to increase our background radiation worldwide. A few more plants pop like Fuku and we might as well have had it out with the Commies. Same difference, just less flashy of a way to commit genetic suicide.

Time to increase the meds.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004

In other words you attack the messenger when you deal with a problem you have no talking point for or knowledge on the subject. Sad. The ignorance here is astounding unless it is approved and rubber-stamped by the USA corporate media.

Anyhow,
Desert Storm/Kosovo vet here. DU is a big problem for many who served back then. Far more then is polite to speak of in mainstream US culture. Obviously.

Last edited:

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
In other words you attack the messenger when you deal with a problem you have no talking point for or knowledge on the subject. Sad.

Everything you said in your last post isn't rooted in reality.

From calling it atomic warfare to being some sort of insidious plot to cause slow death through cancer and other disease. Its absolute science fiction.

But somehow, the goal is to spread around more radiation to increase background levels? Are you kidding? How does spreading around depleted uranium increase background levels when the natural non depleted form still exists. If anything this would cause a dilution effect rather than a concentration or increase in background radiation.

Of course all of this nonsense is just that, nonsense. The purpose for using DU wasn't because of its non lethal side effects (or at least not anytime soon that is) it was because of its lethal applications. DU is a very hard/heavy metal capable of penetrating other softer/lighter metals. Metals, it just so happens, that are commonly used to armor vehicles.

But please continue with the tin foil hat talk about DU being used to cause mutations as its primary application.

MrColin

Platinum Member
May 21, 2003
That's a pretty callous way to ask the question. You can disagree with politicians who take the country to war, but why attack the soldiers who are merely following orders?

I'm not attacking anyone, why are you so defensive?

Juror No. 8

Banned
Sep 25, 2012

From calling it atomic warfare to being some sort of insidious plot to cause slow death through cancer and other disease. Its absolute science fiction.

But somehow, the goal is to spread around more radiation to increase background levels? Are you kidding? How does spreading around depleted uranium increase background levels when the natural non depleted form still exists. If anything this would cause a dilution effect rather than a concentration or increase in background radiation.

Of course all of this nonsense is just that, nonsense. The purpose for using DU wasn't because of its non lethal side effects (or at least not anytime soon that is) it was because of its lethal applications. DU is a very hard/heavy metal capable of penetrating other softer/lighter metals. Metals, it just so happens, that are commonly used to armor vehicles.

But please continue with the tin foil hat talk about DU being used to cause mutations as its primary application.

You know, there are ways to destroy armored vehicles without poisoning the environment and victimizing the innocent people who have to live there long after hostilities come to an end.

Since that is the case, why does the U.S. federal government Mafia still insist on using poisonous munitions?

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
You know, there are ways to destroy armored vehicles without poisoning the environment and victimizing the innocent people who have to live there long after hostilities come to an end.

Since that is the case, why does the U.S. federal government Mafia still insist on using poisonous munitions?

Generally warfare isn't a PR tool. Collateral damage is part of any war.

I am not trying to excuse the actions and methods we use but there is nothing "clean" about going to war. The objective is to inflict as much harm on the enemy until they no longer exists or give up. Quit deluding yourself.

Please don't read that I condone the use of DU, I don't. But that doesn't change the usefulness of it as weapon in battle.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004

How is it NOT atomic warfare? That is exactly what DU is, spreading depleted uranium waste we don't want into a populated area.

Let me guess, its really Depleted Umbrellas. Oh, my bad.

If you dont know wtf you are talking about, may I suggest not making yourself look stupid.

We have many vets who are suffering from DU. Our tank boys literally lived and ate with spent fuel rounds next to their heads. For months. It is all over Iraq now.

When you fire a DU round not only does it pulverize its target the rounds tip smashes into tiny particles that get everywhere contaminating the surrounding area.

We called them "spent fuel fleas" as they are hot particles that "hop" all over making a huge problem to clean up.

Some particles hang out for 30-50, yes even 1000s of years. Spreading the love for generations to come.

May I suggest beefing up on your physics? All this is common knowledge. The problem is the scope is so huge no one wants to deal with the bigger problem of nukes and nuke power itself. (plus the nuke industry is one of the biggest corporate welfare queens sucking off the public teat.)

Last edited:

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
How is it NOT atomic warfare? That is exactly what DU is, spreading depleted uranium waste we don't want into a populated area.

Let me guess, its really Depleted Umbrellas. Oh, my bad.

If you dont know wtf you are talking about, may I suggest not making yourself look stupid.

We have many vets who are suffering from DU. Our tank boys literally lived and ate with spent fuel rounds next to their heads. For months. It is all over Iraq now.

When you fire a DU round not only does it pulverize its target the rounds rip turns into tiny particles that get everywhere contaminating the surrounding area..

Simple. DU isn't deployed because of its radiation properties. If it didn't have this side effect, it would still be utilized because of its ability to cut through other metals. This is the primary reason for using it on the battlefield. It doesn't do much good to shoot your enemy with something that is going to kill them years later. This is why its not atomic warfare.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
It doesn't do much good to shoot your enemy with something that is going to kill them years later.

Don't think so? Think again. The money in war nowadays is in the cleanup and rebuilding. Why do you think old Cheney there was pushing for the war?

Capitalism is not about destroying markets, it is about conquering (and creating) new markets. Be it a lucrative cancer treating industry, all the better for drug companies etc.

Also the nuke industry gets to sell more radiation to hospitals to treat the cancers from their radiation.

Capitalism rocks. Capitalism + warfare = how the top 1% got to where they are for generations.

You are quite naive about how the real world works I must say. Economic warfare is literally the warfare of the 21st century. Always has been.

Romans would salt a conquered lands farmland after the legions moved through.

This is elementary warfare 101. Pick up Sun Tzu's "art of warfare" sometime.

Last edited:

Juror No. 8

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Don't think so? Think again. The money in war nowadays is in the cleanup and rebuilding. Why do you think old Cheney there was pushing for the war?

Capitalism is not about destroying markets, it is about conquering (and creating) new markets. Be it a lucrative cancer treating industry, all the better for drug companies etc.

Also the nuke industry gets to sell more radiation to hospitals to treat the cancers from their radiation.

Capitalism rocks. Capitalism + warfare = how the top 1% got to where they are for generations.

You are quite naive about how the real world works I must say. Get out some.

But, but, but... I thought war was for spreading "freedom" and "democracy". I thought we fought wars "to end all wars".

Say it ain't so!

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011

Capitalism rocks.

How does any of this refute my original statement. You don't win a war by killing the enemy after the war is over.

So now you are going from saying DU is atomic warfare to saying capitalism is some other form of warfare.

Again, is anything you say going to be rooted in reality anytime soon?

I stand by my statement several posts ago.