any Van halen fans here?

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Are there any live versions of Dance the Night Away floating around out there?

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
there were a couple of good songs with sammy, but the band has never been the same with DLR

:)

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
I could be wrong but I think they played Dance the Night Away during one of their SNL appearances, might be able to find a video or mp3 of that if you look around hard enough.

dsfunk

Golden Member
May 28, 2004
Sammy haters. Sammy is the man, great musician, but yes, van halen had some great stuff with DLR.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Yes, there is a live version from Japan, of DTNA. There's a video of it, too.

All kinds of live DLR stuff out there....not too much of it is good, though. Partially the fault of it being audience recording, and part of it being that DLR didn't bother to actually SING much in concert. But occasionally he did, and some of it sounds okay.
I have tons of it, plus the Gene Simmons-financed demos for VH. Interesting, includes several songs that were never released....a few either have guitar parts that were later used in other songs, and I remember one song called Voodoo Queen that used the music that later became Mean Street. That Mean Street solo was used in another unreleased song, too. The demos have some of the old standards that are arranged a bit differently, so that's pretty cool.

BTW, what's all the Sammy-hating for? VH never had any #1 records with DLR, but every album with Sammy went #1.
I grew up on DLR Van Halen, but Van Hagar rocks, too. Sammy probably is the best hard rock singer ever, particularly considering his longevity. Plus, he can still wail now. How many rock singers in their upper 50's can still sing anything they ever did in the exact same key?
Van Hagar caught a lot of flak for some of their radio songs, but Sammy was just singing to what Eddie wrote.....it wasn't his fault they had a few keyboard songs.
People tend to focus in on these popular songs, and forget that every album with Sammy had some rocking-ass tunes on it, too.

BTW, am I a VH fan? See sig

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Pacfanweb
Yes, there is a live version from Japan, of DTNA. There's a video of it, too.

All kinds of live DLR stuff out there....not too much of it is good, though. Partially the fault of it being audience recording, and part of it being that DLR didn't bother to actually SING much in concert. But occasionally he did, and some of it sounds okay.
I have tons of it, plus the Gene Simmons-financed demos for VH. Interesting, includes several songs that were never released....a few either have guitar parts that were later used in other songs, and I remember one song called Voodoo Queen that used the music that later became Mean Street. That Mean Street solo was used in another unreleased song, too. The demos have some of the old standards that are arranged a bit differently, so that's pretty cool.

BTW, what's all the Sammy-hating for? VH never had any #1 records with DLR, but every album with Sammy went #1.
I grew up on DLR Van Halen, but Van Hagar rocks, too. Sammy probably is the best hard rock singer ever, particularly considering his longevity. Plus, he can still wail now. How many rock singers in their upper 50's can still sing anything they ever did in the exact same key?
Van Hagar caught a lot of flak for some of their radio songs, but Sammy was just singing to what Eddie wrote.....it wasn't his fault they had a few keyboard songs.
People tend to focus in on these popular songs, and forget that every album with Sammy had some rocking-ass tunes on it, too.

BTW, am I a VH fan? See sig

:thumbsup: on the quote and ass!

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
At night I walk this stinkin' street past the crazies on my block
And I see the same old faces and I hear that same old talk
And I'm searching for the latest thing, a break in this routine
I'm talkin' some new kicks, ones like you ain't never seen
This is home, this is Mean Street
(This is) Yes-ah home, the only one I know

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
BTW, there is some live stuff with Gary Cherone out there that is very high quality. He did a lot of the DLR-era songs, and did a good job on them, too.
Good versions of him doing Mean Street, Romeo Delight, and Unchained that kick ass.

Oh, and I sang Ain't Talking Bout Love with him in Charlotte, NC when he came down into the audience. That was cool, even if it was Gary, and not Sammy or Dave.